1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Drive: 2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Vernon, British Columbia – A few years ago we ran a small event here at Autos.ca to debunk the common belief that hybrid equals ‘slow’. With Hemi vs. Hybrid we showed that a hybrid (the Lexus GS 450h) could be both fuel efficient and fast – and that a Hemi (a Chrysler 300C with Multi-Displacement System) could be both fast and fuel efficient. It all depends on how you use your right foot.

First Drive: 2012 Infiniti M35h hybrid - Autos.ca

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll never understand why people prefer a jolt every gear change to smoothness. If I am driving a stick, then ok. I can choose then and adjust it myself. Driving an automatic with a standard gearbox will never be as nice as driving an automatic with an eCVT. Not to mention that with an eCVT it will be more responsive and faster because there are no shift lags.

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I never stood why people think engine revving up and down as you accelerates is normal. Peak horsepower is at certain rpm. Shifting gear avoids staying in the peak power. What's more amazing is that dyno test is performed in one gear.

4. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    M35h gets 31mpg City, 38mpg Hwy.
    M37 gets 20mpg City, 31mpg Hwy.

38mpg highway is impressive for a 360hp performance car!!!

And the 31mpg city is also impressive (depending on how you drive?)

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The output is only as good as the input that was provided in the original article:

(100km/7.5L)(3.78L/1Gal)(0.62mi/1km)= 31mpg
    (100km/6.1L)(3.78L/1Gal)(0.62mi/1km)=38mpg
    (100km/11.4)(3.78L/1Gal)(0.62mi/1km)=20mpg
    (100km/7.6L)(3.78L/1Gal)(0.62mi/1km)=31mpg

Thanks for the link. It appears there are two different test methods being used, and both are listed on the website that you referred me to. When you hover your mouse of the green arrow, it says the new method uses highway speeds of 80mph, air conditioner on during the test, and part conducted in cold weather. For those of us like me that live in sunny southern california with a beautiful ocean breeze, both cold weather and air conditioning are irrelevant. :D
    (people with fancy hair dues that never put the windows down and wear long sleeves and long pants on 85 degree days ... well, they'd probably be driving full size SUVs anyway)

*I wonder if "New" and "Old" relates to age. 16yr olds versus 80yr olds. :D

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• MPG1.JPG
      MPG1.JPG
      File size:
      65.9 KB
      Views:
  7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

old one refers to pre-2009 epa testing and is there for older cars

8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

again with no trunk... what happened with lion-s saving space?

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's a Canadian test, with Canadian fuel efficiency numbers quoted. In Canada, we are still in the 20th century, using the old EPA testing methods. So your mileage will REALLY vary. ;)

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah what David said. I did find the highway numbers pretty good (but then again, it depends on the speed limit in your area. At 80-100km/h in my area, it works out fine on our Camry but not so much on the Prius). I'd add 0.5-1L/100km to the city number to get the number that most people will get.

11. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are indeed differences in mileage on the Canadian, European, and American tests. None of these seem to have been redone to handle hybrids correctly, but the new 5 part epa test seems the closest to real world. It is fine to compare euro to euro, canadian to canadian, and epa to epa. The 2 tests do not do an adequate job measuring highspeed, so I would go for the new epa 5 part test as the most accurate in modern day california and most of the country. Now there is some math going from 2 to 5 and that seems a little sketchy. If you accelerate 0-60 in 16 seconds and don't go above 50 the old epa is appropriate :)

12. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it is a matter of personal preference. These can be studied in neuobiology and have to do with triggering a feeling of connectedness. The general population prefers smooth and prefers sounds to increase with speed. These things combine in transmissions like that in the infiniti. There are some in the population that do not follow. Preference to rapid changes and speed are disjointed, but as people age their preferences move to less jearky and more slow, so there is some age involved with these preferences, and this can be found in the literature.

Trying to convince someone to change preference is possible, but this is often just a bullying principle. You can make it uncomfotable for someone to express their preference. I take these questions this way. Why doesn't everyone love pink. Pink is the best color. I can't believe some people say they like green. They are wrong. If you get in a group where the majority condemn those with a preference for green, those that actually prefer green will be quiet, but this will not make them love pink.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've become too lazy to look up all the conversions and then do it manually. I use Google as my unit converter, unless it doesn't have the unit (e.g. PS).

7.5 l per 100 km in mpg in Google gives me 31.3619444 miles per gallon

One of my favorite conversions is 50 mpg in teaspoons per mile. :)