1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FIRST DRIVE REPORT: 2016 TOYOTA MIRAI

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by hill, Aug 25, 2015.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    This article IMO, was definately not written to reinforce FC fanboy-ism by any stretch of the imagination.

First Drive Report: 2016 Toyota Mirai Hydrogen Fuel Cell Sedan | Transport Evolved

Still, its honesty is refreshing without any marketing sugar coating.

#1 hill, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was at that event last week. Nice to see the car and drive it and hear different folks from the state and air resources board speak. The quality of the car is at the Lexus level no doubt. I hate the new "buttons" that everyone is going to and the screens were very busy to keep track of while driving but I'm sure that will go away in time. The acceleration wasn't spectacular by EV standards but was nice not having an engine kicking on like the Prius.

austingreen and orenji like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the car is the least of my concerns.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty damning but that's the takeaway whenever hydrogen FCVs are given an honest analysis. Toyota doesn't walk on water.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  5. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is one review, don't get too excited yet! From what I took away from the test drive, when I drove it, is that it does everything it needs to do, and does it well. It is a well built car as expected from Toyota. :)

However, remember its still a 4 door sedan, that was designed to achieve exceptional MPG, and work on new technology. Technogy that is creating new jobs for our country.

But, you really cant get too excited about it......... other then it looks cool, runs on Hydrogen, gets great MPG, and is the future, like it or not. Yea your tax dollars are helping fund it :(, but if not this then your tax dollars would go to some other use! :eek:

Look at this way, your GEN II was WAY more expensive then the price that Toyota sold it to you for, so they helped you out and now you can help them out! :D:D

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    if you mean the same way WalMart's Chinese-made goods create minimum-wage sales jobs - Great. If you're thinking higher pay manufacturing jobs, perhaps you're confusing the hydrogen car with the Tesla or Leaf? They're at least manufactured here. The U. S. doesn't even build the Prius, much less their hydrogen car . . . . or, perhaps you live in Japan? Well yea - then congrat's.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Last I looked, Toyota builds more cars in the USA then Tesla or Nissan, and there was talk of the next Prius being built in the USA.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    That's fine - but the OP isn't about other models. And unless I misunderstood, it looked like your post intimated the hydrogen car is manufactured here - more U.S. jobs, etc, which isn't the case.

9. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The jobs would be created building the hydrogen infrastructure.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Oh I see. Yes I suppose that will create some new construction jobs - albeit on the backs of taxpayers. And a batch of maintenance workers' jobs as well, since the compressors & storage tanks, high pressure delivery plumbing etc will have to be replaced on a regular cycle - maybe @ 10yr intervals? Not exactly jobs on the scale of major auto production - but yea, beggars can't be choosers.

orenji likes this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, the author owns a RAV4 EV so I can see how this might be a somewhat biased review. ;)

However, the author brings up points like SUV class weight, 4 passenger seating, high price, the need for financial incentives, high fuel pricing, etc. that have been used in the past here on PC against the Volt. Also, the reviewer literally asked, "Who is the car for?", a question used (by one person here) against the volt.

:whistle: Oh the irony........

I think H2 has a future in the commercialized transportation field.

Jeff N and Trollbait like this.
  12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice to hear a first hand report!

Fairly disappointing, but not surprising, except for the noise factor. I was hoping the drive quality would be superior, and the performance at least be better that ICE vehicles, which it apparently isn't.

I know the water was mentioned before, but I was a bit surprised at this section...
    So it is suggested, when returning home, to stop on the street, and tell the car to ... "relieve" itself of this brownish liquid? Yes, the neighbors will love this.
    Talk about a change to driver behavior:rolleyes:

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is no brown liquids, it's the same as if you parked your car with the A/C being on, you would have some water drain out. There is a fan you can turn on when you park that disapates the water into the air.

The drive quality was Lexus like, it's a very quite car, and it performs with enough power to be safely driven.

sdtundra likes this.
  14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    that's what everybody keeps saying - however we've already posted the statistics here on PC, that show that fleet/buses are much more expensive to operate then the typical diesel fleet buses. So somebody's not being upfront.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So hydrogen is over $13/kg. There is going to be over $7000 on that hydrogen fuel card at the end of a typical lease. I wonder if you can use it at gas stations to fuel your other car when you have to go beyond the hydrogen network.:rolleyes:

The Corolla comparison is interesting. Guess this makes a Volt one more appropriate.

#15 Trollbait, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Fuel cell's real future will likely be in renewable power storage, or primary power generation on a less centralized grid.

For vehicles, the real hurdle is the hydrogen. Get the auto reformers down is size so the cars and trucks can use some liquid fuel, and then FCEVs might have a shot by using those fuels more efficiently, and eliminating the majority or all of the non CO2 emissions compared to the ICE.

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    "But when we asked for a cup to try the brownish liquid dripping from the car, sales staff did not oblige."

The reviewers words.
    Could the reviewer be lying? Sure, and I agree more reviews will be a good thing.

orenji likes this.
  18. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    If the water was brownish it was probably from road dust/dirt. The water I've personally seen emitted from the Mirai did not look obviously brown although I didn't capture it in a drinking glass either....

19. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Most likely, that or from the exhaust pipes, although I am skeptical that should discolor the water.

20. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand why Toyota would have all this extra stuff. Wouldn't it be easier to have the water continuously drain at 4oz/mile and then when you pull in to the garage there will be some drippage, but it should be similar to an AC condensor (as someone says above).