1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Encounter with a "Hater"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but I had to post it. This is the first time I've ever had someone "pissed off" at me for doing nothing. Guess I really am in red neck town.

Also, this is NOT a flame-bait so if I see this thread turn into another "those guys will lifted trucks are a****", I will lock this thread.

DaveFDMS et al, maybe you'd like to pay this guy a visit cause he sure ain't making you guys look good.

Scenario:

turn right onto a secondary road in this huge shopping complex (one of those that have individual stores laid out across several blocks within a "common" area).

It's snowing and the roads are covered. They're usually two lanes each way, with some narrower ones having one wide lane each way.

I'm coming up behind this lifted Ford pickup who's in the middle of the road. I don't blame him. The road is snow covered so who knows where the lane markers are as long as you stick on your side of the road.

So I just follow him. He was travelling kinda slow which is odd cause I thought these folks usually drive the speed limit in these kind of conditions. Anyway so we pull up to the light and he finally found the lane markers so he pulls to the right and I just follow him and stopped behind him with plenty of space (just in case someone behind me can't stop in time). Someone else pulls up beside him (it is a two lane road).

So the light turns green and we all go. For whatever reason, he was accelerating slowly and the Tahoe on the next lane has cross the intersection before the guy in front of me had half his truck pass the stop line.

I pulled out to overtake him and then he indicates and pulls into my lane. Remember that I was a good distance behind him at the light so it's not like he aggressively cut me off but it seemed like a normal lane change for this city anyway.

I got annoyed cause the whole point was to pass him since he was intent on doing 30km/h in a 50 zone so I pull to the right lane and overtake him.

Just for fun, I decided to see if I could see into the cabin (kinda hard since it is lifted).... and guess what I saw...

Yep. a bird. He flipped me a bird for what reason I can't understand. I never honked or flashed the lights. I didn't tailgate him out of the lights. He must've thought I was "pissed" and was gonna give him the bird for "cutting" in front of me. Guess he was just fooling himself.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry to hear about that. Perhaps he was drunk. I have a hard time thinking he was a "Prius hater" as he probably couldn't even tell what kind of car was behind him. Perhaps just a "small car hater"? :)

3. TalkingMuffin

TalkingMuffin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    worst. story. evaaar...

does that pass for road rage in Canada?!? sheeeeeyit... you need to commute one day in the DC area, my man.

1 person likes this.
  4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    TP, didn't you momma teach you to never pass on the right ?

5. Erikon

Erikon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL! Mebe he was just fed up with everyone passing him that day! Last week during a storm I came up on a pickup straddling the two lanes going about 15 (45 MPH road), his rear wheels spinning like mad! I was in the left lane and had to slip by him to get to work on time, and someone else in a jeep zoomed by at that moment on his right! I can imagine he gave us both the finger! But a 2x4 pickup trying to get anywhere in snow?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    do not know.. maybe he was hungry LOL. He was heading towards one of the restaurants....

You need to come up instead :p. I think I'll stay out of the DC area :D

:decision: lol

LOL.. try a RWD C230 with AS tyres. It was driving down the middle of the highway to the university diagonally. I was waiting for him to straighten out so that I can pass.

Speaking of which, there was a new 2nd Gen Nissan Murano upside-down (passenger side roof caved) on the side of the highway, near an exit.

And you guys say we on the west coast can't drive :rolleyes:. It was just 6cm of new snow and there were accidents EVERYWHERE.

7. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Slower than conditions allow speed, poor lane following and seeking food, the driver's blood alcohol level might have been elevated. The hand gesture fits the pattern.

In Huntsville, I was once stopped after leaving an all-night pancake place at 2:00 AM because I was driving slower than the officer thought I should be driving. A very cold night, I was going 25 mph on an access road posted 40 mph ... trying to let the car warm-up. The officer asked if I'd been drinking and my answer was sober enough ... no field sobriety test.

Bob Wilson

8. JoesMorgue

JoesMorgue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Before I got my Prius, I was driving a 2x6 pickup. That is the WORST for snow.
    A) 2 tires per side mean more weight must be on the axle for the
    tires to sink in the snow.
    2) Its a pickup! There is no weight on the rear axle!

I LEARNED! (Goodyear Wrangers from factory) That V10 I had was a GREAT ICE but, in snow, clutch ONLY in 1st gear, shift to 2nd - clutch ONLY, 3rd clutch - THEN you could touch the throttle.

Quite often, I was one of the fastest vehicles thru the intersection doing that. After I got rid of the Wranglers and put on some Perelli (sp?) Scorpians (sp?) I didn't have that problem. I could accelerate kinda normally in the snow in the lower gears with the throttle.

9. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    geesh.

It's hard to know what motivates the haters sometimes. I've certainly seen an increase since owning the prius. It's discouraging that so many people are resentful towards a car....

10. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry to hear about your experience.
    Last night on was on the highway doing the speed limit in the right lane and I had this full size pick-up riding on my bumper. He could have switched lanes easily but chose to tailgate me.
    I think it is just the ignorant mentality of the pick-up/SUV driver that they believe they deserve control control of the road because of the size of their vehicle.
    Plus, I found it surprising that when I searched "Prius" on Facebook, I saw so many Prius Hate groups. Wow, get a life people!

11. lolder

lolder New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you own a hybrid, it's often assumed you are a liberal and believe in Anthropological Global Warming.

12. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh great, so now it's a "make fun of Canadians" thread. jk :cool:

Yeah, not everything in the world make sense. At least not to the onlooker. I had a friend explain that one day he was honked at, yelled at, flipped off, and veered at for the way he was driving but he just received he call that his wife was in labor and he was determined to get there. Just goes to show that you never know what's in the mind of the crazy driver beside you.

Though I do think it would have been funnier if you had been in your Smart. :D

13. new2hybrid

new2hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have about a 2 mile trip to work with several lights. Is quite entertaining to see people zoom off when it is green, to hit another red light. It is scary to have trucks fly around you on both sides when the light turns green. I am not slow, but don't see the point to floor it to just have to stop at the next light. See it more now that I'm in a Prius. I think there are a lot of Prius haters. I feel like saying to the drivers of the trucks flying by, guess wasting gas isn't a concern? Need to take a class for anxiety free Prius driving .

14. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but I had to post it. This is the first time I've ever had someone "pissed off" at me for doing nothing.

I guess you are not married :D

1 person likes this.
  15. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ironically, I had an experience during this past week while driving back to work after my lunch break. Now, we all have those areas, where no matter how you drive, you WILL get stuck at the next light due to the bad timing of them, bad luck, whatever. Either way, I have a spot where I turn left and there's 2 lights within less than 100 yards. Of course, these never are green at the same time for whatever reason. So, I go through the first one and stop at the second. That light turns green, and those of us in line start to accelerate. Well, apparently some guy in his big pick-up decided that people in the right hand lane weren't accelerating quickly enough, so he darts over into the left where I'm at. Well, he chooses to get right up on my bumper and stays there. Speed limit is 45 and I was accelerating through about 42 at the time. Anyway, we crest the hill and of course the light at the bottom is red, with a good line of cars lined up. Well, he jumps back over to the right hand lane and decides to slow down really slow and I notice he's glaring over at me (I have tinted windows on my Prius, so he really couldn't see me). Apparently, I should have been right on the bumper of the car that was a good distance ahead of me on the road, atleast in his mind. I don't get it sometimes. Where did he think he was going to get? It's not like he ended up first in line at the next light which had just turned red on him. There were about 8 cars in front of him at the light! I don't get it, some people just do NOT think when they are on the road!

I'm not one of those people that drives slower than the limit, accelerates to 60 in 3 minutes, etc. I drive around the speed limit, usually about 5 over. I have a 4 mile drive to work and there are 9 traffic lights during that drive. Is saving 5 seconds really worth driving and acting like that? I guess some of us are just have more common sense.

I had an experience when I had my Civic Hybrid too. Ironically, both times were people in large pick-up trucks. Neither were raised or any mods from what I could tell. Just the people driving them needed to be b-slapped I think.

Oh well, whatcha gonna do! I just keep on driving and going where I need to go.

16. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could you tell if the truck was a "gasser" or a diesel? I've come to
    understand that diesels can be somewhat irregular on start up and
    before fully warmed up in cold/very cold temps -- irregular idle, slow
    acceleration, surging, bucking, etc.

Perhaps Jayman or some other techno-savvy member could provide
    more info on this.

At least around here, most lifted pick-ups are gassers. But, if it was a
    diesel, it is possible that the driver was angry and in a sh!tty frame of
    mind due to the trucks cantankerousness.

Could be he was shooting everyone the bird on general principals.
    He may have been "hating" everyone, and was not Prius specific. :p

17. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's unfortunate, probably uncalled for, but let it go. Why dwell on it? You ran into a "hater," I doubt Prius had anything to do with it.

18. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe he was pissed since his Prius was at the dealers, because they put 5w20 instead of 0 w20 and he had to fight to get 0w20 put in :D
    Really the type of vehicule they drive has nothing to do with there driving
    A person can also be an a$$whole in a Prius ( I mostly find people in small cars to be the worst drive)

19. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe he was just trying to gesture that Prius is "Number One" when it comes to FE!

That's what I'm telling myself when this happens to me!

20. Airbalancer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

:hail: