1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First ever Toyota. I'm not feeling the Toyota boasting quality

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Kgcolbyiii, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Kgcolbyiii

Kgcolbyiii New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm wondering if any one else is having issues.

I've got a new Prius 4 with 1500 miles.

Right window stopped working.
    Traction control light won't turn off
    ABS won't turn off
    (!) Won't turn off
    Cruise control force shuts off at 75+ then activating regen or something (feels like i put it in B)causing the car behind me to brake or dodge

Braking regen doesn't regen.

My first Toyota and import. Toyota has my car trying to find the problem. Still unable to find out why the computer is spazzing.

Is this normal? I've been a strong supporter of domestic cars since I was 15 with zero issues and 200k on original transmissions. This is really not swaying me to love Toyota as they wouldn't even give me a rental while they have my car.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your car is under warranty, you don't have to figure this out on your own, just bring it back to the dealer and let them address it. You can have a free donut there and a free car wash when you're done.

The gator, NickInNJ, 348 and 2 others like this.
  3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues. I have owned 5 Toyotas over the years, and not one has ever given me any issue. So this is extremely rare. I am sure they will figure it out, and you will enjoy your new car soon. TOYOTA did not become the biggest car company in the world without go reason. Toyota builds the best cars in the world. :)

Priusguy78213 and Xterra72 like this.
  4. solrunner

solrunner Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That really sucks. Sounds like they sold you a lemon. Hope they can fix it or trade you for a working one.

NickInNJ likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a no brainer except that I'm a little curious as to how you know that your regenerative brakes---aren't.

There's enough warning lights in the cockpit to warrant a return to the dealer.
    If you're not happy where you bought it, pop an angry red flare over the owner's desk, not the weenies that are running the dealership.

Have you already filled out the customer satisfaction survey?
    If not, remind them that you're going to. Soon.
    If you already have filled out the CSS, then tell the head weenie that you're going to be their social media nightmare.
    I'm not much of a fan of Toyota's North American Corporate Customer Service branch, but there is one out there somewhere if this drags out to a mulit-visit problem.

You don't have to be ugly, or rude.
    You don't have the right to a free replacement rental, but you do have the right to tell all your friends and neighbors, and friends of friends, and their neighbors that there are better dealerships out there.....but that's step 15 or 16.

You're at step 1.
    Get the car to the dealer.
    Arrange for alternate transportation.
    Tell them nicely but firmly that you're displeased and give them a chance to fix it.

One chance.
    One time.

Then?
    Lock and load and proceed to step 2.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even better, don't drop a bomb at 11am and walk away from your internet device.

YukYukLee likes this.
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sounds like
    1. You locked out window controls to the other 3 windows. It's stupid that Toyota programs the lockout to all switches including the driver. Should just lock out the switch at the other doors.
    2, 3, and 4, sounds like you have flat tires. Pump it up.
    5. When I cancel cruise at 75, the car slows down quickly like any car going 75. Prius is no different. A car close behind me will brake if they're following too closely.
    6. How do you know braking regen doesn't regen? Are you saying the battery meter never fills up to full bars? It's not supposed to. That's normal.

Toyota is not a luxury brand. I don't know of many dealers offering free loaners unless the repair is expected to take more than a day.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope.
    Your experience is NOT typical.
    AT ALL.

Good Luck with the Dodge you will undoubtedly be buying soon.

PriusGuy32 and ETC(SS) like this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ Dodge dealerships at least offer loaner cars.
    They have a LOT of them!

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  11. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I smell a troll...

NickInNJ and PriusGuy32 like this.
  12. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's possible for any make/model to have something go wrong. Keep us posted on what your dealership did to fix your issues. Good luck!

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ten hours and counting...

14. Kgcolbyiii

Kgcolbyiii New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I have my car back. They said the computer saw a glitch and spazzed the car. After restarting the computer all signs went away. They can't remake the problem though the computer recorded a serious glitch.

When I got to the dealer right window completely stopped. The dealer was confused.

As for the regen the gauge never moved on the charging. But now shows after reboot.
    The breaking wasn't using the regen and going right to pads.

If it happens two more times they said it applies to lemon law

mmmodem and orenji like this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok i guess that's a USA zipcode

16. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My 2012 has 65k on it and no window probs, no computer glitches. Maybe it's because I began interacting on Prius Chat before anything bad happened?

retired4999 likes this.
  17. Kgcolbyiii

Kgcolbyiii New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think I may of had just some bad luck.

I hope it doesn't pop up again. The car seems to be running smooth again which I'm happy about.

Today a truck drove in front of me on the freeway kicking up a rock and gouging the paint in my hood.

18. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Bummer, but every new car has something happen to, scratch, ding.......then it's clear sailing for sometime. Enjoy the car and enjoy PriusChat. If you are in SOCAL we have meets every so often and have a big one planned at the Toyota Museum in Torrance next Saturday. :)

19. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First thing I did after FuelMiser posted was google the zip to see it was San Marcos CA. I then googled the User ID and found it active on several sites, so I didn't have any reason to assume the OP was a troll. I'd have been similarly upset if my 2014 failed like that after only 1,500 miles, though I probably would have phrased my post differently. I would certainly have indicated I just dropped the car at the dealer was waiting to see what they find. The mention of a rental car made me think the dealer had the car for some time and couldn't figure things out. I have never been offered a free rental, though various salesmen have given us their car to use, even for routine maintenance and warranty work.

That said, the problem has been resolved for the moment and hopefully it won't recur. It might have been as simple as a loose connection that caused the computer to lose contact with many of the sensors the Prius has. Obviously, given the exceptional track record of the Prius, this is an anomaly and I would not let it unduly influence my opinion of the Prius or Toyota. I was also once a strong supporter of domestic car companies, specifically GM, until GM (and the defunct Peoria Pontiac) screwed us over on our '99 Montana van. The bailouts didn't help, especially after the government let GM off the hook for much of their loan and they discontinued both Oldsmobile and Pontiac. I made the switch to the Prius because it was the best hybrid for us, specifically because of the hatchback design. If not for that, we'd probably have "settled" for a Ford C-Max or opted for a small SUV to replace the van. We travel a lot and I hate dealing with trunks.

m.wynn likes this.
  20. socal13

socal13 livin in the foothills...

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    What date is the prius meet and do you have details? Thanks