1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First fill-up, 47.33MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tundrwd, Oct 26, 2008.

1. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just filled up my '09 last Fri nite. Got 47.33 on the first tank. "GeeWhiz" display showed 49.1MPG, so it's a tad optimistic. Anyway, filled up about the same time (332 miles) as I would have in my previous car ('05 Hyundai Tucson), and used less than half of what it would have.

I don't think it's too bad for a 60 mile, 2-way commute, most of it highway at 60 or 65MPH.

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    That's very good for a brand new Prius. Usually new owners take a few months to get to EPA values. Hope it keeps getting better for you.

BTW, that's only one fillup, so you can't really be sure of the mileage calculated, mainly because you don't know how full the car was when you started, and you can't be sure how full you got it (all due to the bladder and the stealer, er dealer).

Wait until you get 3-5 fillups and average out over that to get a more accurate idea.

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just curious what tire pressures you are running. Increased pressure will make an instant boost to fuel economy. I don't run 42/40 now. I might try it someday, although 38/36 lets me feel the bumps more than the stock 35/33 setting.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I got 54 MPG on my first tank a few weeks ago in my new touring but I was running 41/39 tire pressures from day one.

5. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I'm running the stock 35/33 right now. I've got some gravel roads to contend with, and wanted to make sure I got a "feel" for what it's "supposed" to be like before messing around with various settings.

I want to establish a good baseline before doing anything, so I can see what does what for my driving style and route, etc.

Probably 2-3 more tanks before messing around with tire pressure, etc. And I probably won't increase it that much, since I have a bit of gravel to deal with.

6. lovemygreys

lovemygreys New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    We picked up our Prius last Friday and drove it quite a bit this weekend...had 47.2 at our first fill up - A lot of highway driving at 65.