1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

first fillup 53mpg versus eco estimate 48mpg?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by novasquid, Mar 18, 2013.

1. novasquid

novasquid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    i filled up my prius C for the first time over the weekend, and the trip B eco reading was showing an estimate of ~48mpg. the trip B hasn't been reset since i rolled out of the dealership. my manual calculations showed 53mpg (318 miles / 5.967 gallons). my understanding from reading other posts was to expect 2-5mpg below the eco estimates. but it's actually 5mpg higher?

i know, it's just the first fillup, but has anyone else ever experienced a higher actual mpg than the estimate?

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is a lot of uncertainty in both displayed MPG and calculated MPG. Neither should really be called 'actual'.

However, you have made a good start, keep it up. But don't be too disappointed if your next tank is lower.

3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Never trust that the dealerships "full" tank was actually full, either. So, first tank is hard to gauge.

xpcman likes this.
  4. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my first negative calculation from my car. I started logging the difference a while back on my fuelly log, and I'm always about 2 to 3 mpg less than what my car says. Today I decided to drive faster than normal (70-75 mph instead of my usual 55 mph) for about 40 minutes. The result was a 1.4 mpg increase over what the car told me I got. Quite intriguing.