1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Flat at 10,168 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by calprius, Mar 15, 2006.

1. calprius

calprius New Member

Hi All,
    I apologize if this has been covered - couldn't find it with a search.
    Had my first flat (right front) Friday, with a 10k mile service already scheduled. OEM, rotated at 5K, I check pressure about once a month, have kept it at original pressure.
    The tire had no visible road hazard damage. Neither the tow truck guy nor I could see anything which looked more significant than the equivalent of a hang nail on the side. Toyota told me that the tire was driven on low pressure, overheated and can't be patched because of sidewall damage. Perfectly plausible starting with the low. Question 1: Why is only one tire low? In 35 years of driving I've never gotten less than the rated mileage from a tire unless there was something obvious, like a five inch nail. The tread looks fine, even etc.
    Question 2: I had already intended to switch over to Michelin when these needed to retire. On the other hand, I'm not eager to switch out 4 tires with only 10K miles on them.
    Anybody have similar experience?
    Thanks, first poster, Calprius

p.s. I'm in L.A. if anybody wants to buy the other three, they look fine.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had a leak (losing about 1 lb per day) that was fixed (I hope) last week. I have just under 15K. They said they couldn't find the problem, but I didn't have to replace it either.

3. TucsonPrius

TucsonPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I too, had an intermittent leak. Some nights it would be fine, some nights it would lose 10-13 lbs over night. Had it removed and re-mounted. Had the valve stem replaced. No change. Finally, I got it replaced, and road hazard warranty reimbursed me.

Once replaced all was well.

Thanks,
    Shawn