1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Gen (2001-2003) Replacing third brake light bulbs

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Victor Siles, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Remove cover remove 2 Philip screws push foward and back to loosen the third brake light. remove red lense from third brake light. Twist and pull burnt bulb.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe replace with an LED must be like a 194 or something 168 a Sylvania ZEVO will last the rest of the car and maybe the owner's life who knows.

3. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmm, didn't know that it was tricky. I guess I've always just swapped in a complete tailight assembly from my parts cars. Are you saying that it's not intuitive that you have to remove those screws?

4. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The entire procedure is covered in the owner's manual. I was reading it just yesterday.

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Never occurred to me that it could be a process that wasn't immediately evident.

6. Victor Siles

Victor Siles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It was my first time that I needed to change one of the burnt out bulbs. I noticed once you remove the bolts that its still tight to remove. Didn't want anyone to think to just pull down and brake off the tabs that keeps it in place. I'm thinking maybe to replace the the Sylvania bulbs with Led bulbs to make them a lot brighter.

ronlewis likes this.