1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Glitch (419 MI)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeri, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Jeri

Jeri New Member

Can't say I've made any changes in the way I'm driving but the first glitch turned up. When I get in the car, power up, and attempt to go into reverse, I get two rapid beeps and no movement. If I shift into drive and go about one or two feet, it will then let me shift into reverse. Am I doing something wrong (ready light is on) ? The other glitch is the failure of the ICE to stop at stop lights or in the parking lot if my foot is on the brake. I wait one or two minutes expecting to hear to turn off, but nothing. This may be what is now impacting my mileage (started out at 50.2 now at 46. How do I make the ICE come to a full stop?

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi Jeri... and welcome to the Prius world !!

I, from time to time, have experienced a similar effect. It seems to happen when I push the "start" button and quickly try to shift into reverse. Never happens when I wait a couple of seconds until I hear the "beep-beep" telling me that Ernestine* (my Prius) lets me know she is ready to go.

My fuel economy has been steadily improving with more miles on the odometer. I also plan to change to synthetic oil at the 10,000 mile service having heard that 5W-30 (as recommended) can improve fuel economy by as much as 10% - we shall see.

*Thanks to the sometimes strange, even innane responses I get from the NAV lady when I make a verbal request, I named my Prius "Ernestine" after Lili Tomlin's telephone operator character. Sometimes when I say "Go Home," Ernestine responds "Showing restaurant icons" or some other strange response. Even so, I do finally get an appropriate response and enjoy the NAV system. Rather than be irritated, I view her responses as entertainment and have a chuckle.

3. xevious

xevious New Member

The hybrid ECU (the computer that controls the ICE and the electric motors) has a mind of its own. You can't "make" it turn the ICE off if it doesn't want to. Don't worry for now if the engine stays on, especially during short (<15 minute) trips. Just let it do its thing.

That said, some factors that tend to keep the ICE running are:

Cold weather
    Heat or air conditioning on
    Low traction battery
    Cold engine (short trip or cold weather)
    Transmission in "B" mode

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Add to that list the defrosters...if they're on it's tough to get the ICE to shut down.

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No, not the A/C compressor on the THII model. AC compressor is electric running off the HV battery.

6. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I've had the same problem. I decided to try and diagnose when the failure to shift into gear occured. This is what I've discovered. The colder it is the longer it takes the "READY" light to come on. If you are too quick on the draw after pushing the power button when you go to shift to reverse or any gear as a matter of fact the car just goes to neutral. Just give the "ECU" time to have whole system power up before shifting to any gear. As far as the ICE turning off forget about it, when the heat or the defrosters is on. Just let it do its own thing. You are getting at least 30% better mileage than any other car out.

7. xevious

xevious New Member

True, the compressor can run on battery, but running with the air conditioning on makes the ICE run more frequently and, when cold, run longer. Maybe your THS II is different than mine, but this is certainly my experience.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The comment was, that A/C keeps the ICE running. It might run more often if your SOC is down to 2 bars, but it doesn't keep it running. Heat demand might, since it needs the ICE to create the heat. As others have noted, isn't it strange you need ICE to get heat?