1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Impression of Toyota Dealers

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Hummerhonda, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Hummerhonda

Hummerhonda New Member

I'm a newbie. This is my first post, and unfortunately, it is negative.

A year ago I purchased an Odyssey over the internet. I requested 10 quotes and got two quotes within 30 minutes via email. I spoke with two competing dealers and bought the van 20 minutes later. Got a great deal and the process was effortless.

Right now, I'm looking for a Prius and requested quotes from 10 dealers. In the first 4 days all I received were auto-response emails telling me that my quote was on its way. Then I got a second round of emails asking me how the quote process was working for me. The only thing that was missing was an actual quote from any dealer! I sent quote requests to dealers with Prii in stock.

Anyone's experience similar? I'm not going to beg for a quote. Either they give me one and I work with them or they are off my list. I'm searching for a Base +Pkg #3 which is in short supply, but only one dealer even came back with a "Hey, we don't have a #3 would you settle for a #2 or a #4?".

My worst experience (so far) with one dealership Don Woods Toyota in Ohio went like this:

- Configured vehicle and requested vehicle via Edmunds.
    - Got autoreply email stating my quote was on the way.
    - Got another autoreply email stating my quote was on the way.
    - Got a third email, this time from Don Wood stating how they wanted me to call them to set up a visit.
    - Replied to email stating I wanted a quote on the car I configured.
    -Got a call two days later in the morning to schedule my visit. I asked if she had a quote for me and she said no. I told her to take me off the list and not to call.
    - Got another call that afternoon from them. I asked the guy if he knew about the first call and he said yes, but he thought they'd call me again. I made my no call request again.
    - Two days later - call #3 from yet another salesman at Don Woods. I told him the entire story and asked to be removed from the list. I then called the general sales manager and retold the story and asked him to make sure not to call me again. He was nice and agreed, but who am I to believe there?

The funny thing is, all they had to do was email me a quote. Even when I specifically asked for one in an email and over the phone, they couldn't do it. They wasted my time and basically harassed me. That's not what the internet experience should be about.

Luckily, I am finally receiving some quotes, but I hate dealing with primadonnas...and so far Toyota dealers aren't impressing me. I hate to see what they are like when we actually negotiate.

Sorry to rant, but it's frustrating to like a vehicle and have the buying process completely stink, even over the internet!

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Boy I lucked out then. 2 years ago i tried the same thing as you and got a quote from Motorworld Toyota for a pkg.2. The salesman said he had a white one inbound from the ship in 2 weeks. He said if i wanted a silver one to call him.. I did and he got me a silver one , no fuss no muss, no extra's added and he was good on all his promises.

3. Hummerhonda

Hummerhonda New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030 @ Aug 8 2007, 04:22 PM) [snapback]492593[/snapback]</div>

I'm hoping the process will improve. Anyone out there care to share what deals they've received around Ohio in the past few months?

Package #3's seem to be the sweet spot for Prius Buyers. Seems like there are a ton of #2's out there.

4. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hummerhonda @ Aug 8 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]492624[/snapback]</div>
    If things are the same as when I bought my '06 last April, certain packages are only shipped to certain geographic areas. It may be that package #3 is not shipped to your area. I wanted a #6. However, the only way that that was going to happen was if I was willing to travel to PA or the DC area or some other area when #6 was being shipped. I settled for a #5.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome to Priuschat.
    Unfortunately, it would seem that some dealers use the online quote as a reason to get information on you to initiate the sales call. They don't actually send a quote, as you have experienced.
    I've had experiences such as this but fortunately not for something as pricey as a new car. In those situations it was easy to just walk away.

I would be frustrated also. You are doing them a favor by helping them meet some sales quotas and they seem to be acting as though it is them who are going out of their way for you. I agree with you: sometimes all you're looking for is that initial contact, that reply to your inquiry and that would have made all the difference.

6. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

I emailed 6 dealerships in my area and I got 3 replies back(with messages left on my cel. phone) and emailed as well. When I emailed them back with questions and tell them I won't be able to visit them at the dealers(all of them ask me to go in and we can talk) I got no replies back.

conclusion: They think I am just BS with them but the fact is I am planning on buying a pkg. 5 with cash... typical sales...thats why I hate going to the dealers.

7. mari21

mari21 New Member

Something similar happened to us too.

In my life I bought many cars and saw many dealers but the Toyota experience is by far the worst. I know, there are great and fair Toyota dealers out there but we had almost the same experience as you did.

If you would like to read:
    http://priuschat.com/Buying-a-Prius-Not-so-easy-t36022.html

Good luck with your search.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try another go-round of the same process, but asking for a Tundra
    pickup. Measure the delta.
    _H*

9. Hummerhonda

Hummerhonda New Member

Hey! Great News! I finally reached a dealer today who valued me as a customer!

I received a quote which was basically MSRP on an 2008 because they aren't in yet and are expecte to be in very in short supply, but he's throwing in a number of optional items (all season mats, cargo cover, tray, etc). He'll get it to me around mid September...which is awesome!

My purchase process was effortless. I called and left a message and he returned my call within 30 minutes with all the info I needed. Wow, talk about great service! This is the kind of dealer I'll be loyal to for a long time!

This restores my faith in the car buying experience. I was really wondering if I was going crazy. I've purchased vehicles in the past with no problems. I do my research, figure what I'm willing to pay and I've never had a problem. But, after three weeks of dealing with Toyota salespeople and dealerships who lied to me, never answered my questions and/or gave me a quote...I finally found a salesman and a dealership who truly treated me with respect.

10. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hummerhonda @ Aug 16 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]496840[/snapback]</div>
    Good for you, glad it worked out for you.

In regards to the process I went through, I received little no responses via the web as well. The one response I did get was four days after I requested it. The offer was really good, though.... $1200 below the MSRP. It was worth the wait.

Ultimately, ended up buying my car through a Honda dealer who owned a Toyota dealer.

As for the prices on '07 and '08 models, I think the dealers are using the demand as an excuse to not drop the price and get their commissions higher [obviously]. There were four Prii on the lot at the dealer I went to and they said they would all be gone by the next day. I went back a week later and not only did they have the same four vehicles, they had TWO MORE. So, the proof was in the pudding on that one, and I refused to deal with that particular dealership.

11. Hummerhonda

Hummerhonda New Member

I had to laugh when you said you bought your Prius through a Honda dealer that owned Toyota.

The reason being is that the car that I am buying is not a Prius, or a Toyota.

It's a 2008 Honda Fit Sport!!!! :rolleyes:

After being completely frustrated over the past three weeks with Toyota dealers, I decided for grins to see what sort of response I'd get from Honda. So I called them about the Fit, a car in high demand and short supply like the Prius.

I wanted to see if I was the problem with my car buying experience.

Well, the response I received from my inquirey was immediate from Honda...we are interested in what you want and we will help you find it. They asked pertinent questions, offered suggestions, and actually listened to me.

Wow, I didn't realize how badly I had been treated by Toyota, until I made the attempt with Honda.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Prius and thought it is an awesome vehicle...but in the end...it's just a car...and I'm a customer.

12. tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg New Member

My wife actually considered the Fit as well, but after looking at how tiny it was in comparison to the Prius, combined with the fuel economy and the "cool factor" we decided a Prius was the route to go.

The fit has some nice seat configurations, but it has very slow accleration speeds from a standstill. Aside from that, it's a nice little car for the price range with good safety ratings and storage capacity.

Enjoy the car!

13. Hummerhonda

Hummerhonda New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tekn0wledg @ Aug 16 2007, 01:47 PM) [snapback]497028[/snapback]</div>

Thanks!

I wouldn't even venture to compare the Fit to the Prius in terms of ride confort or standard features. I like the flexibility of hatchbacks - the biggest reason I liked the Prius over the HCH and the TCH. The 2008 Fit also has the MP3 jack/ipod connection included.

In the ideal situation, I'll have the Fit for 4 or 5 years and then buy a plug-in Prius...hopefully with a Li-Ion battery. I figure I won't have any trouble selling the Fit to some kid as a tuner car, either. I just hope my next experience with Toyota in 5 years or so is better than this one.

I will still enjoy the info and discussion on PriusChat, though. A great resource.

14. mari21

mari21 New Member

Congratulation on finding your new car! I'm applauding your decision.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hummerhonda @ Aug 16 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]496840[/snapback]</div>
    This is exactly what I was talking about, to be valued as a welcomed customer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hummerhonda @ Aug 16 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]497024[/snapback]</div>
    If everybody, just like you, were as consequent as you and would base their car purchases on the treatment received by the car dealers, Toyota would have a bunch of customers less and would soon learn to change their attitude.

Just like you said, it's a great car, I personally would like to own one, but, hey, it's just a car. Nothing more and nothing less.

Have fun with your Honda!