1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by eyeguy13, May 3, 2006.

1. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After hanging out on the forum for about a month and spending most of my time in FHOP (whew, that's a rough place!!! :rolleyes: ), I've finally joined the rank and file membership of PriusChat with the arrival of my Prius yesterday. I used to enjoy reading all the first impressions, so here's mine: (comparing to my trade-in, which was a Toyota Matrix)

1. SKS unbelievably cool. You never have to take out the smartkey from your pocket. I actually felt low tech when I had to open my office door with a key. Can you believe that, a key! What is this world coming to.

2. Ride quality - fantastic, of course! Someone on this forum compared it to a mix between a Camry and a Corolla. Since the Matrix was built on a Corolla chassis, I would have to agree. The ride is very close to my wife's Camry. Quiet, smooth ride. The Matrix was harsh at times because of it's shape and center of gravity. Not the Prius. Handles very well. Been on the highway and country roads (no high wind yet) and the car tracked incredibly straight. Not sure if I'll get the BT stiffening plate. I think it rides excellent now.

3. Your speed is deceiving. Maybe because of the smooth ride, lack of noise, and shape of the windshield (much bigger view out the front), you think you are traveling slower than you are. Plus, you don't hear the engine that much.

4. CVT is smooth and I don't miss the engine rev sound with shifting gears. In fact, I thought I would miss shifting gears but I don't at all. Not at all! Not even a little.

5. Tons of interior space, little hidden cubby holes, the spot for sunglasses, the vanity mirrors that light up on the visors, my MP3 jack, the new car smell, of course, and not having your speedometer right behind the wheel.

6. Lastly, the cool factor. While I was waiting for the Prius, some of my 'not so environmentally friendly' friends (yes, as a liberal, I do have some of those :rolleyes: - open minded, remember?) would make fun of me and tell me that the Prius "looked stupid". They looked at the car today, and ALL of them loved the car and are talking about getting a hybrid themselves. I took them all (not at the same time, must adhere to the 810 lb. weight limit :) ) for a ride, and they were mesmerized by the MFD and all the high tech stuff on this car.

We are all ambassadors for this car and are probably having an impact more than we know. We have all stepped up to the plate for various reasons and are making a bold statement.

To quote Kyle, from the South Park episode 'Smug Alert':

<div align="center"> Hybrid cars are important, they may even save our planet someday </div>

See you all on the forum! Good Night and Good Luck!

2. Brian K

Brian K New Member

You know it'll never pay for itself, don't you!? I get that one all the time. Bean counters suck.

Just kidding, of course (about the "pay for itself". Bean counters continue to suck.).

Congrats on your new car. Yup, it's way cool.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

My friend who bought a new 2004 Matrix keeps bugging me about how slow the Prius is and how he can beat me by running and that cycling is produces less emissions. He rarely drives his Matrix anyway.

4. Ed Vatza

Ed Vatza New Member

All I would add is that (after having the Prius for two weeks now), the Prius has made driving fun again.

Pre-Prius I really needed a reason to get into the the car and go somewhere. Now I have to fight the urge to just get in the car and go nowhere in particular - just for a ride. Sometimes I don't win that one!

5. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats on your new Prius!

We're one week shy of having our Prius for one month, and I echo want paflyfisher said - driving is fun again, even in Northern Virginia.

I finally had a chance this week to get it out on the road for an extended run - went from home to Lynchburg (VA) and back, about 335 miles roundtrip, with some interstate highway (I-95) and a bunch of state highways (3, 20, and 29). And I was delighted with the performance.

One thing that really struck me, and I know it's been mentioned on PriusChat before ... the mid-range acceleration. It's not that fast off the line (and that's just fine with me), but I was amazed at how quickly it would accelerate when I needed to punch it a bit to pass or merge. It is very, very responsive.

6. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GreenGene @ May 4 2006, 07:43 AM) [snapback]249598[/snapback]</div>

Did you say HAY, to jerry while you were there? :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

Congrats, eyeguy! In about a week you can post, "What's 'B' for?". :)

8. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Excellent post, thanks :)

How often do you step outside just to look at it?

9. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ May 4 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]249793[/snapback]</div>
    Funny :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ May 4 2006, 01:24 PM) [snapback]249797[/snapback]</div>
    I hooked up a Prius Cam outside the clinic I work in and have the feed routed directly into the LAN. :)

Gotta keep an eye out for those "Hybrid Haters" after all! :lol:

(I do look back at it before I go into the building.....shhhhh, don't tell anyone)

10. DAT1

DAT1 New Member

Thanks for the report. I have to stop coming here as you make me want mine now and I have to wait for another couple weeks....you could always lend me yours until mine comes if you wanted to be a really cool guy. :D

11. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcone to the Prius world. Mine is still fun to drive after 2 1/2 years and about 35.000 miles.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eyeguy13 @ May 3 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]249438[/snapback]</div>
    See you all on the forum! Good Night and Good Luck!
    [/b][/quote]
    OK get the situation. I drop my Prius off for it's 30K check. The van guy get's a phone call on his cell. Where is my "key" Oh it is in my pocket. I hand the key to the Van guy as he takes me to work!

13. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DAT1 @ May 4 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]249977[/snapback]</div>
    I am a really cool guy but unfortunately, the smartkey system only works with my biometrics only. You could hold the key fob but nothing would happen. You couldn't start the car or get into it. So you see, I can't loan you my car.

(psssttt....did DAT1 buy the line? The Prius is smart, but not that smart....don't tell him OK, let's just keep it between us :rolleyes: )

:) DAT1, hang in there. Before you know it, you'll have your Prius. Submit a post when you do! See ya!