1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First impressions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BenR, Jul 21, 2006.

1. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I took delivery of my 2006 Prius (black, package #4) on July 19 and have been loving every minute behind the wheel. The dealership supplied a full tank of gas, and so far I've logged 91 miles on the odometer. It took that many miles for the first fuel "pip" to disappear, and my tank average right now is 43.5 MPG, which is truly fantastic -- especially when you consider that I'm new to the vehicle and have been running the A/C with fresh-air intake the whole time to help clear out the plastic outgassing (aka new-car smell).

I am truly amazed. This high-tech car is fun to drive, has plenty of power, feels safe, and is helping me become a more aware driver. I'm also able to adjust my driving to boost the numbers on the MFD, and it's becoming a sick game now. The car handles very nicely, has plenty of pep and pickup, and I love coasting to a stop with minimal braking. I also dig the viewing perspective from the driver's seat. Oh yeah, the factory sound system is quite generous and sounds great to me.

I'm sure everyone here is used to hearing tons of great things, but I just had to add my initial impressions. This is a revolutionary car, and I really feel I'm a part of something very unique in owning one. This purchase is among the best I've ever made.

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if the Prius has the best "Initial Ownership Experience" of any car. Sure are a lot of posts similar to this.....and it's not just the euphoria of owning a brand new car.

Glad to have another PC member around......welcome!

3. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Jul 21 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]290015[/snapback]</div>
    Well Consumer Reports rates that 1st year Prius owners would buy their car again 95% of the time. No other car is as high.

4. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks!

I certainly think this experience goes beyond the glee of simply having a new ride. I'll go as far as to say this car is completely changing the way I approach driving. The interactive nature of driving the Prius is unlike any other. And I can safely say that I'll never consider purchasing a conventional vehicle -- even this early in the game.

5. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations! Glad to hear you're having so much fun driving around in your new technomobile. :D

6. marjam

marjam Member

Yes, it is great how the Prius changes your outlook on how to drive and also causes you to notice how stupidly so many others drive. It is a wonderful car. Welcome to the fold!

7. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations on your new car! Have fun adding accessories and have even more fun driving your new 'baby'!

8. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jul 21 2006, 04:30 PM) [snapback]290107[/snapback]</div>

This is so true. I've had my car for just over two weeks now and my driving habits have changed drastically. I really notice the the bad drivers now also. I see that line of bumper to bumper cars traveling 80+ MPH and know that just a short time ago I would have been right in line. I am so much more relaxed when I arrive home in the afternoons. This car is like Prozac on wheels......

9. markymags

markymags Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(withersea @ Jul 21 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]290130[/snapback]</div>
    HAHA... so true! I'm right there with ya... going 80-85 in the fast lane about 2 car lengths back... I gotta tell ya... I don't miss the days of being tailgated at 85. I love how I feel when I get home after driving my Prius from work.

10. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 21 2006, 08:53 AM) [snapback]289978[/snapback]</div>
    Ben in Cincinnati, I gotta say this is about the best first-post-after-flogging-the-finance-guy I've ever seen. You have endowed us with one of the great all-time summary phrases: IT'S BECOMING A SICK GAME NOW! How precocious!

You also prompted another gem, withersea's "Prozac on wheels". There are previous posts in the dustbin of Prius history describing the Prius's "Zen-like" attributes, but for those of us addled with drugs,...actually, Effexor on wheels works better for me!

I have the identical feeling you describe in your last 'graph.

You write well. Keep sharing it with us.

11. BenR

BenR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, Jack. I'm a magazine journalist and editor by day, I hope it shows from time to time. :p :D

And while I really enjoy the "Prozac on wheels" idea, I have trouble associating the car with an SSRI. If anything, the car leaves me with a case of Priupism -- if you catch my drift.

12. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BenR @ Jul 21 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]290152[/snapback]</div>
    Baaaaaad dog! Down! :rolleyes:

What mag (no matter how small/obscure)?

13. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Welcome BenR !!! Enjoy your new Prius, and the feeling, it is pretty cool, isn't it !!!!! Anyway, to pass along some advice that was given to me when I got mine, enjoy the drive and all the gadgets, but don't forget at some point to just turn off (or ignore) the MFD and drive!!

Welcome to the cult.... ahhh, Club, I mean...... :lol: :lol:

14. Kathleen2

Kathleen2 New Member

I've been driving my Silver 06 for over 8 months and still love it!
    Kathleen

15. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjam @ Jul 21 2006, 01:30 PM) [snapback]290107[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, that was me you're talking about! In a little over a month I've noticed a major change in my driving habits. I'm even in the right lane at times! And I'm wondering why everybody is in such a hurry as I play my game of tring to get another mpg.

Welcome. You'll enjoy your new miracle.