1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First long trip and Fueling ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Weinerneck, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

Well I loaded up the whole Fam Damily and headed across the state of New York to the big City (not really sure what I was thinking there). Any way........ we live in Western NY so our route was east across the southern tier. Rolling hills at first then the Allegheny’s and on to the Catskills, cruse set at 65 (ok maybe 68), two adults, one 16 year old, a 10 year old and all the stuff that goes with us on a trip.

We got a respectable 52 mpg on the way there and about 47 on the way back, it was pretty windy on our return. That's one thing I don't quite understand, being a small car it sure gets blown around a lot.

The only problem I had was fueling up once. I was putting the gas in slow and the nozzle didn't shut off. I let go of the handle when I heard gas splashing on the ground underneath the car. Then after I stopped, gas was spitting out the fill tube for a second or so. If I had been paying attention I would have noticed that it was taking more gas than it can hold, 12.85 gallons to be exact. After over filling by that much I was wondering if there is anything I should be checking?

One thing that was nice on the trip was the day I decided to drive into the City (wasn’t thinking clearly that morning :huh: ). When my wife decided it was time to leave (guess when) we got tied up in the NYC grid lock. From 5th Avenue, down 57th to the Henry Hudson Parkway all the way to the George Washington bridge. When we weren’t moving the Prius’s ICE was not running and that made the situation much better. Sitting there nice and quite (or as quite as it could be) I would look at my wife and just start laughing thinking these people do this everyday, and for the life of me I don’t know why.

We spent three days in the city and had a pretty good time, 70 percent of it anyway. The Prius did a nice job hauling us around and did better that I thought it would through the mountains. I’m 5’ 11†and wasn’t to uncomfortable in the back seat for about two and half hours while my daughter drove on the way home. The Prius has a few short comings but over all we were very pleased with it on the trip.

With gas on the way up and my wife piling on the miles with her job, we are very happy we bought the car last August 1st. 19,000 miles and loving it. :D

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow nice! That's not bad for 4 people and luggage. I got 47mpg down I-5 last summer.

Hmm, maybe that particular pump was broken?

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weinerneck @ Apr 15 2006, 10:23 PM) [snapback]240362[/snapback]</div>
    there is the possibility of sending gas into your evap lines and canister, but if you did that you'd get a set of dash lights almsot immediately, that system is very closely monitored. you're probably alright.

glad you had a good time despite traffic times :)

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    That is what we on Prius Chat commonly call a "mega-fill."

With that much fuel in the system, you might as well try for a record, distance-travelled-on-a-tank-of-gas.

600 Miles on a single fuel-up is the entry level to shoot for.

Just as a warning... If you are of the type that gets all cross eyed and starts grabbing at themselves if the fual gauge goes below 3/4 empty, you best leave this challenge to others.

http://prius.w8kc.com

5. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusham @ Apr 15 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]240388[/snapback]</div>
    Could have made 600 pretty easy I think. I had two bars showing when I fueled up and 545 miles. Wife was going to work in the morning so I was trying to be a nice guy filling the tank.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 15 2006, 10:47 PM) [snapback]240371[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I was thinking. I figured no lights, no problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Apr 15 2006, 10:43 PM) [snapback]240368[/snapback]</div>
    That's what I told the attendent, but I think he could care-a-less.