1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First maintenance

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jdholz, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Jdholz

Jdholz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife has a 2010 Prius, bought new in December 2010. It only has 3,000 miles on it and has never had any maintenance. I am about to trade cars and take a fairly long trip in the Prius. I'll probably put another 3,000 miles on it over 6 weeks. I just called a dealer and was told I shouldn't bring it in until it hits 5,000. Is that right?

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recall my dealer recommending to bring it in around 5k miles for the first maintenance. I think they mostly tell you that to not treat the Prius like the old car standard which was 3 months or 3k miles. That is also using conventional oil over synthetic. The Synthetic oils seem to handle better than conventional oil so the old rule of thumb for maintenance is not as heavy, as I know with my old car, switching to synthetic, they told me not to bother coming in on the time period and focus more on the miles.

3. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The maintenance at 5000 miles is just to rotate tires and check fluids. Oil change is every 10,000 miles with the new synthetic oil.

So I say go on your trip and take notes on questions for the dealer when you get back and go in for your maintenance.