1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Major Failure - I could use your help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jim.Biggs, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Jim.Biggs

Jim.Biggs Zardoz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here we go...

Background: We own two! A 2005 and a 2008. This is the 2005 with 155,000 miles on it.

I just picked up my car from having the oil changed at a local mechanic shop that I have used for some time. I got about two blocks when I basically got all of the indications of running out of gas. I wound up on electric only, turned around and limped about one block and with the help of a kind pedestrian pushed it into a parking lot. That was at 9PM last night. I left it until this morning.

I borrowed a 2 gallon gas tank and added fuel. Hmmm no go.
    When I try to start the engine it tried for a few seconds and the speedometer went out. Of course I have the Hybrid Failure alarm and many others. Upon subsequent attempts the speedometer remains off and the engine never tries.

I towed it to Toyota. They began working on it. They added 4 more gallons of gas and still, they cannot get it to run for more than a few seconds. The mechanic believes that perhaps the fuel pump burned up inside the tank. And he states it all ONE assembly. Being Saturday, they informed me that they would have to keep the car to Monday and will continue trouble shooting then.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Jim

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It is one assembly.

Are you sure the repair shop refilled with oil, and secured the oil plug?

Tom

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Ouch. You say all the indications of no gas. Did the gas gauge say no fuel?

I see you own 2 Prius. You should pick up a Scan Gauge here at the Prius Shop. Its pretty cheap and can really help in situations like this where it will read the OBDII codes the car threw and I bet it threw a bunch of them. You will have a pretty good idea whats up before the dreaded dealer call back. Thats worth $150 right there. Plus it works in other cars too. And your supporting this great site!

Without those codes we are all just guessing.

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No "Check Engine" light? In any case, somebody has checked the oil level on the dipstick, right?

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The fuel tank assembly does need to be replaced entirely, in the case of any fuel pump failure. The better news is that (posted in Priuschat somewhere) a new fuel tank assembly is in the $2 hundreds range. Less than some might guess.

The 2008 is still running well, I hope, Jim.

6. Jim.Biggs

Jim.Biggs Zardoz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi All,
    Yes, there was a check engine light and many more! At one point on the MFD a wonderful message "Problem!". Gee, I would have never guessed...

I check the oil and it was exactly to the full mark.
    The fuel gage showed one bar solid and the "Add Fuel" message never appeared.

Jim

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the "guess gauge" only showed one blip, you may want to add 4-6 gallons

8. Jim.Biggs

Jim.Biggs Zardoz

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Intial Response From Dealer: "Mass Air Flow Sensor Failure" AND they want to physically disconnect HV battery to do a full hybrid reset.

I'll keep you posted...

Jim

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hold on here, MAF "failure?"

And you just had it serviced at a small garage?

What I would look for on the MAF:

1. Could be the guy who changed your oil also took the airbox lid off to check the filter. Maybe some schmutz fell onto the MAF and it actually touching the MAF hot wires

Here is where the MAF is located in the Prius intake. It's the thing with the little bulb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Could also be oil was filled too quickly, ended up in the PCV vent hose or pipe system, and landed in the intake. Doesn't take much stuff to bugger up a MAF

That said, a MAF is EASILY cleaned. There is special MAF cleaner made by CRC, called MAF Sensor Cleaner (Duh) and is under $6 a can.

The MAF is easy enough to remove from the TB and clean. If they quote some outrageous number, try cleaning the MAF first

Here is the MAF off my FJ after only a year of use. The Prius and FJ MAF appear the same. I figure normal PVC operation is introducing oily vapor into the intake, which coats the MAF hot wires and can make at least my FJ idle poorly and the auto to shift badly. Cleaning my FJ MAF cured that

This is the MAF dirty. The bulb thing is the IAT sensor. The two hot wires had a fine white ash on them, but I don't have a clear enough photo that is worth posting

[​IMG]

This is the MAF body after cleaning. Note how clean the IAT is

[​IMG]

I do have a decent enough photo of the hot wires after cleaning. They are buried inside the MAF body. You can't just spray the IAT bulb and expect results. You must remove the MAF and use the extension straw on the can to give a brief spritz into the MAF hot wires

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

rposton likes this.