1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First "milestone" in new Prius!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Feb 24, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I filled up my new Prius for the first time today! :D

After reading all the topics around here about how difficult filling the gas tank is, I was a bit nervous. All went well and I spilled not one little drop and heard no gurgles, etc. Whew! :)

The dealer filled the tank the first time, of course, so I do not know how many gallons were in the tank. All ten bars were lit up, though, so at least close to full.

I drove 398 miles and averaged 46.1 miles per gallon (according to the car). That was a mix of highway and surface streets...maybe 35-40% highway, which is unusual for me (usually higher percentage of highway miles). We sure have a lot of hills here!!! I already knew that, of course, but it really hit home when I would watch my MPGs plummet and rise so abruptly while maintaining the posted speed limit. Any seasoned "hill" drivers with words of wisdom?

I really enjoy this car! Previously, I have never really been one to LIKE driving much. I like road trips, but it isn't the actual driving I like. It is the adventure of going new places and seeing it all and being able to stop whenever and see whatever at any point. :) When I had my Corolla, in the last year or so, I was able to go a month between fill-ups since I work from home three days a week and walk our child to preschool those days. I foresee our gas bill actually going UP simply because I am finding more and more reasons to go take a drive! LOL This car may actually get me to LIKE driving!!! :D

In fact, I am headed to Orange County on Sunday for the day. I am excited to see some friends I haven't seen for awhile. I am also excited to see how the Prius does on a mostly highway excursion! Got any highway driving tips for me regarding the Prius? (No, I won't drive below the speed limit in ANY lane.) They are excited to see my new car, too! LOL

I am the first person in my various circles of friends to own a hybrid of any kind. Most are very curious. Some are interested in purchasing a hybrid down the line someday. It is interesting to hear all the comments and concerns and questions. So far (knock on wood...LOL), no one has been rude or negative. I have gotten the plug it in question, but it was phrased, "You don't have to plug it in or anything, right?" in a matter-of-fact tone versus a "serious" plug it in inquiry.

Anyway...thanks for reading my ramblings. :) Thank you, also, for all the great topics here and the wonderful learning atmosphere!

Enjoy your day!
    Karin

2. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

Something very funnny.... That was the exact MPG I got on my dealer tank, picked up 2 weeks ago today

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :D

i enjoy driving because of my prius, i used to hate driving too!

46.1 is good for a first tank on hilly terrain. keep it up! :)

4. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Use cruise control as much as possible. I've never had this in a car before so I didn't try it for some months but then I tried it and now think it greatly improves my mpg. OK, I do set it lower than the general traffic flow. For example there is a 3-lane road near here where heavy traffic is always running at about 70-80MPH or more and in previous cars I used to keep up with this but in the Prius I set cruise control for 60 and I think this improves mpg considerably.

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A guy at work remarked tat my car was "crazy" because it doesn't have a key and gets about 3x the mileage of his hemi pickup.

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

46.1 according to the car....

What did it get according to the fillup?

I drove pretty well the same over the first 2 tanks. The one off the dealer tank was closer to actual of 45mpg while my daily commute readings were closer to 50-53.

My second tank was 50.32 according to the fillup while seeing mostly 51-54 on the car each day.

I've been punching the reset on the consumption screen each time I leave home, or leave work. After 64.4 miles, I am at 51.0 to 55.5(highest), but somewhere in that range pretty much each time. One of these times I guess I need to push reset on that right after I fill up and wait until it's fill up time again to check a whole tank against the actual fill up mpg.

Anyhow, I am wondering how your descrepancy came out with your fill up, and what the measured mpg was in relation to your consuption screen readout.

7. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Where are you at ? as it been cold where you live ?

8. sunnysandiegan

Thanks! I have never had a car with cruise control before, either. I'll figure it out as I go tomorrow. :)

9. sunnysandiegan

I'm not sure how many gallons of gas the dealer put in the vehicle, so I am not sure how to calculate the MPG on that first tank. Do I just assume I used what I put in the tank when I filled it up yesterday? With the things I have read here, it seems that it is all a guess with the fuel bladder since it does not always allow the same amount of gas in order to be "full". Hmmm...

10. sunnysandiegan

As my username and location indicate (LOL), I am in San Diego. The temperatures have ranged from the low 40s to high 70s, according to the vehicle...

11. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Well congrat on the car.

we just took delivery on an 06 and getting 45-46 mpg but temps here range 20-40's

Last time we took delivery on a prius was summer 04 and we got 48-50

12. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For next time, please remember the correct response:

"I don't GET to plug it in. I still have to drive to the gas station."

I'm glad your first fillup went better than mine! I didn't think I'd get a full cup of gas in mine! Took FOREVER to put the six gallons in that it needed. One click at a time.. Grr. I hope next time will go better. But that won't be for another month or so. :)

13. sunnysandiegan

Tee hee hee! Yes, I will remember the "correct" response. LOL :lol:

14. sunnysandiegan

Well, the mini road trip went well! My husband had driven the Prius last and his average MPG was 38.1. (Only 10 miles on surface streets.) I got it up to as high as 51.9 average MPG right before I arrived at my friend's house. I never got it higher than that at any point. :(

I had ten bars of the fuel gauge when I started out and about 10 miles. I clicked over to Trip B and cleared it out. It was in the 70s the whole way there. I drove 182.8 miles roundtrip and my ending average MPG was 51.6. On my way North, I set the cruise control for 67 MPH as soon as I could (about 7 or so miles into the drive) and mostly kept it that way until I had to very firmly press the brakes at the Avery Pkwy exit. There was a bit of construction and very little warning. The people in front of me suddenly braked HARD and the guy behind me in the biggest SUV I have ever seen almost didn't brake at all (GMC something-or-other). I had nowhere to go, so I was very thankful that SUV had good brakes! From that point on, I couldn't really use the cruise due to traffic patterns. I went another 20 miles or so on two freeways, then a long surface street.

Once there, I took two separate laps around a circle at low speeds (with various friends). Later, I took another friend for a longer drive in the canyons/hills nearby.

On the return drive home, it was in the 50s (nighttime) and much more crowded in North Orange County. Traffic patterns in the O.C. do not encourage cruise control usage! Once I was able to use the cruise (about Avery Pkwy again), I set it to 66 MPH and cruised along. Traffic thinned out considerably in certain sections and I lowered the cruise to 62/63 MPH in low volume areas and stayed right.

There are a lot of hills! Nothing extreme like a mountain pass or anything, but constant up and down. I let the car do its thing with cruise set whenever possible. Is there a better strategy for hills?

The outside temperature on the way there was pleasant (70s range) and I just used the vent for fresh air. The outside temp on the way home was a tad chilly (50s range), but I just turned the system off and moved the vents away from me. Is that the best I can do for FE?

My car has about 580 miles on it now. I didn't look at the regular odometer when I reached home, but it was at 500 while I was there. The friend who I took on the longer drive knows a lot about cars and asked me questions that I had no answers for, except to indicate where the manual was. ;) One such question had no answer in the manual... maybe y'all can help me out? What is the "torque"? She wants to know, "Why do the three Priuses I drive the toll road with every day go so slow up the big nice person hill and then haul butt down the other side?" I briefly explained about potential fuel efficiency, but she scoffed at that and wanted to know about "torque". She also wanted to know about the chassis???? Can someone give me a brief explanation of what a chassis is and how it relates to the Prius? It came up when she mentioned creaks and strange noises. I indicated I do not usually have as much stuff in the hatch area and have never really noticed creaks and such. (I had a FULL scrapbooking crop tote...think rolling carry-on luggage filled with about 40 pounds of stuff... and a grocery sack filled with quilting magazines.) She wanted to know what chassis the Prius was based upon and suggested it was still "breaking in". That is when I checked the ODO and said it had about 500 miles on the car. Do y'all hear creaks and strange noises???

I've never checked the tire pressure nor changed it. (The dealer had it at 35/33 on the checklist when I picked it up.) With the above info, is this the next step in achieving a better average MPG?

THANKS!!! :)

Oh, I almost forgot, I had my first "fellow Prius driver wave" today! :) I actually saw less Prii than usual today. One on the freeway Northbound through the Camp Pendleton area and he was much older and not paying much attention to anything around him. The second was on a surface street near my friend's house. I waved and he waved back. :D Only those two in 183 miles! Very odd since I typically see 3-6 Prii in drives around here any time I go out.

15. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi and Congrats!

You and your family have made a very wise choice. I am sure that you will only love the car more and more the longer you have it.

As for your friends questions, Torque, in a nutshell, is the "power" of the engine. I don't unfortunately have the exact numbers, but what it all boils down to with or without the numbers is the fact that the motor is plenty strong. In fact, I just learned yesterday that our cars will beat ANY other gasoline only vehicle in by about 1 full second on 0 - 60 acceleration. That is plenty fast and really what she is trying to figure out is "how fast is it able to go".

As for the cars that she routinely sees creeping up the hills, those drivers are indeed trying to maximize thier mileage (but the car can out run almost anything I have encountered going up hill if you want it to.)

The chassis is the body of the car and it is very solid and extremely safe. My guess is that the sounds she was hearing may well have had alot to do with what you were carrying and whether or not your cargo was properly secured.

By the way, most of the folks 'round these parts tend to fill their tires to 42/40 for max fuel economy. It will make the ride potentially a bit "rougher" but not enough to notice really, and the FE can be worth it.

Just for the fun of it you might want to start a car diary. I have had my car for 1yr 22 days and have 31,430 miles on it (I drive ALOT) and it has been really fun for me to be able to see in a real and very concrete way what my driving has cost and what I have been able to save while still doing all this driving. Incidentally, for me it boiled down to 46mpg lifetime average, around 600 gallons of gas used and around $2,000 SAVED versus what I would have spent on fuel alone in my previous vehicle.

I record when I have purchased fuel, what my mileage on the ODO was, what the car says my MPG for that tank is, what the actual amount of fuel purchased (0.000), how much it was per gallon and what I actually spent, and how many miles were driven from fill-up to fill-up. I also record anthing that might have potentially significantly impacted mileage, i.e. extreme temperatures (I spent the summer driving back and forth to Palm Springs and most of the time it was in excess of 115 to 120 degrees). I also note oil changes.

Oh, and you do know that you can close your vents completely if you desire. And, did you know that there are vents beneath both of your front seats that deliver heat, air or ac to your back passengers? Just make sure not to put things under the seats that will block the vents for maximum effectiveness.

You also know about the "secret" drawer/cubbies right? There is one drawer right at the front of your center console near the floor and another when you lift your hatch, move your carpet mat and look at the triangular (sort of) shaped panel to the front left of the hatch. Tspot is geat for storing window wipes, microfiber cloths or just about whatever you can make fit. Oh, and your back hatch cover fits neatly beneath the back hatch for storage.

You might want to explore joining the San Diego Prius Club (a really great group of people). There is also an Orange County Prius Club (another super group). You can join either or both and learn loads from these people.

Again, congrats on your new addition. By the way, details please, like pkg, color, dealer experience, etc..

Take care and have a super day,

Tisza

16. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can usually guess the meaning of US usages - but what's a "surface street"? Is it what we call a back street, i.e. a street not used much?

Outside the USA "Breaking-in" a car means forcefully opening it (or breaking a window) usually to steal the contents. The phrase "running-in" is the British version for the first few miles of a car. Burglars break in to houses, etc too.

17. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

How funny! Yes, our burglers break in to houses, too. But we "break in" cars, shoes, and new saddles on our horses here in the great southwest.

What's funnier -- we park on driveways and we drive on parkways! :lol:

18. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Uh... :blink: Not even close! Don't go racing anyone "title for title" in your Prius. :p

The '04-06 Prius can go from 0 to 60 mph in a little over 10 seconds. That's on par with most 4 cylinder cars, including the Toyota Camry. But don't try racing a 6- or 8-cylinder car.

My other car is an Audi A8 sedan and it will suck the paint right off the doors of my Prius in a race. While getting about 14 mpg in town! :lol:

19. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Break-in: Come to think of it, it does apply to shoes, etc in the UK, but not usually to cars. The dictionary says,
    1. to wear until comfortable
    2. to tame or discipline an animal, especially a horse
    and in Austra & NZ "to bring land into cultivation"..

I had to look up "parkway" in the dictionary: it means (in the US) "an open landscaped highway" and (in the UK) "a railway station with extensive parking facilties."
    I've never heard the word used for either of these.

20. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No problems filling up our 06 either. QuickSilver has had 3 fillups so far without incident. We've been short-tanking it, filling up when it reaches 1/2 tank because gas is way less expensive off island.

You bring up an interesting point. I think there is a nice social side to this car that I hadn't anticipated. Yesterday, I went out for a ride after changing the oil. We had a lot of extra dahlia bulbs, so I went around delivering them to friends. With a nice day and a good CD cranking away, it was very pleasant and I got to see friends I haven't seen in almost a year. I find myself just wanting to get out of the house and go for a drive. Haven't done that in quite awhile.