1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First New Car Purchase

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by Sam-I-Am, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Sam-I-Am

Sam-I-Am New Member

As my first post here, let me say that prius chat is a wonderful resource, and I've enjoyed reading through all the informative posts here.

I'm looking to buy a new prius, and this will by my first new car purchase and first time buying from a dealership. I had a chance to rent one for the weekend, and it was exactly what I want to buy, the base model without options in white. I emailed a dealership about availability and prices. And he replied:

The cheapest one listed was Package #3 at $23,966. The no package option wasn't listed. Is it correct that I have to buy at least package #3? I know the prius I rented didn't have any options on it. He didn't mention whether or not that included the destination charge, but even if it did, it is over MSRP. I plan to contact the dealers others have mentioned on one of the thread here.

The other question is what do you actually pay when you buy a car? I mean if you say, get it at MSRP. What other costs sneak in there? I know there is a destination charge, sales tax, and probably registration fee. Anything else? Does someone have the exact numbers from their invoice? I hate surprises when it comes to paying more money.

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I don't think you can buy a Prius with no options, at least in the U.S., unless it is a special factory order (and even then I don't think so).

You can buy a package #1 in SoCal. The nearest place you can get a #2 from is either Kansas or El Paso, TX (I looked).

Shipping charge is a mandatory $580 (included in MSRP, as is the option package). Non-MSRP costs: "documentation fee" (normally $45 in CA), registration fee (dealer does it with DMV, they send you plates) and sales tax (also collected by dealer and paid to DMV.

Some dealers also stick other fees in there: "mandatory" dealer add-ons (e.g., rear bumper applique, cargo net, first aid kit, glass breakage sensor, paint/fabric "protection" package, even an advertising fee). You should ask your dealer, "are there any other fees besides tax, license and doc fee?"

Go to toyota.com > cars > Prius and click on "build your own Toyota" (after entering ZIP code). It tells you base price and what option packages are available where you live and their cost.

Of course, you'll want to contact your insurance co. to find out what increased premium you'll have to pay them.

Good luck!

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yeah, what Jack said.

And welcome to PriusChat, Sam-I-Am!

4. CedricMordrin

CedricMordrin New Member

My Prius was my first new car and dealer purchase, also.
    My dealer had none on the lot, as they sell like hotcakes after the evacuation for Rita. The plus side is I got to order mine, and therefore choose the options I wanted. In Texas I believe I've seen every package from #1 - #6 ('05's) not sure about the 06's. My dealer didn't have the 06 info when I went in, and I had it (thanks prius chat) and couldn't order me one. They said they weren't expecting delivery until January or later, but I needed a vehicle, as mine had bit the dust from a good 15 year run.

My advice is, if it's in your budget, go with a package that has SKS. That was the final selling point on the car for me. I don't like keys, I have enough of them from work. My previous car was an older Jeep and I had one key for the doors and one for the ignition. You will catch yourself trying to open you house door with it.

5. Sam-I-Am

Sam-I-Am New Member

SKS? I'm not sure what that is, but I suspect it ain't for me.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you want a "least frills" Prius, you don't want SKS (Smart Key System).

This is the system where you keep your fob in your pocket. The car recognizes the fob as you walk up, so when you grab the locked door, it opens. When you get into the driver's seat, the car knows its fob is inside the cabin, so the power button works without having to stick the fob in the slot in the dash.

Not at all necessary, but I wouldn't want another car without it.

7. jimgraffam

jimgraffam New Member

I completely agree. I never knew how much I'd love the fob. It's a lot like FastLane... right this way Mr. Graffam, you're free to pass right throught. :D

8. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jack has it right on what should appear on the MSRP, including the destination fee. I have also seen a "Zone Advertising Fee" on some cars. Check out the dealer's lot to see if your area includes that fee.

On the contract, they will have a "doc fee" that is limited to no more than $45 in California by law. That should be the only add on, but they will ask you if you want Credit Life Insurance, etc. Refuse it all. If you want to buy the extended warranty, don't pay more than $1,000 for it, because you can get it on-line for that amount (dealers have been known to charge above the $1500 or so list price for the warranty) I personally think an extended warranty is a bad idea, but it all depends on your frame of reference.

You can get a Package 1 in SoCal ... that's the least expensive one available. Ventura Toyota gets them in every now and then, and they sell at MSRP only (never any mark ups, according to the salesman who has my deposit!) Wait until after January 1 to take advantage of the $3150 (or so) tax credit if you take possession after January 1.

Another good tip ... check out financing with your bank or credit union, or on-line. Get a rate quote. When you go in, the guy in the finance office, who is yet another salesman, will usually be able to beat the rate you were quoted. But here's the deal, he will only give you a better rate if you have a rate quoted already. Otherwise he'll quote you a higher rate ... I have always suspected these guys get kickbacks or commission from the lenders. I do know that some finance guys will try to sell you special wax jobs, alarm systems, etc. Practice saying "no" in the mirror, and you'll be fine.

9. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all good advice. I too, had never bought a new car, or for that matter a car from a dealership. I'd bought two used cars, both from individuals. When I went to the dealership I wasn't expecting to buy a car. I was just there to look at the Prii and get on the proverbial waiting list. They had one on the lot and I snapped it up. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared and didn't have the information I needed to call BS. In retrospect it's all so obvious, but at the time I didn't know any better. It all worked out in the end. My old car died 2 days later, but I wish that I had been better prepared. I won't make the same mistakes again, that's for sure.