1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First official wave to/from fellow Prius owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rancid13, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was leaving home this morning and was still in my neighborhood, stopping at a 3-way T-intersection stop sign when another black Prius stopped to the left of me, making a right turn in the direction I was coming from. We smiled and waved enthusiastically at each other to complete my first official wave to and from a fellow Prius owner. :D And a fellow black Prius to boot. I've never seen that guy in the neighborhood before, just a couple silvers and a Salsa red passing thru on occasion. And it wasn't a new Prius either.

(I was heading out to get the windows tinted, but the tint guy called the detailing place to say he was having trouble and would not make it in today. :( So I rescheduled to come in on Monday instead since I have the holiday off from work, and they're giving me a discount on the cost. :D So I spent the last 3 hours running errands and upping my mpgs to 48.7)

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all right! the wave is still alive! :)

i've actually gotten a surprising number of waves lately... must be the new excited 06 owners like you. either way, i always enjoy an enthusiastic wave.

3. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We were passing within 3 feet of each other so I think it would have been odd not giving/getting a wave also considering he wasn't one of the 'older' Prius drivers in these parts (he looked to be about mid-30's). I don't expect any waves from any of the elderly Prius drivers that are more commonplace in this area. :(

4. jma030201

jma030201 New Member

Hi! how much do they charge to tint the whole car? I just wanted to get an idea because we have a church member that has a tinting business and we had 4 of our previous cars tinted there and he only charged us $185 each.

thanks!

:D

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh that totally reminds me of the other evening.

It was sunny when I left work but since it's still early in the year, the sun went down shortly afterward. I wasn't paying that much attention but someone in the left turn lane (facing me) flashed their lights at me. As I got closer, I noticed it was a prius so I waved back at him. I felt great! A wave from another Priupite!

Then it occured to me: he was flashing his lights because mine weren't on and it was getting dark. Duh!

Him: "You're lights aren't on!"
    Me: "Hey, nice car."

Him: "You're going to kill someone!"
    Me: "What's your mileage?"

Him: "You're an idiot!"
    Me: "Have a great evening."

6. Darwin23

Darwin23 New Member

Today as I was going back to the car from the 99 cents store, I noticed a guy looking at my car. We got to talking, he was also a prius owner and asked me about my average mileage for the car. I told him so far i'm averageing around 48 and he said he's getting around the same. we also talked about the car price, the difference with the 06 vs. 05 models, and life after retirement (i'm only 29, but he's retired). Totally cool! Its nice to meet and get to know fellow prius owners.

7. jeneric

jeneric New Member

Too funny.

Were you thinking Planes, Trains & Automobiles?
    Neal: He says we're going the wrong way...
    Del: Oh, he's drunk. How would he know where we're going?

8. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    $170, including all the 'small' windows in the front and rear corners of the car. Only thing I'm not having tinted is the windshield. 20% tint on all the rear windows, 30% on the front driver's and passenger's side windows. They're giving me a slight discount due to the appointment screwup, I'm going first thing Monday morning to have it done. I've heard they do an excellent job, from another PCer on here. The tint job comes with a lifetime warrantee against bubbling, peeling, warping, etc.Tint thread.

Here's their info:

Picture Perfect Detailing
    2060 E 28th St
    Signal Hill, CA 90755
    562-988-1777

9. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually I wave alot, but there are so many Prius here in OC that they probably all wonder what I am up to! Then they see my "HYBRID" sticker on the back and probably figure it out...

10. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think a lot of us Prius drivers may be paying more attention to the energy/consumption screens while driving than to other Priuses on the road. At least, I know I am (unless I'm travelling below 25mph)...that may be why a lot of us don't wave at each other, because we miss seeing other in the first place. ;)

11. Spunky

Spunky New Member

Psst! Welcome to the subversive Prius movement. :)

I love waving to fellow Prius drivers and getting a smile and friendly gesture in return. Don't see that on the highway very often.

12. rogerSC

rogerSC Member

Too many Prius's to count in Santa Cruz, CA at this point, and we're all too cool to wave at each other.

A couple of people actually asked me something about my car recently (first time in the 7 months I've owned the car). It was kind of interesting, but I didn't buy the car to be different, I bought it for much more pragmatic reasons.

So it goes.

-Roger

13. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I know, I'm getting more nervous when there are Prius owners on the road than with cell phone users. :eek: (well not really yet)

14. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was in San Jose recently. Priuses everywhere. It was great to see all them around.

15. Emma

Emma New Member

Any Curb Your Enthusiasm fans around here? There was an episode where Larry David got bent out of shape because he passed a Prius driver who didn't return his "Prius Wave." :lol:

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I, too, had my first wave recently. In Fargo there just weren't many Priuses. Here in Spokane, at least I see one every now and then. So the other day I saw a Prius in my rear view mirror, catching up with me. I eased off to let it catch up and we simultaneously waved enthusiastically at each other. Fun. It was exactly the same color as mine, too, (blue) which made it even better.

Of course, when I drive I have my eyes on the road. I may have missed other times when someone waved at me and I just didn't see.

17. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bill Nye on the HybridCenter.org site says "Of course, hybrid owners aren’t just made up of cool Science Dudes like me. As you’ll see from all my fellow owners, hybrids have hit the mainstream."

This made me think about my current experience with waving to other Prius drivers... Seems like now, the more Prius drivers I see on the road, as I wave to each, the fewer seem to be waving back.

Perhaps the "early adopters" are more likely to wave than mainstreamers -- and are now lost among the mainstreamers?

18. hjon71

hjon71 Junior Member

Just had the windows tinted on our 06.
    I bought the tint pre-cut on ebay for $50 including shipping.
    And, had it installed for $80. It took about an hour since it was cut to fit already.
    The best part about this is that I was able to go darker than legal(15% vs. 30%) so it really stands out.
    B) Way Cool!!

19. hjon71

hjon71 Junior Member

Where'd ya get that sticker?

20. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think here maybe? See #10.