1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change @ 5,000 miles - Mobile One

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusham, Mar 10, 2005.

1. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Took my '05 Pri in yesterday for it's very first oil change after buying it in December. A few miles past where I wanted to but well under the recommendation.

I bought a 5 Qt jug of 5W30 Mobile 1 at Walmart for $19 and the dealer pour it in, gave me the remainder back, and rotated the tires.

As I track mileage for all the world to see, you can see for yourself if the synthetic is going to make any difference...

http://www.w8kc.com/priusmileage.htm

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    $19?!? For FIVE quarts?!?!

:cussing:

Geez, I really *really* need to move to where you live. A litre of Mobil 1 5W-30 is $7.99, plus 7% GST and 7% PST: $9.11 a litre. If I only put in 3 litres, $27.

Maybe you could hang onto your leftover from the 5 qt jug and ship them up to me??

3. bentdvr

bentdvr New Member

I have picked up 2 MPG since I switched to Mobil 1 at 5000 miles.

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My fuel economy has increased 2 to 4 mpg since using Mobil 1 at 5000 miles. I will fill up this evening (6500 mi) with my 12th tank of gasoline and have a reality check.

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bentdvr\";p=\"71272)</div>
    Bob:

I'm hoping for that too.

BTW nice horse. When I was a kid I had a gelding almost the same color.

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"71270)</div>
    Yeah! You had me second guessing myself for a moment... It was actually something like $19.97 at Walmart.

The dealer filled the engine to a tad below the top fill mark on the gauge. I thought that was pretty nice considering the reports of overfilling here!

Keep an eye on my charts over the next few weeks and see for yourself if the mileage goes up or stays about the same. I don't expect the weather to warm up enough to affect the milage until May.

7. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I put in three quarts which brings it up to the middle of the range. If the oil accumulates moisture as it usually does, it won't raise it above the full level. In the past, near full has ended up over full in week or two.

I had my oil changed this afternoon. The Prius tech told me that he knew I try to maximize mileage when he was told to only put in three quarts of mobil1 and not to adjust the tire pressure.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First oil change/ slightly off subject

Jayman: The prices at Walmart are good. The Canadians are not getting a fair shake in consumer prices or taxes. Since this is an www the situation is worse in Europe. When Germany converted to Euros they got less than the going rate to the dollar then proceeded to double the price of everything 100%. NO revolts in Germany tho. Things are even worse in Japan, when I was there the Japanese consumer was sold shoddy goods and the exports were of better quality and a relative lower price. So the gist of the story is: encourage, demand a Walmart in Canada :roll: (if you don't have one) Or other competitive stores. In Sweden, they get to keep 15% of their salary, aren't they lucky.

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Walmart is the biggest lie currently perpetrated on the American people. Their prices are not that low except for their price point junk that reminds me of cheap product from Japan in the 60s. If you compare good quality product, their prices are not lower. I purchased Mobil1 at the corner auto parts store yesterday for $4.59. Thats their regular price. I didn't have to buy 5 quarts when I only use 3 either. Total with tax was around 15$. When you shop at walmart you pay with the heart and soul of the American manufacturer and retailer. You can't afford the money you save at walmart.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Hmm. $4.59*5 = 22.95. 19.97 seems cheaper by $3. You can use the extra 1 1/2 quarts for next time, or sell it to your neighbor or even the dealer.

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ..of "Mobile 1", Alabama's finest lube. Now, if he'd bought Mobil 1, that probably would have cost him a little more :_>

12. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, at BJ's we pay $22 and some change for a 6 qt. case of 5W-30 Mobil 1 and $24 for 10W-30. I've got only 2030 miles on my car since November so it'll be a while before I get to change my oil.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: First oil change/ slightly off subject

Andy:

No, REALLY!?!

Ok, "sarcasm mode" off. I know you meant well.

At local Canadian Tire stores, $7.99 a litre. You then have to tack on GST (Goods and Services Tax, whatever the h*** that is) *and* PST (Provincial Sales Tax, except in Alberta the lucky so and so's).

GST is uniform across Canada at 7%. They even ding you that if you buy a new home, though it's something like 4.25%. The PST in Manitoba is 7%, the PST in Ontario is 8%.

At local Wally World, $7.19 a litre. So it's not a *huge* savings.

Last time down to the Twin Cities I stopped at a NAPA and got several 6-packs of Mobil 1 0W-30 for $27.60 a 6-pack. So it's not like I'm stuck for oil, and the 0W-30 for some reason is very hard to find up here.

Imagine, a climate that can dip to -40, but the 0W-30 is hard to find. However, at Autozone in St. George, Utah, they can't keep it on the shelves.

Alright, I guess my "sarcasm mode" turned itself back on.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Ray:

You won't get any arguement from me on that. Might not be a bad idea for a topic at FHOP.

15. jeepien

jeepien Member

Well, if you consider May to be "a while".

Remember, it's 5000 miles or 6 months.

16. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hot dawg, almost forgot about the 6 months. You're right, but I'm sure I'll put those miles on when the weather gets warmer. :wink: I get to follow my daughter around when softball starts up.

17. DanP

DanP Member

It's amazing the marketing feats one can accomplish when one has slave labor at his disposal. Go Wal*Mart!

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yep, works for China.