1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by magarmuch, Apr 26, 2012.

1. magarmuch

magarmuch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My Prius is now 4 months old and has just just over 5000 miles on it. The Oil Maintenance message is showing in the display. I was told that oil change intervals were 10,000miles. Can some one please advise me on this issue. Thanks.

2. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Change at 10,000. This is just an annoyance you will have to deal with every 5000 miles. There is a way to clear it. I forget what you have to do but it is in the manual. Maybe someone else remembers.

3. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm so skeptical about what they call fully synthetic oil anymore, there's no way I'm waiting the full 10K miles to change my oil. Just my opinion.

4. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it to the dealer. At 5000 they will check your fluids and rotate the tires and do the dash reset.

5. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil & a filter are cheep. My first oil changes on my vehicles are at 200 miles. Then again at 1000 miles, 2500 miles & 5000 miles and every 5000 miles after that. I would rather have spotless clean oil in my motors.

Mike :tea:

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you buy new? If so, you should have the two year Toyota Customer Care package... take it in.

7. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Toyota won't pay for an Oil Change at 5K, but some believe it is wise to perform the first Oil Change before 10K. Our Toyota Dealer will let you pay $54.95 to perform a 5K Oil Change. Then you can change the oil at for Free at 15K and 25K.
    Just a Suggestion.

8. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    With Toyota care you get the services -- is it not 2 years 20k? Or is it 25k

They will rotate your tires at the 5k or six months -- 1 year or 10k for the oil with the Toyota care.

You will find that the oil is sill extremely clean at 6 months and 5k -- you don't need to change it.

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that because of the motor shutting off so often? That is the part that is hard to figure out how much actual use is on the oil.

Mike

10. HaveNoCents

HaveNoCents Conservative Tree Hugger

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have 8800 miles on mine and the oil looks new.

11. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Absolute, total waste of money ... but hey .... go for it if it makes you feel good ....

REV

12. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The regular oil in our Lexus vehicles is clean at 5k -- and I am talking clean. I just checked one this morning with 7.5k on it. looks like apple juice ......No need to change it.

I don't think the Prius motor operation makes all that much difference.

I would obviously change it early if something looked strange.

13. blane

blane Carmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    You must own one of the major oil companies.

14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just checked my oil today with 8500 miles on it at 28.5K. You can barely see it on the dipstick it's so transparent. At exactly the same level as it was when it was put in at 20K.

10K intervals for me.

REV

15. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The changes that occurred in engine technology about 10 years ago is nothing short of amazing -- and Toyota was a leader in this area. We still have a 2000 Lexus V6 in the company fleet that has almost 250k on the motor... it runs like a top and maybe uses 1/2 a quart of oil in 7.5k changes. For the first 100k we used 5k intervals and 7.5 from that point on .. all on regular oil.

I will say that the german cars we have that use 0w-40 Mobil 1 look dirty at the 12k intervals -- The M1 0-40 has a lot of detergents in it ..so maybe that is why. But MB has been using 12k for more than 10 years with no ill effects using synthetics.

16. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    HOw many quarts of oil does the 2011 Prius hold. Is it 4.4? And when serviced should I ask for less like 4 or 4.2 quarts? I know with my 2005 Prius I always made sure to get 3.9.

17. JonWaters

JonWaters Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But doesn't the break-in (first 500 mi?) put some metal in the oil?

18. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes it does. This is normal part of the break-in. Though better now than years past, it still happens. And for the non-believers, reference the same reason for early Trans fluid change so widely accepted here.

Mechanic

19. BruceInOKC

BruceInOKC Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with an early first oil change, although how early is up for debate. In spite of modern improvements, there are still increased metal particles in new engines. Does the oil filter catch them all? No, it doesn't. Appearance isn't an accurate method for judging the condition of oil. If you truly want to know its condition, use oil analysis.

20. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The question that needs to be asked is "does it make any difference?"

Does dirt or any small metal particle have any detrimental effect on the engine and transmission - considering the filters/screens intended to catch any that would cause a problem?

The engineers will tell you that it does not and that the fluid characteristic change is anticipated. Fleet testing proves this to be accurate.

Remember -- years ago the early change was to remove the special oil that was intended to set the rings and did not provide the lubrication the engine required.

None of this matters - if you want to change the oil/fluids .... fine. It is just to educate those who have no knowledge and are told by service people that the car is going to be affected if you don't change the oil every 3k