1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mkbender, Sep 15, 2007.

1. mkbender

mkbender New Member

My 2007 Prius is about a month old now and it has 950 miles on it. When I bought the the car the dealer suggested that I get my oil changed after 1000 miles or so. Every thread I read on here gives a different answer to whether I should do an oil change now or later.

My other question is, if I do an oil change now should I switch to a synthetic or wait for around 5000 miles to do that?

Does anyone know what Toyota says about the first oil change and about synthetic oil use?

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't waste good oil by doing it now. Just follow what Toyota suggests, not what a stealership suggests.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Your first oil change is at 5000 miles, not 1000.

As far as synthetic, there is really no need for it if you perform the recommended oil change schedule. Keep in mind that the engine (ICE) of the Prius has a lot less running time than a convential car during the same interval since the ICE cycles on and off and does not run continuously.

Also, make sure the dealer does not overfill your oil. 3.5 quarts is plenty to put in. Overfill will result in reduced MPG and possible engine damage. Check the dipstick when the service rep returns the car to you. If it's above the full mark, make them drain out the excess.

4. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    when I changed mine for the first time at 5000 it was the cleanest used oil I have ever seen. Still completely honey colored. I switched to synthetic at my first change and I do it myself. Also just 3qts is really all you need because that will take you above 1/2 up the safe zone on the dipstick.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My dealer offered a free change at 1000 miles, which I accepted. I wouldn't have paid for it though.

6. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(firepa63 @ Sep 15 2007, 09:36 AM) [snapback]512975[/snapback]</div>
    But remember the prius takes about 30 % (1 1/2 qts) less oil than most traditional cars which in my opinion can make for faster oil breakdown and should negate anything saved from the ICE shutting down.

7. drifty1955

drifty1955 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bender @ Sep 15 2007, 03:59 AM) [snapback]512922[/snapback]</div>

I think your right on the mark! Been using Mobil 1 since it came out 20 years ago on about 20 different cars and its fantastic. You can't go wrong! I just changed the oil on my 07 at 800 miles to Mobil One. I have noticed post after post about overfill of the oil is really bad for this car and thats alot of b.s. I took delivery of my car with the factory oil about 3/8's an inch above the mark. It ran great. One thing I noticed though since delivery is the oil smells like fuel. I mean it smells like a lawn mower.Like a car with about 100K on it. New factory filter ( about $6) AND 3.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5-30 and I'm good to go for 7K+. Only 100 miles on it now and no fuel smell.Its a great car isn't it?

8. morpheusx

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Drifty'sDad @ Sep 16 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]513209[/snapback]</div>
    Just so you know Overfill of oil on any car is bad. If it is overfilled it will wear out emission components faster because it will blow alot of that oil right out the exhaust causing alot of that residue to stick to the O2 sensors. It may seem fine but 30,000 - 40,000 miles from now when you need to pass an emissions test and you have to replace a part that has the potential to last the life of your car at least you will know why.

By the way the reason it probably smelled like fuel is because it probably was, when cars are moved short distances especially frequently like what a dealership does a small amount of fuel gets in the oil (no warmup), and also small amounts of water as well (humidity like how the outside of a glass gets wet), I would have been willing to bet money that if you drove it on a good 50 mile trip and then checked it later that it would have checked at the full line instead.

9. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    An initial oil change earlier than the 5000 mile US schedule could not hurt. The used oil analyses posted on PriusChat indicate that the highest levels of 'wear metals' appear in the first oil change. Those levels are not high when compared to some other engines, however this is the only time when evidence suggests any possible advantage to early engine oil change in Prius.

If we could somehow convince many more people to analyze their engine oil (and post results), much more definitive pronouncements could be made.