1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusPhotog, Jun 3, 2005.

1. PriusPhotog

PriusPhotog New Member

I bought a new 2005 Toyota Prius in mid-March of 2005. I have 1700 miles on the car, and will leave for a big trip in two weeks. The trip will be a photography excursion through parts of Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, and Nebraska. It should be a blast, but I am worried about when/where to get my first oil change. I estimate that my total trip will be around 4300 miles, but this might flex a bit either way as it is hard to estimate some of the day drives I will take. If that estimate is correct, I will return with a bit over 6000 miles on the car.

-An oil change before I leave will be very early at less than 2000 miles.
    -An oil change when I return could be at 6000 miles or more.
    -I can't find a Toyota Dealer with Express Lube along my route. The best bet seems to be Rapid City, SD, but they aren't certified. Maybe I am being to picky in limiting myself to dealers with Express Lube.

I would be very interested in any suggestions from the great folks around here. Thanks!

2. GeekyDragon

GeekyDragon New Member

Wait until you get back to change the oil. Regularly changing the oil in your car is important for engine longevity, but it's not such an exacting process where you have to to it at exactly 5k. Especially if this is only an occasional thing.

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Hmmm... IMO, since you're running on "new" oil that has gone through the break in period, I would probably change it. I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but on brand new motorcycle engines (typically 4 cylinder 4-strokes just like most cars, although they're designed to rev higher, higher compression ratios, but they are physically similar in many respects), typically recommend the first oil change half way through the break in period, and again at the end of the break in period. Reason being, supposedly, during the break in period, you may get more microscopic metal particles in your oil from parts "settling" in...

IMO, if you do it before the trip, you won't be worrying about it as much during the trip... :mrgreen:

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

if you encounter really hot weather I'd have it changed around the 5k mark. If the weather is cool and the temps are in the mid 70 I wouldn't bother changing it mid route. As the Prius engine spends a lot of it's time off or at very low power output an extra 1000 miles isn't going to do any harm. I wouldn't try for much over 6k though. If your really concerened I wouldn't hesitate to have it done before the trip. Remember to check your tire pressure before you leave and often during the trip. Probaby more important that the oil.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I both agree and disagree with the advice here. I see your oil change delima as more of an opportunity to upgrade oils. I doubt that an extra 1000 miles on the current oil will be such an issue. On the other hand if you change your oil before the trip you won't have to worry about it while on the trip. Peace of mind is a good reason to change your oil.

I'm not convinced that there is much break in activity on the engine that is occurring right now that may spoil the current oil more than normal engine operation would. These engines, and in fact all automotive engines are broken in at the factory. There should be no shavings or anything foreign in the engine at all, even brand new.

So, here is what I would do. Get the oil changed, but move up to synthetic. Also get a quality oil filter. Toyota filters are good, however there are a number of third party brands of filters which are better. I like Purolator PureOne. I combined that filter with Mobil1 5w30. I had my selling dealer do my most recent oil change out of convenience, however I provided him the oil and filter and let him do the work. He had no qualms about the materials I gave him.

Have fun on your trip.

6. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up our Prius on Wed. (6/1), the dealer wants me to come for a free oil change at 1500 miles. Then change it at intervals of 3000 to 5000 miles thereafter. They charge $25 for the oil change and $15 to rotate the tires.

7. PriusPhotog

PriusPhotog New Member

Thank you all for the information. I have decided to change the oil beforehand mainly to give me peace of mind. Now I won't feel at all restricted by how many miles I can drive. Thanks!!

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:547d9ded95]Good choice, but please don't be tempted by synthetic oil just yet. Some people report better MPG, but until all the metal parts in your ICE seat by the slight friction regular oil doesn't stop, you need to allow a little wear.

Another thing to watch for and watch out for is over filling. Three quarts is about right, or maybe 3[sup:547d9ded95]1[/sup:547d9ded95]/[sub:547d9ded95]2[/sub:547d9ded95] and take the other half quart with you. Overfull will be hard on the engine and lower MPG.[/font:547d9ded95]

9. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oil change. interesting subject. I had my changed today. The fire time i did not do it myself. It was amusing as the people at jiffylube tried to figure out how to run my car. I was laughing inside and worried at the same time. I don't like other people around my car. They seemed to have troubles finding out how to drive the car. I noticed the brake was on a lot.. forgot to shift? couldnt find P? the car would roll.. brake... roll.. brake.. lol. very amusing.

little did i know they reset the oil change, service, and filter in the computer trip info.... hmm.. cool. they know how to do something with this car. i think they overfilled though. I'll check it tomorrow morning since everything will be settled.
    Even possibly overfilled, i'm getting 58.5mpg currently ( a lot of cruising on the highway )