1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

first oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Drifter, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Drifter

Drifter Member

Last friday I brought my 05 in for its first oil change. I went to the dealership in libertyville, IL as it is close to my work and has had good reviews on this website. I requested that they use Mobil 1 oil and only put in 3.5 quarts. I also requested a tire rotation and the tire pressure set to 36/34.

Saturday morning I decided to check to see if they had followed my directions. The tire pressure seemed about right (I don't have the best gauge so it could have been off 1-2 psi) but the oil was between a quarter and a half inch above the second dot (full mark). I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go through the hassle of bringing it back in to have some oil removed, but before I even call to complain I had a few questions.

1. Is there any way that they really only added 3.5 quarts but that was still too much? Where should that put the oil level?

2. Is there any way to drain the excess oil without the hassle of removing the oil filter?

3. Is there any way for me to tell if they really used the Mobil 1 oil?

4. For anyone who has been to the libertyville dealership: Tell me your experiences. Is there someone specific I should ask to work on my car?

Thanks in advance for your comments. I'm assuming the answers to 1-3 are all no. I don't think I'm as bothered by the fact that the oil level is a little high as much as that they ignored my specific request.

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmmm, makes you wonder. Usually 3 qts puts it at about 1/2 between the dots. 3 litres about 3/4 between the 2 dots

Pay a visit to a few auto parts stores (NAPA, Pep Boys, Autozone, etc) and see if they have an oil change gadget that can suck oil out through the dipstick tube.

Professional models easily cost +$100, but the consumer models are usually under $50. Not sure if it's worth the money and hassle, unless you decide to change the oil yourself from now on.

You would have to drain out a small sample and have a lab perform a Used Oil Analysis. Otherwise no, there is no simple way to tell if they used "real" Mobil 1. Another good reason to change your own oil.

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did your service writer actually write (or type) everything you specified on the ticket? If not, it's a very slim likelihood the service tech did everything you requested.

If they billed you for synthetic oil, it's a good bet you got it. I use Mobil 1 as well, and have noticed it's darker than good conventional oils even when brand new. As for the volume of oil added, it's possible the tech added oil, ran the engine a bit, then checked it. If it was spot on, they let it go.

When you checked it this morning, if the engine hadn't been run, all the oil that would have been up at the top of the engine would have drained down and made the engine appear more full. Sometimes it's tough for techs to get the oil level exactly where the customer wants it, for this reason.

My advice is to ask the service writer who their best tech is (assuming mor than one can do the work you specify), continue to request things be done a certain way, and then see how well that one tech does. If good, continue requesting said tech.

4. Drifter

Drifter Member

Thanks for the quick replies.

All of my requests were typed into the service order and showed up on my receipt. Since the tire pressures seemed right I assume the technician read the order and used mobil one oil. It did look a bit darker to me so it is reassuring that the mobil one is darker. Of course I've never checked my oil level regularly so I'm not the best one to judge color.

I assumed it was best to check the level after the car had been sitting overnight. Is the car supposed to be run prior to checking? When is the level supposed to be between the marks?

I understand that it might be hard for the techs to get an exact level, but it shouldn't be hard for them to put in a specific volume.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your "overfill" condition seems about right for a straight 4 qt. fill. I do a straight 4 qt fill on my vehicle, and the level you describe seems correct for that fill, however I think mine might be a little lower because I wait longer before putting the plug back on the pan. There tends to be a bit of oil that will continue to drip out making a bit of difference in terms of fill level when a full 4 qt are returned to the sump. You can never really get all the oil out of the vehicle, however you can do a very good job of letting gravity do its job. The lube bay at a dealer is in the business of getting vehicles in and out quickly, so they won't go take a break for 15 minutes after the oil plug is removed so that oil can drip out gradually. No, they get most of the oil out and when the flow has basically stopped they put the plug back in and fill it up again.

I'm inclined to believe that your dealer is using quart bottles of Mobil1 rather than bulk oil that comes out of a dispenser system. Lube shops, like Jiffy Lube and Oil Can Henry's tend to have the oil dispensing systems and quart measuring jugs. They can pour into the measuring jug the exact amount of oil you request or is stated on their service database and put that in the engine. The dealer probably only has one bulk fill valve, maybe 2 for different weights, and because customers are starting to want to be filled with synthetic they are carrying that stock in quarts because they neither have the bulk distribution system in place to handel it or have the demand for another oil grade to be carried in bulk.

6. Drifter

Drifter Member

Well I decided to bring it back to the dealer. They removed some oil and gave me a coupon for free labor on my next oil change.

They said they get the mobil 1 oil in quart containers, so from now on I will ask for the extra half quart of oil so I know they followed my instructions. If they give me the half quart back and it still looks overfilled next time then I will start asking for only 3 quarts to be used.

Thanks again for your comments!

7. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like they are customer service oriented. That is good.

Be careful about running the vehicle underfilled. That is certainly worse than a slight overfill and leaves a whole lot less margin for human or mechanical error.