1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Personal Prius-Bashing Experience

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SunnyvalePrius, Apr 11, 2007.

1. SunnyvalePrius

SunnyvalePrius New Member

Well, I had read about people who are convinced the Prius is evil, but I had never personally met one until yesterday. While having lunch with some former colleagues, I was talking about my Prius. One of my former coworkers then started telling me all the awful things about the Prius. It was all the same things I had seen posted and rebutted here before.

There was the story of the nickel mine that destroyed the environment all because of the Prius, to which I could reply that Toyota buys 1% of the output, the mine has been polluting for 100 years, and other cars use nickel too.

There was the downward revision of the EPA mileage estimates, to which I could reply that nearly all cars were having their numbers revised down, and by about the same percentage, so the percentage advantage of the Prius was still the same.

There was the claim that the Prius was hugely expensive, to which I could point out that compared to other cars with similar passenger size, cargo capacity, and safety and comfort features, it really wasn't, and comparing it to a Geo Metro wasn't really an apples-to-apples comparison.

There was the claim that the battery wouldn't last long, to which I could point out the 10-year warranty.

One of my coworkers actually said that someone she knew never got over 30 MPG in the Prius. I could tell her how much better my mileage was, but it's hard to imagine where she got such a low number. I have to wonder if people somehow get it in their mind that the Prius is bad and just convince themselves of the truth of some number they just made up because it seems reasonable to them, given that they don't think the Prius is really that efficient.

It was interesting to see how none of my replies had any effect. The two colleagues who were bashing the Prius just kept moving to other arguments against it and weren't phased in the slightest when I had facts or personal experience to contradict what they thought.

So after a while I just gave up. Those two people are still just as convinced that the Prius is a marketing scam.

2. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You made logical arguments.
    You quoted facts.
    You remained calm.

Sometimes people are just stubborn and there's nothing to be done. Just enjoy driving your Prius. You know you're right.

Has anyone of your colleagues driven a Prius? Here's an idea. Invite the more stubborn ones to lunch. Pick them up in your Prius. Show them that it drives, feels and looks like a normal car.

;) You mentioned "former coworkers"....maybe they're jealous of your new car. :D

3. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

Every person who has seen my car, and especially those who have been driven in it, has been highly impressed- even my friends who drive big gas-guzzling SUVs.

4. charliem

charliem New Member

There are a lot of jealous people out there ,put them on ignore.I have witnessed this amongst my own friends.

5. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 11 2007, 06:44 AM) [snapback]421406[/snapback]</div>
    every person I work with LOVES my car, the first thing they said about it was "it looks so sporty" B) thats because its the touring model I told them. Whenever someone goes for a "lunch run" they automatically come to my console and grab the keys to my car! not one of them can resist the chance to ride in, let a lone drive in, a Hybrid. I am sure its all the gadgets in the car but that ok they are saving the environment with every mile they put on my car instead of theirs.

6. robincx

robincx "Fear is the mind killer"

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    95% of the time people are very impressed with my Prius, it is the default lunch car for the group. But, now and then I do sense an overly pushy driver that causes me to zoom quickly out of range. While that dents my milage in a negative way, I feel I silence the guzzlers with my speedy exit.

Your former co-workers are just jealous.

Robin

7. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And you need to tell that friend of a friend who gets under 30 mpg in her Prius that she should really try driving the car with the parking brake off. :p

8. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sunnyvale Prius,

Don't you get the impression some people never got past the grade school yard emotionally?

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(charliem @ Apr 11 2007, 09:39 AM) [snapback]421420[/snapback]</div>
    Jealous? I'd bet they're GM/SUV types. They're the ones who typically throw up the most crap.

10. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 11 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]421435[/snapback]</div>
    Another way for a Prius' gas mileage to take a dramatic dive is to forget to turn the vehicle off when exiting. Supposedly, a new owner managed to get 12 MPG in this manner when they left their Prius 'on' for an entire week. The battery would discharge and would then be recharged continually by the ICE cycling on and off.

11. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 11 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]421451[/snapback]</div>

. . .and are the ones who are feeling a deep, irreconcilable need to justify their own very poor transportation choices.

I'd only add one suggestion for a response: advise these folks that there's plenty of reasonably priced professional help available for those who are so insecure that they feel the need to attack choices other people make and are happy about. :rolleyes:

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Give us their names. We'll have them killed.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most people do not want to feel they are wrong, have been living wrong, or made the wrong choices. As such the Prius basically screams at them, "you are doing it wrong". They then go about gathering data to support their choices despite any contradicting evidence that their data may be faulty.

I think Thom Hartman talked about this and called it "Framing". You create or adopt a mental frame and any facts that do not support your frame get tossed aside. It's much like religion.

14. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 11 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]421465[/snapback]</div>
    And for some, the phenomenon is so powerful that they feel the need to affirmatively, sometimes viciously, attack any facts, viewpoints, paradigms, what-have-you, that don't fall squarely within their personal frame of reference.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 11 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]421465[/snapback]</div>
    Thom was probably referring to George Lakoff when he mentioned framing- Lakoff has written books on how conservatives use that to their advatage.
    Thom Hartman has about the best talk program on radio- and it pisses me off that XM radio does not broadcast it!

16. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Apr 11 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]421465[/snapback]</div>
    There are too many people out there that attempt to make facts support erroneous conclusions.

What do you do with people who insist on living in denial?

I've heard of stories of Prius drivers pumping gas right after Katrina and big SUV drivers glare at them. :rolleyes:

I don't know - if you give your good experiences, it will probably rub it in as it can't be refuted.

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 11 2007, 09:14 AM) [snapback]421473[/snapback]</div>
    I believe you are correct. I have a 28min Bioneers radio spot that Thom did titled :Frame or be Framed".

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Apr 11 2007, 09:10 AM) [snapback]421467[/snapback]</div>
    I agree 100%.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Apr 11 2007, 09:38 AM) [snapback]421496[/snapback]</div>
    I just give them a few rebuttals but if they are not willing to hear my new data then I will simply let them know my reasons for liking the Prius and let it go at that. Persistance is better than insistance.

As for the denialists. They should all be forced to watch "Who Moved My Cheese". It's a great little short movie that can be applied in so many ways. Here are some quotes:

19. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My guess estimate of Prius Ni use is that it is miniscule at best. Look at all the cordless tools whose battery packs last only 2-3 years and are put in the trash. Made in China. Toyota says the battery is not being replaced significantly, if at all, yet. Ni is also alloyed in many metals used in huge quantities. The whole world is extremely wasteful of resources, nothing new.

The Prius is still a car, it will respond to driving styles, waste is waste. It will get about double the average 4 cyl sedan in mixed driving in my experience. The Prius is a huge leap forward as an efficient gasoline car. I am getting 51-52 first 500 miles. I can already see at a steady 60-62 on a smooth flat road mileage will be about 55-60+, maybe better. I am amazed at Toys. engineering to achieve this feat using gas power. Pretending there is an egg under the gas peddle.

So that is what I would say to them, but of course it really doesn't matter what they think. It is because they didn't buy one yet and are expecting something magic, which it isn't.

The only thing I want more in mine is a softer ride, not used to firm ride after Q45. I would like to put a wider, softer tire on someday. I am reducing my air pressure to the 35/33 value, as it came from the dealer with 38 all around, too harsh for my taste. I think the car is great for my purpose. The electric steering takes getting used to, it is so so quick, and is an improvement over the hydraulic rack and pinion, which in turn improved on the recirc ball system.

20. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

Blind belief in heresay to support an argument is irrational and rooted in insecurity. I think these "Prius haters" aren't out to hate the Prius, per se, but are looking for a way to rationalize their own wasteful behavior in front of those who have chosen to effect change in their lives, and ultimately, the world. I'd guess that they would exhibit the same behavior if the topic was about solar panels on your roof, wind energy, or energy conserving appliances.

I minimize my resource usage, changed out all of my home's stock appliances to highly energy efficient ones, and bought a Prius -- all in an effort to reduce my carbon footprint. The opposite end of the spectrum is someone who doesn't believe global warming exists, or if he does, dismisses attempts by people to address the situation as "marketing hype".

There is a great series out on DVD called "30 Days" by Morgan Spurlock. One of the episodes revolves around placing two wasteful people from the heart of Manhatten into an organic, green, vegan commune out in the countryside for 30 days. The net result? One person wanted to effect change in many aspects of her life, while the other said "I think I'll buy a fluorescent light bulb". It took 30 days in an environmental commune where they recycle their own feces to determine that he would invest in a fluorescent light bulb.

Every person experiences inertia towards change, some more than others.