1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Photos of The New Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by zenMachine, Sep 13, 2007.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The freshened Prius will get a new front fascia, including a new grille design which appears to take after the corporate grille design seen on the Camry and the Yaris. The prototype's headlights have also been radically reshaped, ditching the current car's elongated lights.The old lights nearly reached back to the Prius' A-pillars, but the new lights are smaller, angular clusters set wide on the front-end. The result is a much more mainstream styling treatment. The bumper-mounted air-intake also looks to have been reshaped, but the heavy white tape obscures the true extent of the changes...

http://jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/first-...rius-299305.php

2. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The freshened Prius will get a new front fascia, including a new grille design which appears to take after the corporate grille design seen on the Camry and the Yaris. The prototype's headlights have also been radically reshaped, ditching the current car's elongated lights.The old lights nearly reached back to the Prius' A-pillars, but the new lights are smaller, angular clusters set wide on the front-end. The result is a much more mainstream styling treatment. The bumper-mounted air-intake also looks to have been reshaped, but the heavy white tape obscures the true extent of the changes...

http://jalopnik.com/cars/spy-photos/first-...rius-299305.php

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it has projector headlights...

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it has projector headlights...

5. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, looks like they put some white tape over the front end. And a pretty ugly job of it too.
    Wonder what the deal was...

6. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Actually, looks like they put some white tape over the front end. And a pretty ugly job of it too.
    Wonder what the deal was...

7. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn.. And I was hoping that the 2009 Prius would look like the one in the Popular Mechanics spy report http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...rs/4212545.html

That looked NICE.

On the other hand, the Jalopnik photos looks like the same GenII carbody with token cosmetic front-end changes.. Doesn't look much different than my 07.. :mellow:

8. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Damn.. And I was hoping that the 2009 Prius would look like the one in the Popular Mechanics spy report http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive...rs/4212545.html

That looked NICE.

On the other hand, the Jalopnik photos looks like the same GenII carbody with token cosmetic front-end changes.. Doesn't look much different than my 07.. :mellow:

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that white test vehicle is the new Prius, then Toyota has really taken two steps backward...

The euro style Prius that we saw back in March looks much better.

Keith :unsure:

10. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If that white test vehicle is the new Prius, then Toyota has really taken two steps backward...

The euro style Prius that we saw back in March looks much better.

Keith :unsure:

11. skandale

skandale Member

It could just be a mule, with old body panel on a new Prius to be able to test new technology without giving away the new looks.

Or, which I believe is more likely, the new generation Prius is delayed to 2010, and the 2009 Prius will just get a face-lift to keep the design fresh.

As so many manufacturers now look at the hybrid concept, I guess Toyota will make sure the new generation Prius will keep it's standing as the most advanced hybrid car. So rather than releasing a new generation without LiIon and/or plug-in, they'll rather postpone the new generation one year to get these technologies ready for the consumer market.

Just my 2 øre
    (norwegian currency, worth less than 2 cents, but with the quality of my thoughts I guess it's adequate)

-Stein

12. skandale

skandale Member

It could just be a mule, with old body panel on a new Prius to be able to test new technology without giving away the new looks.

Or, which I believe is more likely, the new generation Prius is delayed to 2010, and the 2009 Prius will just get a face-lift to keep the design fresh.

As so many manufacturers now look at the hybrid concept, I guess Toyota will make sure the new generation Prius will keep it's standing as the most advanced hybrid car. So rather than releasing a new generation without LiIon and/or plug-in, they'll rather postpone the new generation one year to get these technologies ready for the consumer market.

Just my 2 øre
    (norwegian currency, worth less than 2 cents, but with the quality of my thoughts I guess it's adequate)

-Stein

13. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't buy it... looks like someone just took a '06-'07 Prius and took the side decals off (because you can see the rear tail lights are all chrome and you can actually see the chrome 'V' in the grille which fits the description of an '06-'07, only thing missing is the 'Hybrid' logo from the side fenders which easily was probably taped over or removed). But you can see how much tape they put over it, they could have simply just taped a pattern over the headlights to make them look redesigned (or took them out completely and taped in a kit from a Honda or something), and you can even make out where they taped over the fog lights (slightly rounded, and the lower grille is much narrower which means they easily just taped over the fog lights). Then, you start to think... It has Michigan plates, why would Toyota test out a new 'redesign' in Michigan? There's no way... I don't buy it for a minute. My bet is that some Prius enthusiast wanted to change the look the 'duct tape' way and maybe even try to make it slightly more aerodynamic, and someone managed to take pictures possibly with the sole purpose of making people think its a new design... just crazy if you ask me.

Anyway, from what I last remember reading... GM is promising the Chevy Volt by 2011. Toyota was wanting to do Lithium batteries of some sort with a possible plug-in option (or else they'll never be able to hold the lead, much less compete) but they were just too concerned about safety and reliability and would not produce and sell a car that didn't meet those criteria, so more testing has to be done therefore I last heard they were pushing back the 2009 redesign to 2011 also (I wouldn't expect significant changes until 2011). I'll be looking forward to it though!

14. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't buy it... looks like someone just took a '06-'07 Prius and took the side decals off (because you can see the rear tail lights are all chrome and you can actually see the chrome 'V' in the grille which fits the description of an '06-'07, only thing missing is the 'Hybrid' logo from the side fenders which easily was probably taped over or removed). But you can see how much tape they put over it, they could have simply just taped a pattern over the headlights to make them look redesigned (or took them out completely and taped in a kit from a Honda or something), and you can even make out where they taped over the fog lights (slightly rounded, and the lower grille is much narrower which means they easily just taped over the fog lights). Then, you start to think... It has Michigan plates, why would Toyota test out a new 'redesign' in Michigan? There's no way... I don't buy it for a minute. My bet is that some Prius enthusiast wanted to change the look the 'duct tape' way and maybe even try to make it slightly more aerodynamic, and someone managed to take pictures possibly with the sole purpose of making people think its a new design... just crazy if you ask me.

Anyway, from what I last remember reading... GM is promising the Chevy Volt by 2011. Toyota was wanting to do Lithium batteries of some sort with a possible plug-in option (or else they'll never be able to hold the lead, much less compete) but they were just too concerned about safety and reliability and would not produce and sell a car that didn't meet those criteria, so more testing has to be done therefore I last heard they were pushing back the 2009 redesign to 2011 also (I wouldn't expect significant changes until 2011). I'll be looking forward to it though!

15. skandale

skandale Member

If the next generation Prius is pushed back to 2011, then I guess there would be quite likely that Toyota might want to give the current generation a little face-lift on the way.

Those pictures may or may not be a real Toyota test car, but I'd be surprised if Toyota will let the Prius go completely unchanged, design wise, for another two years.

-Stein

16. skandale

skandale Member

If the next generation Prius is pushed back to 2011, then I guess there would be quite likely that Toyota might want to give the current generation a little face-lift on the way.

Those pictures may or may not be a real Toyota test car, but I'd be surprised if Toyota will let the Prius go completely unchanged, design wise, for another two years.

-Stein

17. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Sep 13 2007, 03:44 AM) [snapback]511808[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you! I blew the pics up in detail in a hi res and the headlights and whole front clip are taped over. I don't think the whip antenna is for a production vehicle. Wheels are the same also. Read the quality of the posts at that website too. I believe the PM pics much more.

18. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ilusnforc @ Sep 13 2007, 03:44 AM) [snapback]511808[/snapback]</div>
    I'm with you! I blew the pics up in detail in a hi res and the headlights and whole front clip are taped over. I don't think the whip antenna is for a production vehicle. Wheels are the same also. Read the quality of the posts at that website too. I believe the PM pics much more.

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like Stein's thought. Heck, there aren't even rings on the tires.
    The technology driving the Prius is completely separate from the body panels that happen to be bolted/snapped on at the time.

I do think it's funny how they apparently taped over the Toyota symbol on the back. Was this to keep people from guessing who the manufacturer is? ;)

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like Stein's thought. Heck, there aren't even rings on the tires.
    The technology driving the Prius is completely separate from the body panels that happen to be bolted/snapped on at the time.

I do think it's funny how they apparently taped over the Toyota symbol on the back. Was this to keep people from guessing who the manufacturer is? ;)