1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First piece of damage to my new Prius. *UPDATED PICTURES*

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by whitespider, Jul 22, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hello all. I guess it's bound to happen eventually, and even it's not, it's not as if it was unlikely. I was parking after filling up my fourth tank of gas. as I went to park in reverse I was too close to the car door from the space next to mine, so i pulled up a bit and struck into a metal piece sticking out from a broken parking space cement block. Anyways the damage sounded and felt a little rough, i was hopnig for not too bad a scratch on the underside.. and when I looked, I saw this:

(Click to enlarge)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is the culprit:
    (Click to enlarge)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyways, what do you all recommend I do? I really don't care for cost. My bills arn't high as i'm a 22 year old living at home. My car costs me alot, since I got it pkg 6, but I don't mind paying a little more to fix this problem. Whole new bumper? What is to be done? I don't want to drive around with it like this waiting for a more 'serious' blow to it before i fix/replace it. Then again, I don't know, and that's why i'm here.

Suggestions?

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jul 22 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]483086[/snapback]</div>
    People would probably have to see what you did to know how to advise you... however, you're probably going to have to replace the bumper.

I had a very low speed parking lot collision a few months back, and honestly I just tapped the back of this woman's Buick. Her car got a scratch, and my car looked like someone ripped open the bumper. If you're interested in the costs, I have the bill around, but I did have to pay the full deductable (the cost was over 500). I also have pictures, if you want to see what a low speed collision can do to a Prius, but it's not pretty looking. :)

3. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jul 22 2007, 12:38 PM) [snapback]483158[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm. This is my first car, i'm 22, and i'm in that phase in my life where i'm trying to be a responsible adult. I felt that I'd pay whatever the cost was, out of my pocket, to replace the bumper. So long as it wasn't more than 900 or 1000 then I was fine with it and could live with the cost as a testiment to be more careful (this is my first car, and i paid it out of my pocket, cash, from saving up from from $10/h+ jobs for about two and a half years), so that I would take 'scrapes' more seriously and avoid them at all costs.

I'll have pictures later today, since the sun is out and I could better see the damage.

4. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jul 22 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]483162[/snapback]</div>
    You can't avoid all scrapes, ya know. :)

I'd let the insurance handle this if you have accident forgiveness or something like that on your policy.

5. Sean & Ian

Sean & Ian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jul 22 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]483086[/snapback]</div>
    I was backing into a parking space and went a little too far, and punctured my rear bumper with this bolt that was sticking out of the wall. I showed it to a few car repair people, and they all said that there is really nothing that can be done to fix it, except to replace the bumper. After the incident, I immediately put a piece of clear tape over it so rain water won't go in. Now the hole is covered with a bumper sticker -- I normally don't like to put anything like that on my car, so it took me a while to find the one that looked decent. Sorry I can't show you the hole, since it's already covered up B)

6. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Pictures uploaded. REALLY this time, heh. Sorry I took so long. It doesn't look too bad, but i'm just.. vain.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jul 22 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]483163[/snapback]</div>

Hmm. State Farm... Don't know... Rather keep them out of it since i'm not familiar with them enough yet heh.

But if it works, it works.

The bumpersticker idea isn't bad. look at the damage and you tell me.

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you want to do it yourself and cover the hole you could always get one of those chin spoilers for the Prius. This would just cover the hole. If you don't like the chin spoiler look you can always buy a replacement bumper cover. Both are not that hard to install.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Whitespider, put this in the "Sh!t happens" category. This car seems to pick up an amazing amount of trivial damage. I can relate to wanting a perfect looking show car but the fact is that you drive it on the road. Sooner or later it will get dinged, cut or scraped. That damage is small and low so I didn't notice it immediately in your first picture.

Here's my advice. Remove the damaged plastic that is sticking out by either carefully cutting or sanding. (The idea is to not create more damage.) Then leave it be. There isn't anything behind the plastic to worry about. Start shopping for a clear bra and get the front bumper, hood, and lights covered. I was quoted $500 for Venture Shield installed. This will prevent the inevitable nicks & scratches and maybe some scrapes. While you are at it, get the rear bumper covered as well. Have you considered the rubber trim for the bumpers as posted here?

If you replace the bumper it will be a comprehensive claim. Your insurance probably won't increase this time but most likely will next time. You'll have to buy the bumper and get it painted. Take it to a couple of body shops for a quick look.

The first ding is always the hardest and it's worse when you do it yourself. Look at it this way. Anybody can have a shiny perfect Prius. Yours has character now.

9. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Another point of view is that the parking curb should have been replaced long ago or fixed by the owner of the curb whether it is city or private property.
    If someone was walking by and cut their leg who is at fault.
    I would ask the owner to at least pay half the bill.
    When driving it was not able to be seen.

Maybe some day-glow paint on it for now and then a new curb. will save someone else from getting a rupture.

10. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Jul 24 2007, 08:30 AM) [snapback]484067[/snapback]</div>
    good point, except that it was *drum roll......* GUEST parking!! (for my complex).

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's an accident waiting to happen. Somebody could get really hurt on that, not to mention your guest's cars. Show the pictures to whoever manages your complex, at least, if not your insurance agent.

12. telstar

telstar New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(whitespider @ Jul 22 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]483086[/snapback]</div>

You can always replace the bumper cover with an OEM or AM (aftermarket) part - usually the AM cover is quite a bit cheaper. Your existing bumper cover can be repaired also. The hole isn't bad and body shops have materials for the repair. Best bet is take it to the body shop(s) of your choice, tell them what you want and get estimates. Old insurance adjuster talking here...

Ray

13. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Write a letter (sent via return receipt mail) to the owner of the parking lot telling them what happend, show them the pictures, then tell them how much a NEW bumper will cost to be installed. (have repair estimates from (3) shops ready). Tell them that you want them to pay for the repair and that you will await their response. (no more than 2 weeks)
    If they tell you to pound sand, send them another letter stating that you will be suing them should they not pay (this is probably a small claims case).

Get the tuing fixed, and then sue them!

They have a responsibility to have a safe premesis (not your responsibsility to know and avoid dangers), and this is a danger they knew about or should have known about, and just refused to fix. Knowledge based on the apparent rustiness of the re-bar indicating that it had been exposed to the elements for a while.

14. rfish

rfish Junior Member

Whitespider,

As an insurance guy in Indiana, unfortunately this would be considered a collision claim, since you struck an object. Unless you have an accident forgiveness policy or if the claim is less than a certain limit, it would count against you and possibly increase your rates. Priussoris is correct that the complex is liable for not having "safe conditions" to either its tenants or a visitor. They are obligated to keep their property maintained to prevent injury to anyone on the property. I agree with the suggestion to bringing this to the attention of the property manager and/or their insurance carrier.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Jul 23 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]483927[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with JimN. The damage is cosmetic, and tiny, and located in an area where it's hard to see. After carefully cutting and/or sanding as JimN suggests, I suggest that you try touch-up paint (the color code is 1G3 -- I also own a Magnetic Gray Prius). My guess is that the damage will then be hardly noticeable (and rarely noticed by anyone in real life). But if it then nonetheless continues to bother you, I would take it to body shop or 2 to see what they can do - short of replacing the bumper cover which I think will be expensive.

I'm the poster and big advocate of the BumperDefender.com bumper guard strips that I think JimN is referring to. For your reference, I attach one photo showing the front bumper guard strip:

[IMGLINK]http://priuschat.com/forums/attachments/gen-ii-prius-modifications/4718d1185170280-here-where-buy-side-moldings-bumper-guards-prius___with_bumper_guards___side_moldings_052.jpg[/IMGLINK]

If you're interested, you can search "bumper guards" or my name "Boo" and see my numerous posts and other photos regarding them. Note that I installed their "Dark Grey" which is a pretty close color match to Magnetic Grey. However, after I installed mine, they came out with a color called "Flint Mica Grey" which I understand is a perfect color match to Magnetic Gray.

I think that either the bumper guard strips or the clear bra JimN suggested will protect against a lot of common bumper guard nicks, scratches and scrapes. But you should note that neither the bumper guard strips nor the bra would have protected against a puncture like you received (the bumper guard strips might have, but only if the metal rod hit the bumper guard strip; in your case, the puncture occurred in an area that most people wouldn't normally cover with a bumper guard strip).

Good luck. Your car still looks great.

16. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I made it a little over a month without any incidents, so the honeymoon period must be over... (Better than my last new car, which had $275 bumper paint damage inflicted by another parker, within 24 hours of me driving it off the lot!)
    While looking back over my shoulder, for one last admiring glance at my shiny parked Prius (I'd just towelled it down last night after a pleasant rain, so it was looking extra clean)... I spotted something on the front side over the wheelwell, driver's side. Upon closer inspection, it was one of the classic "door dings" from a car door hitting my car, complete with the little scuff marks that go with it. The resulting dimple in my sheet metal is quite small... Probably no larger in size than a nickel at the outside, and very, very shallow. But of course, it SCREAMS out at me now. Sadly, the only place I can think where I'd parked that this could happen, is at Washington National Cathedral where I volunteer as a tour guide... the row of spaces I was in, nose-in spaces on a diagonal slant towards the left, could make it possible that the car left of mine, pulling their nose to the curb in their space, would have aligned one of their doors with that forward part of my car. (Even though I was in an end space, and deliberately parked far to the right inside my space.) Doh! A sad day for my silver baby... :(

17. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Christo,

So sorry to hear that you got dinged. It's a sad day for all of us. But I'm sure that your car still looks fabulous. B)