1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First post - Help me buy my Prius please ! :-)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by daikon, Oct 24, 2009.

1. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone!

I have been a reader for quite a while why I was dreaming about owning a Prius and trying to decide when I should finally get rid of my old car and turn my dream into a reality! In that time I have learned a lot from everyone about the Prius and everything it can do and have just fell more and more in love with the car. :D

:violin:Fate in the form of a 18 year old girl, texting while speeding through a red light, came crashing into me and I am now, after burying my camry, in the position to finally purchase a prius! :p

I have been spending an obscene amount of time looking for slightly used Prius. What I have been trying to find is a newer (2006~2009 less than 30k miles), loaded (leath, nav, bluetooth) model for as cheap as I can (though I do want it to be safe, of course).

I have not really limited my search to home, but, I found the following in south florida and am not sure if I should jump on these or keep looking...

18,500 plus T.T.T - 2008 19k-ish miles, leather, blu, nav -dealer

18,500 plus T.T.T -2008 touring 20kish miles, leather, blu, nav, bald tires -private

17,800 plus T.T.T - 2008 20kish miles, leather nav (blu not listed but I think you can not have nav without it?) - dealer/broker who will purchase it at an auction (I will not be able to test drive and can only pay the auctions "independent mechanic" to look it over (I was told it was a toyota lease)

I am not sure if these prices are good and/or if I should have a mechanic look over the car first? Buying from the action dealer guy would be cheapest but not being able to test drive and have toyota actually inspect the car scares me. Some people have told me that since these cars are still under factory warranty that an inspection would be a waste though... is that true?

I can't wait to join you guys as a prius owner and try some of the mods I have read about here (EV sounds like fun..:))

I thank all of you for taking the time to look and help and I really apreciate anyone who can offer any advice/ tips/ suggestions!

Thanks again!

:peace::hippie::cheer2:

2. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, eliminate the auction car right away
    you're not an industry professional, and you're going to be a victim in that scenario ... walk away, forget all about it

if you buy the dealer car, you're getting a certified pre-owned car with a warranty

the dealer will have gone over the car, and prepped it appropriately, and while slightly used, and most likely a lease return, it's as good as new

is the private sale car significantly cheaper? will you have to repair, replace at a cost that brings you to the cost of the certified car? tires, for example? does the warranty travel with the car?

find out if the private owner followed the maintenance schedule, and find out why he's selling it, and why he's not trading it in for a new Prius?

when all is said and done, and you get the private sale car into the shape the new one is in ...

e.g. update the fluids and filters, replace the tires, inspect the brakes, fix the little dinks and scratches, give it an interior wash and wax equivalent to the dealer car, my money says they cost the same, not including the sales tax (which here in CA you'd have to pay upon registration of the private sale anyway, if you were honest about it)

1 person likes this.
  3. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I mostly agree with Philobeddoe, especially about getting a certified vehicle (I considered certified also, but ended up getting the Gen 3). As far as the auction vehicle goes, if it is a Toyota dealer and it's being offered with Toyota-certified, I would still consider it. I've bought 3 vehicles this way and have been happy all 3 times. If it's not a Toyota dealer and a certified vehicle, I would stay away. Given the choice and similar price, I would buy from the dealer lot or private party. If anything, I enjoy face-to-face negotiation over phone and email negotiation.

If you go the auction route, communication is key, and lots of additional pictures (if there aren't many detailed pics) is second. Ask the same questions and do the same research as you would normally ask and look for if you're physically there. Research the dealer reputation through the auction site, BBB, and various search engines. Keep in mind that people generally post only when they're dissatisfied, but consistent complaints about the same thing are generally a good indication. Get everything in writing -- email with a complete thread is nearly as good as a signed document, but be sure any key terms and conditions agreed to in the email are included in the final buy order. Be sure to ask for a "bottom line" price that includes any and all fees and the vehicle certification details. Not all certified vehicles are manufacturer-sponsored. One certified vehicle I bought at the dealer lot had incorrect tires installed (replaced by the certifying dealer) and I had to have the dealer correct the mistake, so researching the dealer and/or getting things in writing is critical.

Private party is the toughest route, and I would definitely have the car looked over by a dealer or someone who specializes in Prius. Also, be sure to have driven a number of other same-generation Prius so you're familiar with the general characteristics and can make a good comparison. On the "bald tire" car, I think that's a good sign (except for the low mileage and tires are already bald) since you can inspect the tire wear for signs of suspension damage. That being said, it may have been damaged and all four tires rotated through the damaged corner.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your help gentlemen.

To give a bit more detail...

The auction is through a guy who posted an ad/number on craigslist- I have no business name to really look up online or through the BBB. I will try to find out if the car is toyota certified- I do know that it is sold at the auction for toyota financial and was told it was a lease.... I will also have a chance to see it/turn it on... but I am no expert and the fact that I can only have the "in ouse" independent mechanic check it out scares me as he may be an expert and have no expertese with hybrids...

The private party car has an extended warranty (about 5 extra years ) that is transferable for a a fee (50 to 100.00) and he is selling it because "gas prices are not as high as they were" supposedly. I do think the person who is selling the car is loaded. Toyota confirmed 3 oil changes/inspections, an alignment, and an airfilter replacement in its 20,000 mile lifetime. I have been offered 18500, but may be able to get 18000

The dealer car is not at a toyota dealership so it does not have a toyota certification at all- just a car on a lot and I think it is as is. I have got the dealership to say that they will consider 18500ish but I think that I will be able to get them to 18000. An extra 5 year warranty would be 700ish through my cred union, 10yr 0 deductable 1200)

I am also considering a auto broker....but I am not sure how much cheaper they would get a used car like this for and if their fee would eat up any additional saving...

Thank you all again!

EDIT TO ADD: BTW do you guys think that I should work on the dealer price with the internet guy over the phone or in person? So far only salesmen over the phone have spoke with me and made these lower offer saying things like - "I don't know if my boss will say ok but how about..." and one said" maybe the boss will go cheaper if you are here waiving cash in his face " So far my response to emails has been - call my cell....

thanks again

5. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    run away

loaded as in rich, or loaded as in a three martini breakfast?

i think it sounds good
    i think Jim05 makes a good point about the tires, they may have all been rotated through the out of alignment corner
    there's not enough miles on the car to bald the tires from normal use
    what exactly is the wear pattern?

bald center treads is over inflation
    bald outer treads is under inflation
    bald both ...
    a) he over or under inflated, saw the bald pattern, and over or under inflated to compensate
    b) he's competing in drift races
    c) he sold the original tires
    d) he's loaded ... as in three martini breakfasts

get a carfax and see if that car was in an accident, and knocked out of alignment

fwiw, i'm aggressive with my tires, yes i've had three replaced over at under 10k for punctures (nails, screws, typical LA detritus puncturing an overinflated tire), but no excessive wear or balding has occurred, so i can't imagine what this guy is doing, unless he sold the originals and put used tires on the car

is it a "used car lot" or another dealership?

why not have them find you a car ... you don't seem fulfilled with the three you've found, and while there may not be better deals out there, there may be better cars, or more confidence inspiring deals

i thin you should go to the dealership and wave cash in their face, and see what kind of deal you get

if you're happy, take the car, and if you're not, walk off and keep looking

THERE HAVE GOT TO BE LEASE RETURNS ON THE LOT OF YOUR LOCAL TOYOTA DEALER ... if there's not, either buy that private sales car, or have a broker find you exactly what you want and just pay the fee

1 person likes this.
  6. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Philobeddoe,

Thanks - haha - your post made me laugh

-The private guy is loaded with cash- and I will check the tires again....

-The dealership is a Honda dealership

-It is not that I am needing confidence in the cars per se, it is just that I do not know if these are good prices. -The private party/ dealership cars look immaculate except for a few chips/ scratches likely from pebbles on the highway/ parking lot- nothing concerning

There is now a third car by the way, 16500 07, loaded with about 39000 miles- this car does have a small scratch/hole/puncture in the rear passenger side of the bumper. Since it is Sunday I have not been able to reach a body shop about a replacement bumper but searching on Priuschat i have seen around 500ish for a new installed one? Not sure if that is a high or low price- but 1 year older, messed up bumper and only 1500.00 less....I am thinking unless tehy come down it may not be worth it.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know but if you are in the market due to an unfortunate accident I'd guess you are currently without a car? So maybe time is a factor?

I think you are getting good advice from everyone. I wouldn't gamble with the auction vehicle either.

At or around $18,500 I think you should be able to obtain a really nice used Prius. If your window is 2006-2009 you should have lots of options. If you aren't rushed my only advice would be to perhaps try finding a few Toyota Certified Used Hybrid. This will give you a 3 month, 3000 mile comprehensive warranty, 7 year, 100,000 mile, Powertrain and Roadside assistance and maybe most importantly 8 year, 100,000 mile HV battery warranty. Plus of course Toyota inspects the vehicle, you get Carfax.

I don't know if this would push the vehicle out of your price range, but I'd at least call around or do some internet searches of local toyota dealerships and see what might be available. This wouldn't take much time.

If you buy a used Toyota from a Honda dealer you of course won't be buying a certified used toyota.

1 person likes this.
  8. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the car at the honda dealer looks immaculate because the dealership cleans the heck out of 'em

get a carfax on the used car at the honda dealer and the bald tire private sale, and just pick one

or, if you're not in a hurry, do like Electric says and shop around for a certified pre-owned or lease return Prius from a Toyota dealer

1 person likes this.
  9. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks The Electric Me...and +10 cool points for the avatar...

You guessed it right though...time is a factor...

I have been trying to find a "certified" prius but the differences in price I am seeing are huge (over 2k more for a similar car [miles/ options] and I think that the Honda dealer will offer no warranty/guarantee of any kind.

It should still be under factory 3yr/ 36000 miles waranty for almost a year (being an 08) and as far as I know that covers everything except wear and tear items (bulbs, pads, tires) so would there be any extra benefit/difference in having a "certified toyota 3000 mile garantee?" Please feel free to correct me on this if I am under the wrong impression.

Also would you say the 18500 price is OK, bad, great?

Thank you all for your help! I can not wait to own one and be able to chime in on MPG and modding etc....and to not be paying 30 a day for the rental (ouch!)

10. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks Philobeddoe,

That makes sense...

Is there an advantage to a certified pre owened since it is still under original factory warranty (the 3yr 36000 mile)?

I will check the carfax!

11. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Never buy a salvage, but from the list you posted you are on the right track, dont let a few more miles scare you the car is awesome.

1 person likes this.
  12. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Sandy,

I have been looking at so many prius' that they are all blending together...

just found a pretty blue for 16300 with 40k miles, leather, nav, blutooth and toyo certified....hmm now is 20k less miles worth 2000k??? that is the question...

13. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

BAM!!!!

there's your car

what's more important, the mileage or the money?

take the better deal, take the certified car, find out if it was traded in or a lease return, check the maintenance records

take comfort in that you're getting a broken in car, with all the kinks and quirks probably repaired,

and the car brought back to factory spec by a certified dealer/reseller :thumb:

git 'er done :thumb: :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  14. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HAHA, thats the million dollar question, right!!!:p:confused:

The carfax on the cheaper, 40k mile one says it was one owner but has no maintenence record at all!:eek: It also, twice, lists the cars color as different than what it is:confused::confused:

I am curious if I take the other car to a toyota dealer and pay them to inspect it will they inspect it the same as they would a car they were thinking of making a "certified" toyota vehicle? I have been searching a while now on google and have not been able to find an answer to this...

HAHA - I sooooo want too! I am going to try to see these two dealer cars tomorrow...hopoefully I will be driving one home soon!:cheer2::rockon::D:mod::D

15. daikon

daikon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So since I am considering the 2008 and 2006...are there any real differences between them other than gas mileage? I have seen the 06 listed as getting 60 city versus 48 or so for the 08. Does the 08 just have more umph at the cost of mpg?

16. philobeddoe

philobeddoe ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think the manufacturer was "forced" to readjust the mpg claims ... i think it's called a reality check

as i understand it, it's the same engine and drivetrain

don't quote me, someone more certain or better informed should come along shortly :thumb:

1 person likes this.