1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Post

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jstox, Oct 11, 2006.

1. jstox

jstox New Member

Hi guys, been lurking quite awhile which finally turned into buying. Was visiting Sacramento and happened to pass Maita Toyota, stopped just to see if they had a leather interior, really wanted to see before ordering. I described the exact car I wanted, 2007 #6 white. Not sure if it was luck or what but the dealership had one with exact specs. Apparently the person that ordered it couldn't get the financing and forfeited his deposit that exact same morning we were there. No hesitation, bought immediately at MSRP.

Funny part, I was gonna pay cash and my wife said why, we have a 35K credit card and she wanted the 32K in airline miles, 25K get's ya a round trip to Hawaii, so that was the plan. Finance guy finally get's involved and we whip out the credit card, he freaked. No way he was gonna get charged 2.5% from Visa for the transaction, he calls the General Manager. The GM starts dancing and say's they don't have to accept the credit card, not sure if this was true or not, wife threatens to file a complaint with Visa. Hmm, I want this car and got 2 people at each others throat. I offered to charge $10K and write a check for $22K, everyone agreed. I think the only person happy with this arrangement was me.

As for Maita Toyota. Top notch service, sales, follow through with courtesy calls, very professional dealership and highly recommend for anybody in the Sacramento area.

As for the car, wow. Last night I burned 6 albums on a CD and wanted to checkout the folder options, track listings etc. My 12 year old got worried and went to the garage, asked how long I was gonna sit there listening to Dixie Chicks new album. Yep, this car is cool.

--jeff

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol. Congrats and welcome to PriusChat!

Not a bad way to go, you're half way there to Hawaii.

3. xbdude

xbdude opticat

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sounds like a great deal. Congratulations!

4. jstox

jstox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 11 2006, 06:34 PM) [snapback]331492[/snapback]</div>

Thanks TP. I was curious, never had to mess with headlights on my Chevy Silverado for the past 5 years, it was an auto feature. When dark lights come on, off when daylight, very simple. Wazzup, all this technology and Toyota missed this? I've looked, dealership was also surprised, is this possible, are we overlooking something? Thanks for the welcome.

--jeff

5. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jstox @ Oct 11 2006, 10:06 PM) [snapback]331509[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to PC and congrats on your new Prius. An answer to the "lights" thing. Not everyone likes that and no car can have everything you want. Curious...when you had the auto lights, did you find yourself forgetting to turn them on in fog/rain/other light but bad visibility situations? I see that a lot with people I pull over for no lights. They say "well, it's automatic so I just let the car do it".

6. fphinney

fphinney Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jstox @ Oct 11 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]331489[/snapback]</div>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me be among the first to welcome you to PriusChat! I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy yourself here. I think this site is amazing. Most everybody seems to want to help the other contributors with lots of info & advice. And most everyone is civilized & cordial - - a rare thing on many other chat sites.

Your story rang a bell for me. Many of parts sounded strangely familiar. Here is what I posted last July:

[/font] "I live in a retirement community with about 9,000 residents. There are quite few Prius' here.
    My wife & I saw the Al Gore movie, "An Inconvenient Truth" on June 3. It really started us to thinking. On a whim, we stopped by our local Toyota dealer the next night! They told us there was a 30 day Prius waiting period. PERIOD! We did a little investigating, including going on the net. The morning of June 9, we decided this whole idea was crazy. We already had a '98 Honda in good shape. So that was that.About 2 hours later, the local internet salesman calls us & says they have one of those "rare?" cancellations. Would we like to come down & take a look? We figured, "What the heck?" It looked pretty good. It was white. Had a #7 pkg. We kinda wanted a #8. They said that they regularly upgrade some Prius' to a #8 by switching the seatcovers to leather, locally. To make a long story short, we signed on the dotted line that afternoon!"

7. jstox

jstox New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Oct 11 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]331515[/snapback]</div>

Thanks, but I liked having the option. Probably should of put my vote in the thread "What feature do you wish your Prius had?". No biggie, still an outstanding engineered vehicle.

--jeff

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jstox @ Oct 11 2006, 07:06 PM) [snapback]331509[/snapback]</div>
    It's a feature on Canadian cars. We get automatic headlights which is a nice feature since when the headlights come on, the dash will automatically dim. But wait, what if it comes on during the day, say, when we drive though a section of road that has extensive tree cover? The headlights will come on but the dash stays in DAY mode. Smart! The same goes if I turn on the headlights during the day. My understanding is that if you guys turn on the headlights, you have to switch to DAY mode either with the rheostat or with DAY MODE on the MFD.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Oct 11 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]331515[/snapback]</div>

LOL. Thankfully I'm smarter than that. I turn it on whenever it gets gloomy. I like our pinkish red taillights and I think they look pretty nice on cloudy days. Of course, it helps with the visibility factor since you want to be seen from behind too. Our DRLs are fairly close to full brightness (I'd say 80% vs. 50% on other cars) so even if I leave it on the first click (parking lights), I still get a decent amount of light from the headlights.

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations! From the sounds of it, that Prius was meant to have you. ;) It was sitting at the dealer, anxiously awaiting your arrival. I'm glad the financial situation got worked out to your liking and you got to drive off in a brand new Prius. :)

10. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    CONGRATS!!! I'm not sure what kind of mileage you will get going to Hawaii in your Prius...you can't leave it at home!!! :p