1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Post

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeffsmr21, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Jeffsmr21

Jeffsmr21 New Member

Sorry to be the latest newby with a question.
    I've been reading through the forum for a couple of hours now. Lot's of info!
    I am seriously considering an '08 Prius, currently driving an '04 Element.
    My question is if a Prius is for me...I think I already know the answer, but would like to hear any comments.
    I live approx 3-4 miles from work so my daily work commute is very short.
    We have property in Ky which is 165 miles away.
    We make the trip to Ky every weekend, average of 350 miles per weekend.
    I realize after reading up that short trips are not very "efficient" for the Prius but still must be a major improvement in mileage than my current 24 mpg.

Would a Prius be a good choice for my driving habits?
    Also a little concerned with winter driving to and from work as far as having a comfortable drive temp inside the vehicle. The Element warms up nice and quick.

Appreciate any comments!

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure, should be great...I have a lake place about 60 miles away I take the Prius to all the time.

Would strongly encourage you to buy and install...and use...and engine block heater. It'll help your mileage on the short commute and give you some heat right away too.

3. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I agree with Dr. Fusco, but look at it this way.... what do you have to lose? Certainly your mileage will be better, maybe not 55 or 60 on that short a commute, but you could (and probably will) get twice what you report to get now with the element.

Second, and often overlooked in the automotive community, is the fact that the Prius is an advanced technology, partial zero emissions vehicle. Therefore, while you're tooling down the road getting your 48 mpg, playing your ipod or CD player in your new Prius, you will be doing something to help our planet that you won't even be able to see.... i.e., partial zero emissions!!!! You can practically breath what comes out of our exhaust pipes, BUT DO NOT TRY IT!!!

So better mileage, better technology, better for the earth, better for us humans..... I have, and use, an engine block heater as well. It really helps with mileage in winter time, it helps the engine warm up faster and the heat get hotter, faster.

Good luck with your decision!! and welcome to PriusChat! B) B)

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a short commute too, but it's still way better than the other car was for the same commute. Go for it! You'll be glad you did.

5. samiam

samiam Antipodean Prius Poster

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey guys I really really like my Prius too, but if my commute was that short I would consider walking or biking to work at least some of the time. So by all means get a Prius, but get some exercise as well.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From Cincinnati with property in Kentucky? That must make you an FB. :D Your property isn't in the Red by any chance?

Tom

7. Jeffsmr21

Jeffsmr21 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll head over to the dealer tonight.

"Your property isn't in the Red by any chance?"

But of course.

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with Evan, and the long runs will be good for it each week.