1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Real Commute MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paulrubin, Sep 11, 2007.

1. paulrubin

paulrubin New Member

I've been driving around my local suburban town in central NJ since getting the car about a week and a half ago. No commute to work due to a death in the family. Lots of 10 minute trips averaging totaling about 150 miles doing about 45mpg. Certainly not terrible considering but today I finally made my commute from NJ through State Island's terrible 9/11 traffic into Brooklyn, NY and my newly purchased Prius made quite the impression on me. The 85 mile round trip which featured a good 15 miles of horrendous bumper to bumper traffic making me late this morning still get 54mpg. I was sitting right around an average of 61 til hitting the traffic the last portion of the morning trip. This car absolutely thrives on moderate highway traffic. My wife works with me and thinks I'm absolutely nuts but she is definitely impressed with my decision to buy a Prius now.

Note, I have no real idea what I'm doing. The AC ran the whole time. Two people in the car and I'm no lightweight. All I can say is I drove with a relatively unaggressive light touch, tried to consciously avoid my brakes without getting into dangerous territory. And rarely got higher than 60mph due to the traffic and NYC's tighter speed limits.

2. paulrubin

paulrubin New Member

I've been driving around my local suburban town in central NJ since getting the car about a week and a half ago. No commute to work due to a death in the family. Lots of 10 minute trips averaging totaling about 150 miles doing about 45mpg. Certainly not terrible considering but today I finally made my commute from NJ through State Island's terrible 9/11 traffic into Brooklyn, NY and my newly purchased Prius made quite the impression on me. The 85 mile round trip which featured a good 15 miles of horrendous bumper to bumper traffic making me late this morning still get 54mpg. I was sitting right around an average of 61 til hitting the traffic the last portion of the morning trip. This car absolutely thrives on moderate highway traffic. My wife works with me and thinks I'm absolutely nuts but she is definitely impressed with my decision to buy a Prius now.

Note, I have no real idea what I'm doing. The AC ran the whole time. Two people in the car and I'm no lightweight. All I can say is I drove with a relatively unaggressive light touch, tried to consciously avoid my brakes without getting into dangerous territory. And rarely got higher than 60mph due to the traffic and NYC's tighter speed limits.