1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Real Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by daniel, Dec 22, 2005.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure if this belongs in Troubleshooting or Audio & Electronics, so I'll post it here.

Today my cruise-control-cancel switch died. I use it a lot since I have the Costal Tech EV switch, and today it stopped working. In retrospect I should have seen (or rather heard) it coming, because just in the last month or so it has started to make a click when I activate the switch: it's the stalk contacting the hub of the steering wheel. It never used to do that. So apparently something's been coming loose, first allowing the stalk to move far enough to contact the wheel, and finally coming loose enough that the switch does not make contact.

My first thought was to wonder if maybe I've been using it too much, because of the EV switch, but then I thought, nah, the switch should be good for millions of contacts.

I have an appointment to have it fixed. But now I'm wondering if I should change to a different style of EV switch. But I don't want to take the entire dashboard out to go to the dedicated switch, and I don't want the side-effects of the headlight-dimmer version.

Just pondering at this point.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well, can you put a button in another location, near where the cruise control lever is? I wonder if others with the Coastal EV mod have had a problem too. I don't have an EV mod (not yet at any rate), but I can see how a control can wear out doing double duty.

3. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nope. The Costal EV switch connects at the wiring harness behind the glove compartment. Somehow it taps into the cc cancel switch, but it is entirely behind the glove box. That's the beauty of it: you don't have to run wires over to the driver's side.

You can put a switch over there, using Evan's instructions in the knowledge base, but it means taking the entire dashboard apart to run the wires, and then installing an actual button. That, of course, is an option, but beyond my DIY level.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would argue for reworking the whole mess to be a plain old
    visible *button*, i.e. not hiding like the Coastal version but
    right there in the open where the dealer service people can see
    it and if they try to hand you some warranty-related "issue" about
    it, you rip them a new one and place the burden of proof on them
    and finally get the real-life TEST of Toyota's response about these
    things. The Coastal approach does have a certain hack-value
    elegance, but the electronic function is so simple and the Prius
    hybrid system is already *designed* for it, that it should be an
    obvious control for the car's functionality.
    You could mount the switch down on that short piece of plastic cover
    under the center of the dash, i.e. around all the heater workings --
    pull the small plastic pin under where the power-outlet is and that
    whole piece pulls right off and provides plenty of space where you
    could drill a pushbutton switch through it. The wiring run back to
    the ECUs would be really short, and you wouldn't have to rip the
    whole dash apart or even come close.
    Now, if you want your cruise-control back, that's a different
    story...
    _H*

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The cruise control control stalk works by varying resistors, just like the other steering wheel based controls. Coastal's mod senses the right voltage based on the proper resistance to ground from the CC control, and when it does, grounds the EV pin on the HV ECU. If all your other CC functions work, then it is unlikely the mod is the problem, or even a broken wire from the stalk to the HV ECU.

As for using the stalk too much when enaging EV, I doubt it. I practically drive with the CC, raising and lowering CC speed to follow traffic speed, and hitting cancel for a coast if the car in front of me is slowing down, or I am approaching a red light. I'd doubt you are using cancel for EV more than I am using it for its intended purpose.

So it sounds like the stalk is mechanically broken and needs replacing. As long as you haven't been applying too much force on the stalk, it shouldn't be your fault it broke.

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks both of you for the input. I am not concerned at all about warranty issues. A lot of people have gotten all hot under the collar because of speculation that Toyota might void the warranty. But to the best of my knowledge, this has never happened. Why get angry at them for something they have never done, based solely on the speculation that they might? A bigger issue for me is that the Costal Tech mod was so easy to install. And I think that was their goal. Not a hidden mod, but an easy one. No drilling. No wires to string. And the cc stalk is right there at your fingertips (except while turning).

DanMan: Thanks for that. That was my biggest worry, that I was overusing it, but your report has put me at ease about that. And, yes, I am confident that it's the cc switch, not the EV mod, that is broken, based on the fact that it never used to move far enough to touch the hub of the steering wheel. When I started hearing the click I wondered about it, but thought I must have just not remembered that it did it before. But when it stopped working, I realized that the click was the first sign.

Unfortunately, I have to wait a week to get it fixed. That was the first opening they had.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Well, the question about the warranty was the way Toyota's Q&A worded it. Some of us, myself included, believe they meant a Prius+ mod would violate the warranty, not just an EV switch that used their own software using their own connection that is simply missing the momentary grounding switch that they do provide in other markets. But it is the dealer that is the first line of enforcement, which could go either way (how many of us have heard dealers deny claims for stupid reasons?), plus the only problem that could come of it is premature HV battery wear, which is really unheard of so far on the Gen2.

8. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I read the warranty wording as you do. Wayne Brown would have a really hard time getting warranty work done. Ha, ha. I forget the wording, but there was an "and" or something in there, I don't remember exactly, but something subtle yet clear.

I seem to remember some speculation that the reason the EV button was left off of the North American models was that it would confuse the EPA mileage tests. Considering how imprecise those teasts are, it's sad that such a consideration should have deprived us of a factory-installed button.

Anyway, today I confirmed that all the cc switches on the stalk work fine, except the cancel switch, which will neither cancel the cc nor trigger the EV. Also that turning cc on or off via the little button on the end causes the stalk to wobble as it never did before.

I suspect the real problem is that the stalk itself is merely loose, so that pulling on it does not operate the switch. But it's only loose front-to-back, not up-down, so that the increment and decrement switches work. It will probably be a very simple repair, once they remove enough stuff to get at it.

9. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 23 2005, 06:15 PM) [snapback]178360[/snapback]</div>

Daniel, I'm not sure if you'll ever see this post as this thread is so old, but did you get your switch fixed under warranty and do you still use the coastal ev mod?