1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Road Trip

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Fuel Economy & Prime EV Range' started by HacksawMark, Oct 9, 2023.

1. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Took my first road trip over the weekend. Portland area to Spokane and back. Drove a total of 990 miles with three adults and luggage. Averaged 52.7 MPG driving at posted speed limits.

One thing that surprised me was how comfortable the seats are for road trips. No leg or back issues at all.

daisy555, Preebee and tovli like this.
  2. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Great to hear. What were temps and air setting?

3. HacksawMark

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Temps were from the high 40's to 80 on the road.

I did fill the tires to 40 lbs for better mpgs since I really don't care about wearing out the crappy Toyos. The Toyos were really loud on the worn parts of the freeway.

tovli likes this.
  4. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Good to hear HacksawMark! I've only done a half-dozen or so short trips so far, all under 200 miles. Alas all had more 4000 feet of altitude change, so mileage numbers are all over the map! My first serious trip of about 5,000 miles is coming up, so looking forward to seeing what I get with the PPPXP.

Even on the 8,000 mile trip to Alaska this spring, my Gen1 still got 45-ish MPG on interstates and even 50MPG on roads where the speed limit was 55-60 (all roads north of Calgary!) The PPPXP has a pretty high bar to exceed! I'm not hopeful on getting access to too much charging while on the road, so expecting it to be a fairly apples-apples comparison.

will

HacksawMark likes this.
  5. HacksawMark

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    WIll B, can't wait to hear about your upcoming road trip. Wife and I are planning to go see the mighty five in Utah with an stop in Monument next year. It'll be 2,000 miles short of your trip.

6. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    HacksawMark: Not sure if you notice, but for me it is a bit of a shock hearing the engine suddenly after weeks of in-town errands on electric only! :) Oh yea, there is an engine in there, forgot about it! Even then, it has to be a big hill for the engine to be noticeable. For most of my trips, if it is level or a small hill, I never even notice the transition to HV mode. I want to notice in order to see the "final" Miles/KWh number before the car transitions to MPG stats.

will

HacksawMark and tovli like this.
  7. HacksawMark

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm quite used to it. I actively switch between Auto EV/HV and HV mode. On my weekly commute, I'll switch to HV mode when leaving town limits and on the highway. My commute is about 40 miles one way and I don't want to deplete my battery on the morning commute so I can use EV when I reach the exit for downtown Portland. There are no charging stations where I park and I don't want to drive around hoping one will be open. There is only one charging station within a block of where I work and there is a two hour limit so that would not work me for anyways. I actively switch between the two because Auto EV/HV prioritizes the battery while HV prioritizes the ICE.

Yesterday, we visited a couple nurseries in search of pumpkins for Halloween and I used the same methodology.

8. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    HacksawMark: yea, I've tried Auto HV/EV mode just a few times and it just seems that it sticks to EV mode until the battery depletes and then it (obviously) switches to HV mode. I haven't yet seen it switch to HV mode before depleting the battery. No different than leaving it on EV mode and having it switch. I'm sure there are differences between the two modes, but so far I haven't come across the scenarios where it does or haven't noticed.

I suspect one difference is if I were to floor it. Pretty sure in auto EV/HV mode that would fire up the engine whereas in EV mode it wouldn't. But I've been a Prius driver for 20 years, floor it??!! What's that? :)

will

9. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Auto HV/EV mode is nerfed in the US version - it basically just gives you access to full power if you floor it, but otherwise always prioritises immediate EV use.

Outside the US it makes "intelligent" decisions about where to use the battery charge based on navigation route information, aiming to deplete the battery by the end of the route.

(Actually, the displayed mode switches automatically, between "Auto EV/HV" and "HV Mode". So maybe you could argue that it's not Auto EV/HV mode doing that, but a higher-level control. But that higher-level control only activates if you've selected Auto EV/HV, programmed a route, and activated Predictive Efficient Drive).

#9 KMO, Oct 30, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2023