1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First, Second and Third Fillups

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tundrwd, Nov 11, 2008.

1. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Reported on my first fillup a couple weeks ago, but I'm now up to my third.

First fillup: 47.3MPG
    Second fillup: 45.7MPG
    Third fillup: 50.93MPG

Shortly after the second fillup, I increased the tire pressure to 40/38. Don't know that I'll go higher than that. But, so far, so good.

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A few things.

1. The tank capacity varies with temperature, because of the bladder. So using the fill quantity is prone to errors. I've logged every gallon for 31k miles. That's a better measure of your average mileage, which is what you really care about.

2. Winter weather hurts MPG; be prepared for some low numbers.

3. I doubt it's very useful to keep posting every tankful here...

3. Ron3KL

Ron3KL New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Tundrwd, perhaps you would benefit by heading on over to Mileage Calculator and Vehicle's Costs Analyser ( www.spritmonitor.de/en/ )and sign up as a member of their fuel consumption monitoring web site.

You can enter your vehicle details and each fillup. In return you get an analysis tool for your long term consumption, you can compare your vehicle with hundreds of other Prius owners, and last but not least, you get a link to a personalised icon that you can add to your Priuschat signature that shows your overall consumption.

You may have noticed other Priuschat members with consumption icons in their signature.

4. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Realize that. That's why, so far, I've used the same pump at the same station at about the same time of day (and near as I can get), same ambient temp. It's always on my way home, after I've driven 30 or so miles. Hopefully, that knocks a few variables down to a manageable level - the pump shut off, temp, etc.

Noted. That's one reason I'm fairly happy with the last tank, since it's we've already had a hard frost or two, daytime highs are in the mid-50's, and nighttime temps have been averaging in the mid 30's to low 40's

Yup - quite true, and have no intention to continue. However, there seem to be a number of people wondering about mileage in their new Prius, so I'm merely putting some info out about another new vehicle, and what it's getting. While we all may well know that it's driving style (and a number of other factors, temp, etc.), some may feel that information from another person with a new vehicle has more "credence" than a person with a 4 year old Prius and 80K miles on it, with lots of experience driving that Prius.

5. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Based on your reply, you sound like a very sensible, logical, and reasonable person. Glad to have you aboard!

Take a moment and update your profile: vehicle type/year, maybe your city (KS is a big place).

6. tundrwd

tundrwd Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you. I'd like to think so, but my wife often thinks otherwise ;)

Sorry, I like to participate, but do like to keep a certain amount of privacy (if there's any such thing left in the world). I'd like to think that for those who wish to use personal information nefariously, I've at least added 5 minutes to their efforts by being a bit more obscure.

I might give a more generalized location, rather than something a bit more specific.