1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Jul 11, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Hi! Does anyone have any recommendations for where to get the Prius serviced in San Diego? Thanks!

I am used to going a year between oil changes and tire rotations (didn't drive as much and didn't share the car with DH) , so this snuck up on me. It has been five months since we purchased the car.

Any other tips?

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Kearney Mesa Toyota is very good. If you bring in your own oil (like if you want to change to synthetic) they'll deduct that from your bill. I would avoid Frank Toyota. They'll do the same with the oil, but they overfilled the oil (when I complained they said that over the Full mark was normal for a Prius), rotated the tires (but did not check pressure so they became 40/42) and changed the temp to an amusing (but rude) 69 degrees. I live closest to San Diego Toyota, but don't use them. I have mixed feelings about Bob Baker. They made a mistake last time, but corrected it immediately at no charge.

My 20K is here and I'll be taking Blue Belle to Kearney Mesa Toyota as I got my recall notice.

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are people who like San Diego Toyota and Frank. I do not recommend Bob Baker or El Cajon. I love to shop so I actually take mine back up to Carlsbad where I bought it and go to the outlet mall while they work. They are always done before I am!

4. sunnysandiegan

Thanks! I ran into another Prius owner today and she also uses Kearny Mesa Toyota. We have had numerous BAD experiences there with the sales staff and I had one bad experience with the Parts Department. (We purchased elsewhere even though KMT is the closest to us.) Never tried the Service Dept before, but I called them and they said one hour and $60 for the 5000 mile service (no appt needed). Yet, an oil change is $24. When I asked what costs the additional $36, she said they rotate the tires and visually inspect the brakes and top off the fluids. Hmmm...

(I actually asked for an oil change and she asked me how many miles and went on about the 5K service.)

5. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The 5000 mile service is basically a filter and oil change. You can do this just about anywhere and save time and money over going to an authorized Toyota dealer. My car has 43,000 miles on the odometer and I have only visited the dealer once, for the ECM update. B)

6. sunnysandiegan

Well, I went to KMT today, but came home without getting anything done. They told me on the phone one hour. They have a sign that says Express Lube guaranteed in 59 minutes. Well, I arrived at 1:45 pm and it took them 20 minutes to have someone come over to find out what I needed. (The initial girl had checked me in and had me and my child wait outside the car, but next to it, in the middle lane with cars driving on both sides of us...grrrr) I needed to get our child somewhere by 3:15 pm (five minute drive...a little too far to walk considering we had already walked three miles earlier) and he flat out told me I would be a few minutes late. It wasn't something we could be "a few minutes late" to, so I left. I haven't decided if I will return or not, but I am not impressed thus far.

*I* wouldn't bother with a dealer for this, but DH is insisting it go to the dealer for at least its first "check up". His reasoning is it is not your average car and the Prius techs would know what is looking normal for this car and what is not at this stage. Also, they could see if it needs the recall or not and other little things. In my 20 minutes of standing in the driveway, I saw at LEAST 3 other Prii in service bays so I know they see a lot of them.

Anyone got any other suggestions for places in San Diego? Is it JUST an oil change that is needed? How often do tires need to be rotated? The manual is in the car, which is not here right now for me to check. What fluids would be low at 5000 miles?

Thanks!

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt @ Jul 11 2006, 02:30 PM) [snapback]284615[/snapback]</div>
    Although you can do it just about anywhere, or even do it yourself, be sure to keep the receipts to prove it was done in case of trouble later on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sunnysandiegan @ Jul 11 2006, 09:39 PM) [snapback]284806[/snapback]</div>
    The 5K, 10K, 20K and 25K do mainly the oil and filter change, rotate the tires and visual inspection of the brake pads and discs. The fluids would be the windshield washer fluid, plus seeing that the brake and power steering fluids are up to snuff.

The 15K and 30K are a much more thorough inspection, looking at stuff like the ball joints, inverter coolant and steering linkage. Take a look at this Maintenance Schedule. It's for the 2004, but you get the idea.