1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First take of gas MPG numbers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by BrettS, Jan 24, 2011.

1. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First tank of gas MPG numbers

I just finished my first tank of gas on my new 2010 Prius and here are the numbers...

Total of 501.3 miles driven using 9.861G of gas, for an average of 50.84MPG. The car claimed 54.9MPH, which I think might be a bit optimistic.

However, since it was the first tank of gas in a new car the dealer filled it for me and then drove a short distance from the gas station to the dealership before I reset the trip odometer. Since I don't know if they totally filled it, and I missed a few miles that were driven on that tank I suspect the real number might be somewhere between the two. Still, though... I'm very happy staying north of 50MPG over a tank of gas. We'll see how tank 2 goes in a week or two.

For anyone interested, I live in Orlando Florida and the temps here have mostly been in the 60's over the past week and a half that I have been driving this car. A few mornings in the low 40's and a few afternoons were in the mid 70's. Only one day with light rain that I can recall.

My commute is about 25 miles one way, and 15 of those are highway and 10 on surface streets.

2. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Warm dry weather is a big plus in the Prius. Here in the
    northwest temps in the 40's with rain takes a big toll on
    MPG's. Last fillup calculated was 41.7 MPG.

During the winter here you will not normally see anywhere
    near 50 MPG unless the roads are dry.

Summer in warm weather 50 MPG is easily obtained and on
    a highway trip at moderate driving speed 60 MPG can be achieved.

al

3. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The mileage increased on my car from the mid-40s mpg when new to the mid-50s mpg after about 10,000 miles. So starting at 50mpg is a great place to be.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Re: First tank of gas MPG numbers

My MID is routinely ~7% higher than the calculated fuel economy. You've got a good start. Increase the tp & adjust to the car.

5. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's awesome! I haven't driven the car since yesterday morning (telecommuting this week), but I'm looking forward to getting 40 mpg someday in the future. My commute is all of 6 miles, no freeway, no highway.

6. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LottaMoxie, I was able to obtain over 50MPG during May - September, but now am going down south of 50. In December and January, I started using the Prius to go back and forth to the train station so it really went down since not only was it below 20 when driven but also just drove a mile while it was cold!

I got up to 42MPG but will be going down the rest of the week!