1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Tank - 502 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by the fish, Mar 6, 2006.

1. the fish

the fish Member

I am excited to report about my first fill-up. I was so excited to go to the gas station - the whole family was with me. We stopped short of taking pictures.

MFD has been showing between 50-51 mpg for most of the time. This is after a week of commuting (8 miles, 17 minutes each way) and a few trips to Atlanta area (150 miles round trip, mostly 65 and 55 mph speed limits).

The ODO shows 506 miles and MFD showed 50.8 and 502 miles (reset by dealer after they filled it up at delivery). I had just gotten down to one bar (no blinking) at 496 miles so I decided to fill up. The pump clicked at 8.7 gallons. I thought no way could the MFD be that far off (57.7 mpg calculated versus 50.8 mpg on display). So I kept filling.

In my previous cars, I would always put another gallon in after the click. That was a struggle to do with the Pruis, but the total fill up came to 10.0 gallons after 5 minutes of topping off (won't do that again). Since I don't know fall the dealer filled it up, I'll just say the MFD was close enough for me. I am more than happy to get 50 mpg after years of 18-20mpg.

The MFD reset the miles after the fill-up, but the average mpg did not reset. I read somewhere else that the 2006 models do not reset. I suppose I will have to do that manually to see how accurately the car calculates mpg for each tank.

I would rather have the car show me each tank and keep the lifetime myself.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Awesome to have reached a 500-mile tank on your first tank! :) I also have a 2006, but manually reset my mfd. When I do that, it resets both my miles on the consumption screen, as well as the average mpgs on the same screen. (Ie: the miles gets reset to 0 and the average mpg gets reset to 0.0 at each fill up)...

3. the fish

the fish Member

I plan on doing that after this next tank. I am already 40 miles into tank #2 so I combine it with the first for the result.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have always manually reset the MFD when i filled up. mine is supposed to reset the MFD itself. but the first time i filled up, i sat at the gas station not wanting to move and mess up my stats. so i waited and waited and waited. after about 2-3 mins the ICE came on (i had the air conditioning cranking) so i said heck with it. reset it manually and left, been doing that way ever since.

5. the fish

the fish Member

Just turned 1,000 miles on the ODO and still on second tank. Fuel guage dropped to one blip with 489 miles on this tank.MFD shows a combined 50.9 MPG for the first 1,000.

I plan on taking this tank to the blinking light. Maybe I'll get 550 out of this one. Gotta love the range of this car!

6. Prakash

Prakash New Member

I once got 545 miles on a full 11.9 tank.

Depending on how you drive. I had it down to an average of
    56 mpg, and then with college and all, rushing around town
    I am at about 48 mpg currently.

7. the fish

the fish Member

I hope to get at least 525 miles before the low fuel warning (when I will refuel). I would love to get 550 miles out of this tank.

8. chich2000

chich2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I did the samething after my first fill but I decided not to manually reset it so I took off and just as I left the gas station the MFD reset by itself. I just let it do it's thing now. I suggest trying this and if it doesn't reset I have it checked.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am still on my first tank. About 250 miles on ODO and averaging 47.2 MPG. I was doing 51 MPG and did many short trips today. I am really hook on driving this thing. The accelerator padel has an amazing control and responsive at low speed. I am still adjusting driving a heavier car since my last car weighted 2,450 lbs. I do hope to break 500 miles per tank one day :D

Dennis

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like chich2000 said... leave the gas station. The system won't reset untill some sort of distance is on the odometer. I remember doing this my first time too :)

11. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a 2006 as well. After a refuel the MFD automagically resets the mileage back to zero but the MPG stays no matter if I let the system do it for me or I reset it manually.

Now I hear in this thread that two different 2006's are behaving differently. One does the same as mine and does not reset the MPG back to zero and the other does.

How can this be? I would love some kind of explanation why this is happening....any clues anyone?

Cheers

12. the fish

the fish Member

I believe that is normal for a 2006. I am seeing the same thing.

Chich2000, are both your trip meter and mpg reseting automatically on the MFD? Or is just the trip meter reseting?