1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Tank mileage reporting ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by hyb07, Nov 2, 2006.

1. hyb07

hyb07 New Member

Hello,

413miles and still going.

I love my baby. I just going still on my first tank of gas and my odometer reading shows 413miles. Iam at the last sqare block of the fuelgauge and been there for the last 30minutes of driving. I dont know yet howmany more miles I can hit before it starts to blink.

I drive about 45 to 90 minutes daily oneway to work depend on the traffic on Washington D.C metor area. I am using defrost, heater and sometimes A/C to keep the inside temp around 72degree. Sometime I swith off defrost and a/c if weather permits and windows rolled down a bit. And I always listen to somesort of music, either radio, cd etc while driving., My average speed is 35-45MPH on the backroads, and 65MPH on the beltway/express way (I dont want to hit 70MPH before the breakin period of 1000 miles).

I love my hybrid Prius and when I drive it give me a satisfaction that Iam doing something good in return to the world especially to the environment.

Thank you and happy hybrid driving.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    not bad for your first tank! I remember getting about 400 miles on my first one, and it felt so good - compare that to my old car, which would only go 270 per tank (every time too, regardless of driving conditions).

Anyways, don't make the mistake many new owners make - fill up! when the last pip starts blinking, you probably have less than a gallon of gas (maybe only enough for 10-15 miles...), so it's better to be safe than sitting on the side of the road!

3. danatt

danatt New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just finished first week with my 2007 black pkg#5 Prius. Here's what the computer told me for mileage:

Day 1, ~ 20 miles, 40.4 avg mpg
    Day 2, ~ 80 miles, 47.5 avg mpg
    Day 3, ~ 100 miles, 49.8 avg mpg
    Day 4, ~ 100 miles, 52.9 avg mpg
    Day 5, ~ 100 miles, 53.1 avg mpg
    Day 6, ~ 100 miles, 52.6 avg mpg
    Day 7, ~ 100 miles, 48.3 avg mpg (first full day on new tank of gas, hmmm.)

Days 3-7 are pretty much identical driving - my normal commute, mostly highway with some secondary road and very little stop and go. Temperature's been between 45 and 60F.

Anyone think it's possible that the extra weight (~ 70 lbs.) of a full tank of gas could actually lead to a noticeable reduction in mileage? :)

Great car. I'm very happy with it so far.

4. ddhill

ddhill New Member

New 07 Touring, first fillup at about 450 miles, computer said the average was 47, calculated was 46.

I dirve back roads and some highway commuting. Doing 65 mph certainly boosts the milage vs 70. Makes me wonder when I see a Prius blowing by me like I am standing still why they bought a Prius......

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(danatt @ Nov 11 2006, 09:42 AM) [snapback]347441[/snapback]</div>
    For some odd reason, I find that my 06 will be more likely to register my first day (130 miles) on a new tank at the highest mpg for the tank. After day 1 on a new tank, I'll be in the 55mpg range on the mfd. The next day, somewhere close still, but down...

By the end of the tank, 52 or 53... seems to trail off as I get to the bottom. This is noticed over about 40 tanks as a trend. I've often thought the same logic as you mention... extra weight, as I lighten the load, it should get better by a hair.

When I put 2 or 3 extra people in the car, it rides heavier and the mpg goes down as expected.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the full tank theory is interesting, but i have seen the opposite. i started my current tank at 56 mpg and have slowly declined to now 53.5 mpg. the weather has turned to heavy rain, so that is part of it, but at the same time, the weather has been this way for nearly all of the tank.

i do think that the extra weight does play a factor. i notice that with my SO in the car. she is twice the weight of a tank of gas.

7. Cox

Cox New Member

50.0 mpg on my first tank in the 2007 touring - very pleased with that
    Filled up early, so 380 miles. Second tank was 50.5 - creeping up....

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ Nov 14 2006, 08:09 AM) [snapback]348717[/snapback]</div>
    Just curious. I know Seattle got snow yesterday. Did Olympia?

Cheney has snow on the ground and the current temperature at 4:48 pm is 12 F. The expected low tonight is 0 F.

My mileage has dropped to below 45 mpg. The only reason it hasn't dropped much lower than that is that I already have 200 miles on this tank. I haven't blocked the radiator yet, but will tonight if I get the time.

Dave M.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    we got about a ½ inch. got an average of 3-6" north of us and 5-6" just to the south of us, so we missed it all. still enough to make everything an icy mess like everywhere else. ... temps will be in the 20's tonight. drove around all day today, did about 90% of my christmas shopping today. temps ranged from 30-34º

one thing about this kind of weather. saw a dozen accidents today. with the exception of one car and a van, every single vehicle was a 4 wheel drive. i did some testing of the skid and traction control on the Prius and i must say, i am very impressed