1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First tank of gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Ichabod, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, this morning I woke up extra early before my alarm because I was a little excited; I knew I had to fill up for the frist time. I had been a little anxious because of some posts about people having problems with early auto-shutoff at gas pumps, and eager to get a log started for gas / mileage. Here are my results:

391 miles
    8.4 gallons
    45 MPG - display
    46.4 MPG - calculated

I'm guessing that I put in more gas than the dealer did because from what I've read, the computer always estimates high for MPG. Mine came out lower than the calculated value. We'll see in a couple weeks if that holds up. I'm also looking forward to improving those numbers.

Now I have a question for those of you who log and graph these things carefully: I based my excel sheet on one I found here that includes an average temperature input so you can graph temp against MPG. What source do you use for avg temp? Just read it off the display when you fill up? Or is there a good source for (nicely formatted, easy to read) temperature data online? I've looked a little bit, but as you might expect, typing "average temperature" into google gives a lot of information about global warming! :eek: ...probably somewhere on the NOAA site or something like that.

2. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just finished up my very first tank of gas, right after I passed 500 miles.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Jul 27 2006, 07:05 AM) [snapback]293073[/snapback]</div>
    There is literally nothing truly accurate. Whatever value you choose is totally arbitrary, since temperature can vary so dramatically. Heck, even the time of day you primarily drive can skew results.

So basically, just keep filling in gallons & miles on the spreadsheet. Don't bother with anything else. You'll end up with enough data to after awhile anyway, like monthly averages.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Put it in the July 2006 MPG Averages thread in the Fuel Economy forum!

5. Tatania

Tatania Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Put in my first tank yesterday and had no problems filling up. 383 miles and display said I was averaging 43.8 and my actual was 43. I'll get a better read on my second tank since I'm not sure how much gas the dealer put in.

Right now my display is saying I'm averaging 45.4 so we'll see.

6. glenhead

glenhead New Member

COMPLETELY OT...

Ichabod, I love your avatar! If you're fortunate enough to be able to have the octothorpe on your plate, it's even better. ThinkGeek has a geek love t-shirt that reads:

"Roses are #FF0000
    Violets are #0000FF
    All my base
    Are belong to you."

I had to explain the whole thing to my wife - she's an accountant - but (shhhhh) she's getting one for her birthday...