1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Tank report and a Question....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by stomsf, Nov 1, 2006.

1. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So this is the first week driving our new 2007 Prius (Non-touring) and it's been a blast! Though I must admit it's distracting to keep the mileage screens on the MFD -- I keep edging my foot up to see if I can boost the mileage. :blink:

First the deets -- Black Prius with Tan interior, had the service I bought through install Leather Seats. Option Package #4 (all the whistles except navigation -- only need that when I'm not near home and in a rental car). First thing I did was disable the backup beeper and the seat belt beep is soon to be history too. Ordered a SharkFin antenna and a Dension ICE iPod unit off of PC. Thinking about a stiffening plate and a car seat cover for the backseat for the doggy.

So my first fill up was today (received the car on Saturday with the tank about 7/8 full, moderate city and highway driving) and filled up with 9.2 gallons -- for 396 miles of driving (43.1 MPG). A great change from our old car that got about 25 MPG but needed Supreme :eek: .

The question? I drove until the last bar on the fuel gauge started blinking -- thought the tank would have had less than a gallon left at that point but according to fill up still had over 2 gallons left! Or is this an effect of the fuel bladder?

Anyhoo -- love the car and thanks to all for the great info on this site! B)

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is the most asked question.

It's a side effect of the fuel tank bladder. Note that the bladder changes with temperature, so when the gauge blinks, you can never predict how much fuel is left.

Bottom line? If you wait till it flashes, you have to fill immediately or risk running out of gas. Just fill earlier.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius gas gauge (the "guess gauge") is notoriously unreliable and inconsistent. I was lucky with mine. It is pretty consistent and linear. But other have reported extreme non-linearity.

The last pip blinks when there is still a fair amount of gas in the tank because Toyota does not want you to let the tank run dry. It's a good idea to fill up soon whn that pip blinks, and it never hurts to fill up sooner.

Some people have reported driving a considerable distance after the last pip blinks, while others have reported running out of gas almost immediately, and one or two have reported isolated instances of running out of gas before the pip started to blink.

Chances are good you are safe for 20 or 30 miles after. But I'd advise against trying.