1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

first time car buying from (also, from out of state)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JonChance, Dec 17, 2004.

1. JonChance

JonChance New Member

[font=Tahoma:c44cf6610c]
    New member here - hope I\'m posting this in the right place. I\'ve been reading the boards for a few days but haven\'t come across any posts on my particular questions, so I thought I\'d jump in and ask.

Just put a down payment on a silver \'05 with Jason Smalley of Advantage Toyota in Huntington, WV. So far so good - very nice fella, patient with all my numerous questions. The car looks to be delivered there between 12/27-1/5/05.

I\'m located in NJ - going out of state was the only way I could get what I wanted at sticker and within a reasonable time frame. The car is coming into the US thru Port Elizabeth, NJ - 30 minutes from my home, whereas WV is a 10 hour drive. I\'d love to pick it up there as opposed to having them truck it down to WV and then driving it all the way back up. I doubt its possible to somehow get it from the docks, but I figured it can\'t hurt to ask. Has anyone here ever done this, and if so how\'d you set it up?

That\'s a real long shot, so I\'m investigating the different options to get it up to NJ - if anyone has any suggestions on that it would be great. Going in person to get it seems best. Amtrak only goes from NYC to Huntington WV 3 days a week and the train would drop me off at 11:30 at night. I could get a cab to a hotel room and have the dealer come get me in the am, but I\'m wondering if there are any local people here who can give me any another options.

My last question is about service and problems, if I run into any. I obviously can\'t just go back to the dealer if something pops up. Should I just go to any Toyota dealer and they will handle it? This is my first brand new car so I just don\'t know what to expect. Also, if people can tell me which Toyota dealers in Northern NJ are great and which ones to avoid I\'d appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance. Can\'t wait to drive my new car!
    [/font:c44cf6610c]

2. popsrcr

popsrcr New Member

1st, any dealer will service. I've done this more times than not.

2nd, got a friend that could drive you? Might be cheaper than the train. Could check bus as well.

Someone else will probably be able to offer other suggestions.

Enjoy!

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If you can get the VIN number you can set up the regestration in NJ ahead. I got mine out of state and flew in with my plates in hand. Check out the sales tax issues. They vary state to state. Get the check list for pick up and check the car out. Mine had too much oil and I was so excited I did not check it until the service people had gone home for the weekend and had to have oil drained at a Jiffy Lube. Keep you eyes on the road driving home! Drive safely and have fun and good luck

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You have the car serviced at any Toyota dealer. For basic stuff, oil, etc, it can be done anywhere or DIY. Just keep the receipts for your warranty.

Plus, warranty work can be done at ANY Toyota dealer so if something comes up, you don't have to go back to WV.