1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Time Disappointment w/Toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by aubergaz, Dec 23, 2008.

1. aubergaz

aubergaz New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had my first disappointment with a Toyota response to a problem.

I've had my 06 since April of that year. I'm used to its temperment. Like many my fuel gauge drops slowly. When I'm down half full I've normally gone about 275 miles (I know I'm not going to get 550 off the tank). When I'm down to one bar I'll normally fill up and take about 10-10.5 gallons.

After an aux battery failure, that initially corrected itself, I noticed my gauge was acting a little strange. After replacing the battery it still seemed to be acting unusually.

When I went to fill it up, after about 300 miles or so, it only took about 7 gallons. The gauge was a full 10 bars. The gauge started to go down after about 70 miles, rather than the 120 or so it normally took. Once again when I was down to about a bar, it only took just over 7 gallons again.

I talked to my dealership which said they had a service bulletin indicating that in 'cold' weather, there could be fluctuations in what the bladder would hold. I live in Phoenix. Cold for us is low 40's in the middle of the night. I was filling up during the day when temps were 55-60 degrees. If that is cold, what do you folks in Minnesota, Wisconsin, N Dakota get?

My mileage is still running 46.5 to about 51. The gauge 'fills' and just seems to go down faster.

My dealership said to open a 'report' with Toyota which I did. My rep, someone named 'Brittany' I believe, merely is reciting the service bulletin, but hasn't quite understood that this is my 3rd winter with the car. Why hasn't this happened before? And why when I was at Bryce Canyon with tempatures around 18-20 degrees did this problem not occur.

She steadfastly said noone from Toyota would address the issue until the dealership identified a specific problem. That's NOT good customer service. I'm telling them there is a problem. Their service bulletin just speaks to 'cold' weather, but gives no definition of what 'cold' is. I sure don't think that 55-60 degrees is 'cold'. It may be cold to us in Phoenix, but I know the vehicle operates in much colder climates than this!

If anyone has had similar problem that has been identified by their dealership with a resolution, please let me know.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    if you don't get as much gas in, the gauge will definitely start to drop sooner. as for the connection between the new aux battery and the gas fill problem, there's no feasible way that a new 12v can cause a change in the gas tank.

personally, it's extremely uncommon for me to get much more than 8 gallons in the tank. i usually run it until the last bar is blinking. really, i wouldn't get too worried about it.

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine consistently blinks around the 8-gallon level all year long. Of course, I never push it or top off. That probably helps.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So are you saying that your Prius doesn't take as much gas as it used to? That's a common complaint when the weather gets cooler, and yes, your weather is cooler. It is even more pronounced with our cold winter weather.

Tom

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ugh I barely got 7.5 gal in at 23F weather. In the summer, it's closer to 10 gal.

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At one pip I've only been able to get 8.9 gallons in, max (summer or winter.) Usually it is less than 8 gallons. I wish I could get 10. Effectively, I have no more than an 8 gallon tank at present and that isn't satisfactory.

7. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can barely squeeze in 5 gallons :p

8. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes........
    Thought this was strange myself.
    Regularly below freezing here at this time, but at one bar 7-8 gallons then full.
    I'm afraid to let it go below that one bar...........

9. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Same here. The best I've been able to get in is around 8 gal.. I have read here about people still going 100 miles after the blink. I don't think that I would try it though.

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do I see a market for Australian tanks without a bladder?