1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First-Time Hybrid Owner ('02 Prius)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by FinsUp99, Aug 9, 2012.

1. FinsUp99

FinsUp99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Got a one-owner '02 Prius with 101k for $4400 ($5200 out the door). Original owner was 68 years old. I swear I can't find one exterior speck of rust anywhere even though salty midwest winters can be rough. Only small rock nicks and a small door ding from what looks like another car door. Main battery was replaced at 79k as a warranty repair. Old manual had the previous owner's name and I found her phone number so I have a source of information I might explore soon. Still working on my first tank but I'm about 75% highway/25% city and I'm getting just under 49mpg.

I need to do some serious studying on how a hybrid engine works and what to watch out for.

Likes....
    -Fuel economy: My god.....I doubt I'll ever own another gas exclusive car again.
    -Quiet ride: You can hear a pin drop even if the gas engine is cranking.
    -A/C: Ice cold for a 10 year-old car. REAL cold. I could transport polar bears.
    -Looks: I'm married so I'm not out to impress anybody, but I truly believe the first generation Prius is better looking than the current design.

Dislikes.....
    -Cassette: Really Toyota? Even in 2002 cassettes were way obsolete. I will be installing my XM XpressR unit but will have to go the way of an FM adapter attached to the antenna. Not exactly easy with the antenna where it is. The cassette adapters I have are very noisy and I found the sound quality far better with my preliminary test of the FM transmitter. I'm not the best at car radio installation but I think this will suit my needs just fine. I will miss my old stereo's USB connection that my daughter just inherited.
    -Shifter: Why up there? For my height, it totally blocks my sight of some of the radio controls.

I could go on but I really would like any advice on things I should look out for. Can a visit to my local Toyota dealer give me a service history if the old owner went to the stealership? Belts, hoses, water pump advice.....I'd like it all.

Most of all, do you think I got a good deal?

Attached Files:

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Congratulations, you've got a fine car just there are some things we've learned over time that help the car run longer with less stress.

Try to cruise at 65 mph for better fuel economy and lower stress on the car. When going up large hills that have a truck climbing lane, use it and follow trucks at their climbing speeds. Going 70 mph is OK but above 70 mph for extended periods of time, the parts heat up and this really hits the fuel economy.

If you have an interest, I would recommend looking at getting a Scangauge II to provide instrumentation not otherwise available. You'll also have the option to add XGAUGEs, user programmed codes, to read a lot of detailed car data like traction battery and transaxle temperatures. You can also read out error codes so if (or when) something goes 'boink' you can tell what is going on.

Otherwise, enjoy the car, GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

3. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What a beautiful looking car! Congratulations! I paid $4200 for mine with 175K on it and a rebuilt battery. I'd say you got a good deal. What part of the midwest are you in?

4. FinsUp99

FinsUp99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm in Illinois. Bought it in the Chicago 'burbs. The picture is a little misleading because it wasn't detailed yet (tar wasn't removed, etc. Previous owner never cleaned the carpets but they cleaned up awesome). Thanks for the advice. I do go 65-68mph on the way to work and I have noticed the mpg drop off quite a bit. Maybe a trip through town to/from work would be better. I'll do anything to extend the life of this fabulous car.

Some fun math. If I can keep this baby running for 7.5 years, the gas savings will have paid for it. All the more reason to treat it as best as I can. Thanks for the info and keep it coming!

5. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I rerely use the interstate now. I've changed my commute (and driving habbits) to all city streets. For my 22 mile round trip 5 days a week I get 55+ MPG and usually between 60-65 MPG. Love this car!

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. w4y

w4y Junior Member

My experience is if there are a lot of traffic lights, it's better to cruise at 55-60 on the highway (in the right-most lane). I can usually average around 60-62MPG doing this at 60-90 degrees. If there are a lot of light, learn pulse and glide, but this tends to really frustrate people behind you.

bwilson4web likes this.
  7. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FinsUp,

Check below the radio behind a flap/door, you might get a surprise like I discovered about a month after I got my 2002.... A six disc CD changer!!!!

shane1969 likes this.
  8. shane1969

shane1969 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I did the same thing with mine. In fact I was a shop getting ready to have a CD player installed when I located my CD player.

9. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HEY, BRO! Just did my 120,ooo mile oil change on my 2002. I have a factory CD player in mine :) No nav though.
    I bought mine from a Toyota dealer, the same in fact that sold the car new in '02. It had about 74,000 miles on it at the time and here 4 years later still kicking myself in the nice person for not negotiating money off the price the dent in the rear fender, ashamed to say I paid $11k for it in that condition. I have enjoyed an average fuel economy of right about 46.7 Would be terrible hard to go back to a gas guzzler now but anyone want to buy it? I am a bit tired of running it 90 miles out of my way every time it needs service other than oil changes. I do my own oil changes nowadays cause the idiots who do it for a living can't seem to get it right! (long story but the short is when the dealer puts in a whole quart extra it costs about 4mpg off your fuel economy) oil changes are easy! on this thing with the right filter wrench.
    Yes, I can verify that this car will achieve up to about 65 mpg in the city, I have seen it. My commute is country roads with multiple stops and turns and 55 mph accelerations. Only way to beat my 47mpg is to go all electric.

Yea, things to watch out for; the first generation Prius had troubles with the power steering. I recently went in for a recent recall on the steering link pins. Toyota now warrants the power steering system until 2013.

DO NOT let whatever mechanic you take it to put this thing in Neutral with the key partly off, quick way to kill the 12v battery.
    The original 12v battery was a joke in these things, make sure yours is updated.
    My 2002 has now developed a brake fluid leak in the brake booster pump. Found out this morning it will cost $2000 to replace it. To check this get under the car and look up behind the engine on the passenger side and see if there's oil anywhere up there.
    Careful about parking on a sidehill with the steering turned, this can trigger a "triangle of death" light. Carefull about putting things in the trunk and bumping the front left corner of the trunk where all the sensitive wiring harness from the traction battery lie, this is sensitive and can trigger a "triangle of death" light.

10. jhknight

jhknight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this actually kinda pisses people off! You will learn to be hated in a Prius!

11. FinsUp99

FinsUp99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Nope. Just another storage area.

I signed up to Toyota's websote and got a detailed service history since 2008. Looks like it's been worked on and the owner got tired of the repair bills. Here's the highlights.
    12/08 Replaced bad battery (small one I assume)
    1/09 Replaced fuel tank and relay. Engine control module R&R. SES light on. Replaced ECU.
    8/11 Inspect power steering gear. Replaced pinion shaft.
    09/11 HV Battery failure. Battery replaced.
    05/12 (2k before purchase) Inspected for check engine light. Needs converter and actuator to conver.....

The last entry bugs me. I think I'll call the dealer and se if the repair was done or just the check engine light was cleared. Any thoughts on that one?

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It sounds like the 'hydrocarbon converter.' Between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter is a special, hydrocarbon converter. It is designed to hold the startup, hydrocarbons using a flap to redirect the exhaust. Once the catalytic converter is hot enough, it moves the flap and the startup, hydrocarbons are burned up.

The problem is in salted, winter areas corrosion can build up and seize the shaft.

Bob Wilson

13. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does that last entry show a part number. It does sound like the catalytic converter assembly. They call it "pipe assy, exhaust, front" 17410-21261.

14. FinsUp99

FinsUp99 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    No part numbers were listed. Part numbers were listed on every other work order. Think I found my first bug. Damn myself for not checking out the history on Toyota's website. Nothing on the carfax about this one either.

Any guesses on the cost?

15. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    MSRP $1192.11, I wouldn't worry about it yet. It won't leave you stranded.