1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Time I've Been Embarrassed to Own a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adebrunner, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adebrunner

adebrunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Anyone see this yet? A lady totally freaks out in a parking lot because a guy in a truck won't turn his car off. He is completely calm and totally minding his own business when this lady just goes off the handle because he drives a truck. Beyond that it's definitely her responsibility to move if his exhaust is bothering her, not his.

What sucks is it's got over 25,000 views and it continues to make Prius owners look like total eco-D-bags.

Edit: This is not my video, this is just the title of the video on YouTube.
    You got to see this, Getting yelled at for the diesel truck I drive - YouTube

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So because one nutter drives a Prius that makes all Prius drivers nutters?

Oh dear :rolleyes:

3. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some Cities have by-laws that give you one minute to turn the key to off or face penalty. Hal

4. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While idling is wasteful and mostly unnecessary I am impressed with this guy's restraint.
    The woman is out of line in more ways than one.

Mark A. Cooper likes this.
  5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps looking in the mirror every morning makes her angry? :D

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep I agree that she was out of line and that the guy showed a lot of restraint. It looked like there was lot of space in that car-park and would have been much easier for her to just move her car (probably without even starting the ICE) than to make such a fuss.

Having said that however, I do find it pretty annoying when people unnecessarily leave their cars idling where I'm breathing their fumes. Personally I don't find diesels the worst offenders here. The worst are older petrol (gas) cars with large capacity poorly tuned engines, you know where you can literally smell the unburnt petrol fumes thick in the air.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just imagine if all truck owners were embarrassed every time any truck owner acted like a jerk.

PopsicleMud, Politburo and finman like this.
  8. adebrunner

adebrunner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I agree that idling can be wasteful and unnecessary, the guy in the truck mentioned that he has a child with allergies, and he was idling so he could keep his windows up with the AC on so his kid wouldn't wake up.

And GrumpyCabbie, I'm not saying all of us are nutters, but I'm not saying we aren't either :)

Really, I'm most upset that anyone thinks they have the right to control what someone else does. If someone's bothering you, you can just leave. Nobody was forcing her to be there, she was personally offended and felt the need to reprimand this poor guy for a decision that he is totally capable of making for himself.

Crazy thing is his truck is actually relatively good on gas, too. Like 22 highway or something.

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So why is this on video? Did the truck driver she the Prius driver coming and started filming? I suppose it's possible, but it wouldn't be my first reaction.

I am always suspicious of videos like this. Dash cam video from police cars, security cameras, and things like that make sense, but a video like this is just too convenient. My first thought when I see one like this is that it has been staged for our entertainment.

Tom

2 people like this.
  10. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, she was way over the line.

You will find rude, irrational people that drive any type of vehicle. Being ashamed to own the same type of vehicle as some rude person is rather silly.
    It would also prevent you from owning ANY vehicle as I doubt there is ANY vehicle which doesn't have at least one rude person that uses it (including bikes, segways and just plain walking around).

11. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And yet the exhaust from a diesel vehicle (and older, more polluting vehicles - gas or diesel) usually flares my allergies worse than the ones from nature. Makes you wonder if it's the same for the child in the vehicle.

12. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF

I was just going to comment like this! Boy, do these 'clean-diesel' people need a wake-up call. "really, my exhaust is dangerous and toxic"? idiots.

Sorry, but this is where the real smug hits the road running for me. or not running in the case of most hybrids out there that have evolved and do not idle away, wasting fuel, and polluting.

I'm embarrassed for the truck/diesel drivers that have no clue. none.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I doesn't look like acting to me Tom. Look at her reaction at 0.24-0.26 when she first realizes that she's being videoed. Looks pretty realistic to me.

I'm guessing that this dispute probably began escalating before the video was started. Perhaps she started with a more polite request to shut off the engine and then after some back and forth with the situation escalating he began videoing. That's the way I'm seeing it anyway.

2 people like this.
  14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.