1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time on the road – Amazing!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Judgeless, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I picked up my Prius IV last week but had a camping trip planned so I had to leave it in the garage all week.

Today was the first time I had a chance to try it out. I was able to get 56 MPG on the way to work (35.5 miles).

On the way home I hit some traffic jams that help with the MPG. I was able to get 68.6 on the trip home. Here is a pic I took with the cell. I keep reading when the car gets broken in things will get better. Truly Amazing.

[​IMG]

The car had 1 mile on it when I picked it up from the dealer.

1 person likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can that only be read when your doing the actual driving or does it give u a chart after you are done driving? Cause im trying to look at the road, not all the fancy displays :)

4. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took that pic the garage after my trip. Hit the trip reset before you leave. It will show average MPG for that trip on the display. The screen I took a pic of will show 5 min or 1 min increments.

You can review one screen of data when you’re done driving. I think the 5 min will show the last hour of driving. The 1 min will be less.

5. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I looked at that and down at the bottom it said somethng about consumption and then somthing else. I looked at mine, and I was only getting 5MPG? How is that even possible, its so bad

6. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is the average MPG. If you reset the trip and drive aggressively the first 60 seconds it will show 5 MPG. If you turn EV mode and keep it under 25 MPH it will show 99.9 MPG.

7. jwads

jwads New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I seem to only be getting about 40ish MPG in the 250 miles ive driven so far. I live in Orange County, so is this to be my usual average?

8. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you drive a lot of short trips with the A/C on, then yes, you'll probably be stuck to 40-something. The A/C has to work hard to cool down the interior at the start of a trip, giving an extra MPG hit, more than when you drive over a long distance with A/C.

Try to anticipate traffic as much as possible. When you see the lights change or arrive at a stop sign, try to glide as much as possible. If you have to brake, do not brake smoothly to maximize regen. Don't use EV mode, it is usually bad for FE.

9. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have not been in the office for a week. On the way to work I was able to get 57 MPG. This is what I did on the way home today. I left from an account that was about 1 mile from work.

[​IMG]

The car has 800 miles on it. Today it is 93 deg and had the A/C set to 72 deg. I bet in no time I will be getting 70 MPG on the way home. I have not added more air to my tires yet but from what I read it makes a 2 MPG difference.

10. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Be aware that your MPG display is probably not giving you a true reading.

For many owners of the 2010 Prius from this site have observed over and over again after many thousand miles, like in my case now with over 7,000 miles. The MPG dash display is usually off by 2-3 MPG, over estimating.

For instance my last vacation trip MPG display read, "52.0" MPG.

True MPG, by gallons used and miles driven, was 48.8 MPG.

Alfon

11. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sorry guys, instead of getting in the mid-60s, you're only in the low 60s.

:rockon:

12. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't you just hate that. :p

13. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Life is good !!!!

14. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you guys post pics?

Best tank for me 59.1mpg

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You have use the "Advanced" reply screen and scroll down the page to the Attachments section.

Attached Files:

16. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for that Tony.

Wanted to put my two cent photos in. Trip B has never been reset.
    I am proud of them.

Attached Files:

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I took the hub caps off. On the way home from work it dropped 5-6 MPG. That is big. I am going to put them back on. I think having them on makes a bigger difference on higher speeds.

18. Glider

Glider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That sounds like a lot for taking off hub caps - didn't expect that much more drag. Not saying it couldn't be............
    Curious why you took them off. Don't like the way they look?

Y'know, it's always better to quote round-trip averages than one-way trips (so elevation and wind effects tend to cancel). If the elevation difference is only 1 ft per 100 ft, you can get 20-30MPG increases going the downhill leg compared to the uphill leg.

This is discussed by bwilson4web, fuzzy1, and others. Also, you can read more about it in

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...surement-mpg-vs-tire-pressure-in-gen-3-a.html

Isn't that a wonderful car you're driving? Keep on enjoying it!

19. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I put the hub caps back on and I am back to 68.0 MPG on a 37.2 mile trip home. The hub caps make a huge difference when you are driving fast. Most of the drive was going 60MPH. The average is slower because I need to get on the highway and off the highway.

I live in northern OH and things are very flat here. On the way to work today I was running late so I was driving 75 MPH and accelerating a lot. My MPH was down to 50.7 on the way to work. I bet if I left early I could get 70 MPH each way.

[​IMG]

20. Glider

Glider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'll keep urging people not to determine their MPG based on one way trips - because the average MPG on the MID changes with miniscule differences in elevation from start to stop - even down to 1-2 feet per mile. I will bet (and will be glad to be proven wrong) that if you get up early for 4 or 5 days and measure the MPG each way 100% on cruise control at the same constant speed, you will see a difference one way compared to the other way. I did this in Arkansas and saw a difference ( eastern Arkansas is very flat). If you have to use brakes, coasts, accelerations, etc. because of traffic while on cruise, forget that leg. {btw, you do have to check for differences caused by cooler morning trips versus warmer return trips or by wind effects -sorry about that }

If you really want to know your true MPG, you have to average both legs of a round trip {and then correct for your MID reading error! ha ha }. Of course, if you don't care what your true MPG is, and only want to see a difference in MPG when you CHANGE something, like hubcaps, then yes, you can test that on one way trips.

If you ever do try the round-trip measurements - let us know. Then you'll really know how flat northern OH is. </grin>

- g