1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time Prius owner and new to the forums

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ..., Feb 23, 2013.

1. ...

... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all!

First time Prius owner and new to the forums. Recently traded in my moderately modified 2006 Matrix for a 2009 Prius base package 2, gold/tan in color. Still trying to figure out what came on each "package" level.

Just got done installing a stiffening brace, OEM rear bumper protector & trailer hitch. I have WeatherTech vent visors, OEM mud guards, nav cap, and some more led lights on the way.

I am trying to understand the "instant MPG" readout, if I understand, it can take 3 tank full's to be accurate? I am floating at only 34 mpg :( at the moment, between two fill-ups. Is this monitor accurate, or is there a better way of gauging MPG's?

First fill-up took around 7 gallons, second around 6.5 or so. I do know about the bladder tank and am getting used to that.

Past that, I am enjoying being a Prius owner, well besides the yahoos that cant understand a Prius isn't a 4 second 0-60 car... I know I'll get used to the people that tailgate me like crazy right now since I don't floor it or because I coast to a stop.

- Justin

2. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

3. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    explore the many threads in Fuel economy section. I'm a new owner myself, and I've learned alot about mpg readings and driving techniques.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're in luck. I have the o8/09 brochure and found your post ..

There was a basic Prius with 15" wheels and Touring w/ 16" wheels back then.

basic pkg 2 was very common back then it had -
    cc, heated mirrors, CD w aux port, Smart key, backup camera

pkg 3 less common, but gained anti-theft system, auto dimming rearview mirror w/ Homelink, JBL 6 disc CD w/ 9 speakers, satellite radio capable, bluetooth handsfree phone

pkg 4 same as 3 except gained HID headlights and foglamps

Pkg 5 gained voice activated DVD nav system

Pkg 6 gained leather seats and steering wheel

Touring was pkg'ed the same, but they are pretty rare and I think were usually loaded, package 6's.

If you reset the MPG gage, it should settle into an accurate reading after you drive for a while. No need to go thru a few tankfuls. I recall my 2009 mpg running gage was fairly accurate to the mpgs at the pump. More accurate than our 3rd gens which are pretty darn optimistic (over 5%)

Most of the time i could fill the bladdered tank ok. Couple times the pump shut off early and didn't want to keep going. Just used another pump. Forgot how much I used to put in but it wasn't much more than 8 gallons.

5. ...

... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the replies and information! Now to get into the new driving habits.

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I live in MS which is much warmer than NorCal, so I could get over 10 gallons in the tank in summer, closer to 8 in winter. No idea where you live but you will need to judge our advice by your location.

7. ...

... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, didn't write in my location. I am in the Chicago suburbs and the temp has been floating in the 30 degree range lately here.

8. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would expect to have a small tank in Winter. Oddly it will be larger most afternoons than most mornings.

9. ...

... Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is going to take a bit to get used to, lol. All in all though, I am loving it a lot.

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    WilMent likes this.
  11. TX_SUN

TX_SUN New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for posting this. Haven't picked up my new Prius yet, but it is on its way from Louisiana. This guide is AWESOME.

12. WilMent

WilMent diacritic

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    nice guide

"Step on the Brake, New owners sometimes fall victim to this, not being able to figure out why the car won’t start."

That happened to me, I didn't step on the brakes hard enough the first time I pressed START and got the "Please depress the brakes and push start" Over thinking a simple word and got confused with the "de" prefix, I thought I should not press the brakes so I let go. It took me 3 minutes to get out of the dealer's parking lot:notworthy: That was my retard moment of the day.