1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time Prius owner: my story, and noob questions.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Reesmaxwell, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Reesmaxwell

Reesmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Super excited to own a Prius, finally! I had thought they were too expensive to buy new, and that a used ones might need a new hybrid battery which must surely cost $10,000. I had no idea how silly both thoughts were.

So my ‘99 RX300 that was willed to me finally got to the tipping point against putting more money into it to keep it alive..,thought again about Prius—and SO glad I researched it! They are Super reliable and hybrid batteries last a looong time, and aren’t too expensive to replace! Whew!

Found a 2012 Prius 4 with 67k on it. $12,400 from a dealer. Seems like a good price and Carfax didn’t indicate any issues. Kept immaculate by an old guy. Seems to run well, though I’m taking it to my mechanic on Monday just to verify it’s all in good shape.

Q: Anything my mechanic should especially be on the lookout for?

Q: My car is under the 100K / 8 Years point...so should I use a Toyota dealer for oil changes, tuneups, or does it matter? When would I use whatever hybrid-related issues are covered under the 100K / 8 Years warranty? (What are those things?)

Q: I am drooling over the trunk mat sold here in the Store.PriusChat site! I’d also like Mats to cover those seat backs for when I drop those back seats down to haul some stuff...but can’t find anyone making those things. Know of where I can get that back seat, seat back coverage? (Back seat seat back...that’s funny!)

Q: Lastly (for now!), anyone know about how long the accessory battery lasts? I’d heard people have to replace them every 3 years but that doesn’t seem right. (Anyone replace theirs with the yellow-top Optima? Expensive, but worth it?)

Whew, thank you Prius Heroes for reading and answering my noob Qs!!

Can’t wait to learn more here!!

bisco likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on your purchase and welcome to PriusChat!

1. Have all the usual car bits checked such as cv joints, steering wheel linkages, brake pads and calipers (note that brake pads aren’t used as often as a regular car due to regenerative braking. Toyota Canada has a brake service interval). Ensure the engine isn’t burning any oil. Head over to the maintenance section and look at the NutzAboutBolts videos and the oil catch can thread. I think there’s something in the engine bay that you could potentially clean out since your mechanic will be checking there (but i forget what it is. Something to do with the EGR system I think). If your mechanic is comfortable with disassembly, you or your mechanic could clean out the HV battery fan of dust. Ensure all fluids are fresh or at least changed at the last service interval (if you have the service record).
    2. The hybrid warranty only covers the battery, inverter and other hybrid-related parts. The Power Split Device (e-CVT) is part of the Powertrain warranty. It’s highly unlikely you’ll use the hybrid warranty. If you do a search, it’s rare (and we have owners in CARB states where the battery itself is warranted for 10-years or 150,000 miles and didn’t need to use the warranty).
    3. Those mats were sold in Japan as a dealer installed accessory. If you’re near California, you may be able to find a Japanese car store that may have a few left over. I think someone did find a US company but I going to have to find that thread.
    4. It ranges. Of course it depends on how you treat the 12V battery. Mine lasted 7.5 years before I chickened out and replaced it (so who knows how long it would’ve lasted). It’s not as stressed as a regular car since it’s not used to crank the starter motor. It’s there to turn on the computers. (Turn off the radio and fold down the rear seats then start the car. You can hear the relays clicking... Sounds like you’re starting a spaceship). Yes people have replaced it with Optima Yellowtop batteries.

Reesmaxwell, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

hey! i resemble that 'old guy' remark.:cautious:

all the best!:p

Reesmaxwell and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Reesmaxwell

Reesmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you!! Wow, thank you for all the details as well! And so timely! I'm bringing my car in in the morning, so again thank you! I'm bringing in your list, printing it off now!

I guess it's a GOOD thing I won't be using the Hybrid warranty portion! Means these vehicles really are reliable and well made! Makes me feel even better about my purchase. (Assuming the car checks out from the mechanic.)

Cool idea for searching the back seat seat back mats! Thank you.

Great to hear the 12V battery doesn't get as stressed. Maybe I shouldn't either. :D I'll put her into spaceship mode and take a listen, sounds fun! Maybe I'll decide to christen her Spaceship One-half.

Okay, I came up with one more dumb question while on my second drive (today): What solutions do you all have for collecting garbage neatly? Manufacturers of every car I've owned neglected to deal with this issue, and after-market solutions sometimes are unique to that vehicle, or vehicle options. I've tried the types of rectangular garbage receptacles which velcro to the carpet on the passenger side next to the central column, but they don't work well, and in my case the car came with rubber Prius floor mats (thank goodness!), so that wouldn't work anyway. Some cars have the shift controller where you can hang a plastic bag off of to the passenger side (hate this, but it works), but the Prius 'shifter' is more to the driver side. I don't want to garbage-up that central under-area with used gum and wrappers and such. I guess I could just line the flip-up area between driver and passenger. Wondering what others do about the issue of capturing the drives detritus?

5. Reesmaxwell

Reesmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've taken a few turns around the sun myself, but it sounds like the previous driver was in his mid 80s. I ain't that old. Story has it, his wife died when he was around 80 and her dying wish was that he quit being a cheapskate and go spend his savings by buying a mobile home and new car and drive around the country visiting his many grandchildren. So he did. But this summer he had an experience that made him turn in his Prius:
    Being that the Prius has to be on a dolly to tow behind his mobile home, he was not ever able to back up. That wasn't a problem as he'd always look for his exits and pull-through parking spots...until earlier this summer when he was visiting his son's new place which was a fancy house up a large hill out in the country. He found it, drove up to the top...and came to quickly realize the man holding the shotgun wasn't his son...and he didn't really have any room to turn around and certainly couldn't back up. After a tense and awkward scene, he was able to get some sort of assistance out of the situation. But that scared him in the "I'm too old to deal with this stuff" kind of way, and he decided it was time to find a vehicle he could flat tow. ​
    And that's how I came to be the new owner, spotting his vehicle at the dealer a week after he'd traded it in to them!

But big props to the old guy for visiting family around the country!

bisco and SFO like this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're welcome!

Hmm, I never really had a garbage bag inside the car (I usually just take the garbage with me at the end of each trip). But during, say a roadtrip, I usually keep whatever paper bag the food came in and use that as a garbage bag. The front passenger would be responsible for collecting and keeping the garbage in the footwell.

So, I'm gonna have to tap out in this one lol. Hopefully someone else has an idea or a tip/trick.

Reesmaxwell likes this.
  7. Reesmaxwell

Reesmaxwell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm obviously more lazy than you. :LOL: I really should just take stuff out when I leave the car...but I know myself and it won't happen. :cool:

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Tideland Prius likes this.