1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time Prius owner, noticing a noise that sound suspicious, other questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by maxwell13579, Aug 3, 2017.

1. maxwell13579

maxwell13579 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone, I've had my beige 2008 base Prius for about 3 months, and I have a few questions/concerns about it. First off, it's been making a strange clicking sound whenever I break, but it is not coming from the breaks but the engine. You can press on the breaks even when the car is in park and it will still make the noise, and it will make it for about 4-6 seconds, no matter how long or short you have the breaks on for. Wondering if this is normal or if there is something slightly wrong with it. Second, I recently did some damage to the front bumper, and was wondering if anyone knows of a shop or salvage lot I can get one for cheap (in the same color, I've been looking around my area (napa) and can't find any In it). Thirdly, I was wondering if anyone has any good methods of cleaning the plastic and felt panaling that goes on the doors. Thanks!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On your first question, search "brake actuator"; read up and listen to some videos to see if it's a match.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's he vacuum assist motor for the brakes. Since the engine does not run constantly you'll need another supply of vacuum. You can launch it by just pushing the brakes a few times. Sounds like a rattle snake behind the dash.

4. maxwell13579

maxwell13579 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turns out it is the break actuator! So... Is it supposed to be making that noise?

5. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes and no. LOL . Yes that's the sound it makes when it activates but..... it shouldn't run very often. That's a sign that its leaking and not maintaining correct brake line pressure (not a good thing). It will eventually throw a code and worst case lose braking assist.

The part is not cheap. There was a recall that (i think) has expired but if your car was included you may be able to get some assistance.

GOOD LUCK!