1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First-Time Prius Owner w/ Vehicle Service Agreement Question

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jamesmaya, Nov 18, 2013.

1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    :) Howdy! First-time Prius owner here in Chino Hills, CA. Today I just purchased a used 2010 base model from a local dealer. It was a personal lease vehicle, very clean with less than 29k miles. I got it for under $17,500 which I think was a fair price. Because it was 2010 model (originally sold in Oct. 2010) the orignial 3-year/36,000 mile factory warranty had just expired. But the vehicle that I purchased came with the Toyota Certified Used Warranty Supplement. I also purchased an 8-year/125,000 mile Toyota Certified Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement ($0 deductible) for $1,400. Dumb move on my part? :unsure:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes... try and get your money back on service agreement by going in and saying you'll claim buyer's remorse and cancel the whole purchase under what's allowed under California law unless they cancel their $1,400 swindle. If you get the money back put it in a special bank account for repairs and odds are you'll instead use it for a down payment for your next car in 10 years...

3. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A warranty is just an insurance policy, like any other. Toyota knows how to build crap just like any other auto manufacturer. My wife's Sienna needed a new engine at just over 90k and if I hadn't purchased the warranty I would be out almost $6,000.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Considering the vehicle is used, you have no way to know how it was treated and/or driven, although the service records through Toyota may be available. I would say you got a fair market price with the "Toyota Certified Used Warranty Supplement" which basically covers you as noted on attached, thrown in. The "Platinum" price varies but is less than most are offered by a Dealership. If you are happy with everything else and have thoroughly checked the vehicle, I say keep what you have and enjoy the car.

http://pa.motorwebs.com/toyota/certified_preowned/pdf/warranty.pdf

jamesmaya likes this.
  5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Well, the finance manager originally offered a 7-yr/100k miles Toyota Platinum plan at $1,800 but through some haggling, got it down to $1,400 for 8 yrs/125k miles. Still, I wonder if I could have done better pricewise, or cancel the Toyota Platinum coverage and find a better deal, perhaps with a third party contract

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would stay away from any Warranty that is not Toyota. There is Dealership on this site that sells "Toyota Extended Warranties" to members cheaper than most, however if you are already "out of factory warranty" this may not be possible. If everything you did checks out....don't waste time second guessing yourself.

Welcome to Prius Chat. Learn and enjoy your new car.

One question...how did you buy the extended Toyota warranty if it is past 3 year/ 36,000 miles. I may be wrong, but I thought it was either/or time out.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wow, that's a great question. The car was definitely past the original, factory "bumper-to-bumper" warranty of 3 years/36k miles (the car is just one month beyond the 3-year mark, so I assume that the original warranty is no longer in effect, even though it hasn't hit the 36k mile mark). Perhaps they were able to sell me the 8 year/125 k mile Platinum VSA because the vehicle was Toyota-certified? I need to look into this. I hope I didn't purchase a worthless piece of paper for $1,400! Thanks.

8. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea just check it's Toyota and verify the either or thing.