1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time replacing HID headlight bulbs.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SteveLee, Dec 2, 2014.

1. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just want to post a success report. It's not that much to many of you but to me it was very encouraging.

My HID headlight bulbs needed replacing. The driver side had been intermittently going out or not lighting at all for several months and cycling it off/on would usually bring it up. But recently the passenger side also started going out. Was stopped and warned about this. At nearly 160,000 miles it was certainly time for replacement.

Found recommendations for the Morimoto bulbs and RetrofitSource for the supplier and got the D2R bulbs for $40 a pair. Went with the 5k color temp. Called the Toyota service dept. and got a $180 quote for labor. Called another shop that gave a $130 labor quote.

I watched some Youtube videos of the process and tried the simple way first without loosening the bumper cover. I could not budge the covers, just too tight and too small of a work area. Then I watched the video of replacing the light assembly. Loosening the bumper cover and being able to turn the assemblies over to work on was really very simple and so much easier having all the room needed to work on it. My son and I replaced both bulbs and had it back together in about an hour. Having two of us didn't really make it any quicker but it was good experience for us both. I could probably do it again alone in 45 minutes.

Great to have accomplished this needed repair and to have new bulbs. Thanks to all the guys here for providing encouragement and examples that show many of the repairs for this car can be done at home.

#1 SteveLee, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014