1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First time that the Check Engine light came on

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Yakuzahi, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi. To start, I have a 2002 Toyota Prius. I was driving today, and for the first time, my check engine light came on. Is there any way that I can get the error code for this without having to take my car to the dealer?
    Also, I saw the ScanGauge II Scan Tool + Digital Gauges + Trip Computers in the shop section.
    Do I have OBDII in the 2002 Prius? If yes, is it worth it to buy this scan tool?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius has OBD-II. However a generic code reader, such as ScanGauge, cannot retrieve all DTC that the various Prius ECUs can log.

In your particular case, with a check engine light on, it is likely that the engine ECU has logged a DTC. In that case a generic code reader probably can identify the code.

However, if you had a hybrid system problem where the hybrid vehicle or traction battery ECU logged a code, I doubt that ScanGauge or another generic code reader would be useful.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Patrick, well the check engine disappear today but i will take the parius to the shop tomorrow to check if they can still find the code from the car.
    I will let you know what happened.
    Thank you.

4. Yakuzahi

Yakuzahi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well i came back from the shop, the guy told me after he search for the code that he see 2 undefined code and one that say something about the "catalytic converter".
    He said if it coming back again (Check Engine Light) so go to the dealer and ask them to replace it under the Warranty, i just want to make sure if the catalytic converter is like the hybrid system cover 8 years or 100.00m?

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You'll need to check your maintenance and warranty booklet to see what warranty duration applies to the catalytic converter. The Federal emissions control warranty would apply, not the hybrid system warranty.